Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 07:23 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
EXACTLY!

All of these people are simply sitting here trying to force their way of life onto others, despite the fact that these people's decisions don't affect them in the least. Why? Simply because they hate the fact that Forsyth county exists at all?

I just don't get it.

But it's completely irrelevant. The opinions of this board will have precisely zero impact on whether something like this happens, so it's just waxing poetic and throwing a bunch of opinions out there.

Forsyth is gonna do what it wants, and if you don't like it, you don't have to go there. Oh wait, you're already not going there, so why does it matter? The people of Forsyth aren't going to just sit back and watch Atlanta develop and not do any of their own development. If they want to work on their historic downtown, fine, I'm sure they will...but that isn't going to give them the AMC 18 with stadium seating and Whole Foods that I best this thing will. And who is anyone here to tell them that they shouldn't have those things?
That's the thing, though. DUNWOODY is the frickin' suburbs. Where you drive to the Target and the AMC 18 and the Whole Foods, and you drive everywhere.

Then you got 2 or 3 more suburbia cities north of that, where that type of lifestyle you speak of is offered.

THEN you got outer counties like Forsyth, that are much further from Dunwoody (a suburb), than Dunwoody is to Atlanta. So... where does it end? I guess the car-dependent suburban sprawl will just continue forever, because, hey, any attempt at metropolitan or regional planning = "forcing your way of life onto others".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 07:24 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Density = less traffic

People in dense areas drive less trips and those trips they do drive are shorter distances.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:34 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Quote:
Density = less traffic
Exactly.

And this project mixes office space, housing, and retail. DENSITY.

And people have the nerve to complain about it?

So the question is, WHAT, PRAY TELL, DO YOU ACTUALLY WANT THEM TO DO IN FORSYTH COUNTY, ASIDE FROM MAKE DOWNTOWN CUMMING MORE CHARMING?

And it's even on the Big Creek Greenway, which connects the area with a beautiful multiuse trail. This is precisely the kind of development that SHOULD be happening.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:45 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
It will affect traffic on 400 at McFarland, which then filters down the corridor to Alpharetta and Roswell all the way to I-285. The county doesn't operate in a vacuum.

With people that were more than likely planning on driving anyway. Nobody thinks walkable=Forsyth County and decides to move there because of it.

Mall of Georgia traffic is bad, but its effects are isolated. 85 south backs up Sunday afternoons from it but that ends south of 985. The only areas affected are the outskirts and that's for a regional draw. There's nothing special enough about this development to make it attract people from across Atlanta, it's a much more local affair. A job center the size of PC isn't suddenly going to pop up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
That's the thing, though. DUNWOODY is the frickin' suburbs. Where you drive to the Target and the AMC 18 and the Whole Foods, and you drive everywhere.

Then you got 2 or 3 more suburbia cities north of that, where that type of lifestyle you speak of is offered.

THEN you got outer counties like Forsyth, that are much further from Dunwoody (a suburb), than Dunwoody is to Atlanta. So... where does it end? I guess the car-dependent suburban sprawl will just continue forever, because, hey, any attempt at metropolitan or regional planning = "forcing your way of life onto others".
Even Los Angeles metro sprawl ends eventually. There won't be sprawl to Dahlonega because it's a long commute without there being any traffic at all.

Also, cost of Dunwoody and North Fulton is higher than Forsyth. If you could get the same home prices everywhere along the 400 corridor development would look quite a bit different.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:23 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
I applaud Forsyth for good planning.

They've enacted a really smart, forward thinking zoning code. We could take a few lessons from that here in the COA.

http://www.forsythco.com/CPFiles/UDC/udc_015_ch13.pdf

Old 10-27-2015, 08:37 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I applaud Forsyth for good planning.

They've enacted a really smart, forward thinking zoning code. We could take a few lessons from that here in the COA.

http://www.forsythco.com/CPFiles/UDC/udc_015_ch13.pdf
Meanwhile, bring up the subject of extending MARTA up there to serve this development and they'll go insane.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:04 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If this were being built intown people would be doing backflips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I don't have to worry with traffic, so I'm cool with it. Better than more strip malls. At least it is a start. Lord, if this were being developed ITP, you guys would be throwing a victory party.
Because it's closer to the core

Growth there is already bad in the first place. But spending 370 million on a urban project in Forsyth County what?

Exurbs are the far fridge of a metropolitan region to rual. means they suppose be less urban.

When people talk Atlanta sprawling they are not talking about Fulton, Gwinnett, Cobb, Dekalb and Clayton counties. They are talking about Forsyth County growth existence. The more Forsyth County is growing the more Atlanta is sprawling literally.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8571w9x5p1qbg499.jpg

This 370 million! urban project.......... could be

Downtown Atlanta...could use it
Westside.... .could use it
Cumberland................. could use it
Perimeter Center.... could use it.

Gwinnett place,....... ..needs it
Gwinnett village......... needs it
North Fulton.............. needs it
Cobb Town Center.......... needs it

Forsyth County..... don't

To me it isn't ITP v. OTP , it's core counties vs exurban. I understand a small project but a pointless 370 million! project in Forsyth when places closer in need it?

Last edited by chiatldal; 10-27-2015 at 09:12 PM..

Old 10-27-2015, 09:15 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Applaud Forsyth for smart growth too but places in closer in needs it.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:33 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Does anyone know witch of the 3 corners that it could be at, of GA400 / McFarland this is going to be at?
based on this comment > "“Halcyon will be the front door to Forsyth’s Big Creek Greenway,” Patrick Leonard, principal of RocaPoint Partners, said in the release."

I'm guessing that it will be adjacent to the Greenway entrance (see bottom of this map - McFarland Parkway
Trailhead).

http://www.forsythco.com/pdf/files/B...p%201.2014.pdf

Here's a satellite view of the area.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1090.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old 10-27-2015, 10:00 PM

764 posts, read 1,110,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post

Even Los Angeles metro sprawl ends eventually. There won't be sprawl to Dahlonega because it's a long commute without there being any traffic at all.

Also, cost of Dunwoody and North Fulton is higher than Forsyth. If you could get the same home prices everywhere along the 400 corridor development would look quite a bit different.
You obviously have never been to the North Georgia Premium Outlets in Dawsonville There is bumper to bumper traffic from them on weekends headed south towards Cumming and Alpharetta. Right across the street from the massive outlet complex is every chain store (Home Depot and Wal-Mart) with every chain restaurant you could want. When I go out there, it seems more congested than lots of areas closer in.

Dahlonega is the last suburb of Atlanta and the Outlet mall there was the catalyst for all of the peripheral development. Now, there is extensive residential development in North Forsyth leading up to the outlets giving one the feeling of continuous sprawl to the foot of the mountains.

If you want bargains, however, Dawsonville is the place to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta