Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 09:49 AM

3 posts, read 5,843 times

Advertisements

So after a long while of deciding where to move, we have decided to leave our condo in buckhead for a home in Smyrna. I know some people will tell me not to move there at all, but after weighing out all our options, it's the best for our commute and budget.

My question is this...what areas do you feel would be the best to move to, considering we are looking to spend around 300k with at least 3bed/2bath. I know the best elementary schools are Teasely and King Springs it seems. We have no kids now and would most likely move before a future kid gets to be middle school aged anyway. In looking at homes, we know some small pockets in King Springs region are very elderly and we'd like to find a place where there are at least some people in our age range late 20s/early 30s. I want to know if anyone has any suggestions on certain locations. I have a good idea about what is on the market now but am unsure of some of the areas. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Please limit answers to Smyrna/surrounding things, as that is where we decided on (yes, I know you can get better schools for moving a little further into Marietta). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 05:52 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,164,903 times
The homes just south and west of the Concord Rd and Atlanta Rd intersection might be to your liking, a few are historic if that's of interest... Bennett Woods is another area further west to the left off of Concord Rd, but before you get to the covered bridge area, which you also might like.

If either of these are what you've already found to be too elderly or are in the wrong school area, apologies!

You may want to keep in mind roads that are closer to the Cumberland area might be subject to severe snarlyness at times... although being within halfway decent walking distance to the new development (stadium and other venues) could possibly be cool, depending on it's success?

Old 11-24-2015, 05:55 PM

1,054 posts, read 923,903 times
The closer to Teasley the better

Old 11-24-2015, 07:48 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,676,485 times
Check out Hidden Springs -- there's a couple of 3/2 homes for sale there $285-$315K, built in 1999. It's Kings Springs district.
Bennett Woods and Green Springs are also areas that are in the high $200s/low $300s
Concord Village is high $200s.
You might find a reno in Argyle Estates -- most of them are from the 1980s.
After that, the prices start dropping to below $250K, for homes that are 40-50 years old.

Right now, in the Teasley district, you have homes for sale that are $268K (Argyle Estate) or less, or $450K or more. Nothing inbetween.

You'll find lots of 20 and early 30-somethings out there, mostly because it's affordable and reasonably accessable to downtown/midtown/Cumberland and the airport.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:18 PM

145 posts, read 166,293 times
My wife and I made the same move Buckhead to Smyrna. We found a new construction in the price range you're looking. If you are open to new construction, check out the new community Smyrna Grove.

Smyrna Grove - New Craftsman Style Homes in Atlanta

There are also some new homes west of South Cobb on the East-West Connector, but they're a touch more expensive.

For neighborhoods, we looked west of South Cobb on Concord to the Covered Bridge. Close access to Silver Comet Trail. Also, the neighborhoods around downtown and Taylor-Brawner Park are neat.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:11 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,676,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedClear55 View Post
My wife and I made the same move Buckhead to Smyrna. We found a new construction in the price range you're looking. If you are open to new construction, check out the new community Smyrna Grove.

Smyrna Grove - New Craftsman Style Homes in Atlanta

There are also some new homes west of South Cobb on the East-West Connector, but they're a touch more expensive.

For neighborhoods, we looked west of South Cobb on Concord to the Covered Bridge. Close access to Silver Comet Trail. Also, the neighborhoods around downtown and Taylor-Brawner Park are neat.

I'm not sure the areas you mentioned are in the Teasley and King Springs districts.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:33 PM

6 posts, read 5,733 times
Anywhere near Concord and Atlanta Rd. Plenty of great neighborhoods around here. I work right off Atlanta Rd.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:46 AM

3 posts, read 5,843 times
Thank you everyone!!
The more ideas the better as I know I mentioned we'd be new to the area.
Thank you again!!

Old 11-26-2015, 09:39 PM

145 posts, read 166,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
I'm not sure the areas you mentioned are in the Teasley and King Springs districts.
I re-read the OP after seeing this comment from you.

Quote:
I know the best elementary schools are Teasely and King Springs it seems. We have no kids now and would most likely move before a future kid gets to be middle school aged anyway

Old 11-26-2015, 11:45 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,827,443 times
I like the area around Spring Road the most.

Campbell Road which runs from Spring Road to Atlanta Rd. has a variety of selections from new-ish subdivisions, nice townhomes, and older homes that are not that impressive in appearance but are in established communities. I'm not a real estate agent, but I'm pretty certain you could find something in your price range.

Spring Street which is off of Spring Road also has some comfortable homes with friendly neighbors to boot. By friendly, I don't mean nosy but the type that feed and walk your dog if you need to go out of town. (My best friend and his husband live there.) Also, you'd be close to restaurants, the library, and the free gym for Smyrna residents.

Off Concord (Spring Rd turns into that), I like the newer developments as well as the older along King Springs. That's probably a good choice if you have concerns about stadium traffic because it's a little further out.

I understand you want to get opinions from people with no horse in the race, but I think you need to get a real estate agent to help you sort some of this out. I like Smyrna a lot, but it a little complicated. One street can seem like skid row and the next block up is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta