Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:25 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
BeltLine users should not be parking in private lots, but they can park on public roads, as long as they follow the laws. Those roads are public and anyone is allowed to use them, as a homeowner you do not own or have the right to the road in front of your house, all city taxpayers pay for that road.
Why would the BeltLine spend the money for a paid lot and have to continue for maintain and patrol, when they could sell the lot to a developer and be done with it? We already see that people have an issue paying for parking, so what makes you think they would pay for parking provided by the Coa and ABI?
What this issue comes down to is laziness and the thought that free parking is a right, but it is not and the business owners pass the cost of free parking to customers.
cq, you are hung up on free parking.

I didn't say free parking, I said it should be paid parking.

Why not just require apartment developers along the Beltline to set aside a certain number of spaces in their decks for paid parking that can be used by Beltline patrons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 07:46 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
cq, you are hung up on free parking.

I didn't say free parking, I said it should be paid parking.

Why not just require apartment developers along the Beltline to set aside a certain number of spaces in their decks for paid parking that can be used by Beltline patrons?
Why should they, it is privately owned and on-street is free? There is on-street parking allowed around Historic Fourth Ward Park and the Skatepark. The developers paid for the garage to be used by residents, the costs of the parking is passed onto the residents and the idea of the BeltLine is to create a corridor where people do not have to use cars.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:07 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
The Beltline needs its own parking.
There's a pay lot at Krog and Irwin, but I'm pretty sure it's not owned by the Beltline. I would agree with CQ on this. The Beltline does not need to be in the business of operating its own parking decks.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:07 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
With a bit of research, people who have their cars booted can remove them themselves without paying the removal fee. (wink, wink). A $50 cordless angle grinder would do the job quite nicely...lol.
I totally love this idea.

And I really wish an enterprising person out there would start a boot removal company. Don't call the boot company and pay them $75 to remove the boot, hire me to come out and saw it off your car for you! I'm sure it would be tied up in court for a long time, I can easily see a reasonable argument made that if you attach a foreign device to someone's property for the sole purpose of disabling it, that person has the right to remove said device without the responsibility of not damaging it in the process.

I bet if that went to jury, it would win!

But more importantly: How does one get a job where all you do is watch people all day long and call the boot people when you see someone leave the property? Talk about a great job for a totally lazy person. Only in America could this exist!

Old 12-01-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I totally love this idea.

And I really wish an enterprising person out there would start a boot removal company. Don't call the boot company and pay them $75 to remove the boot, hire me to come out and saw it off your car for you! I'm sure it would be tied up in court for a long time, I can easily see a reasonable argument made that if you attach a foreign device to someone's property for the sole purpose of disabling it, that person has the right to remove said device without the responsibility of not damaging it in the process.

I bet if that went to jury, it would win!

But more importantly: How does one get a job where all you do is watch people all day long and call the boot people when you see someone leave the property? Talk about a great job for a totally lazy person. Only in America could this exist!
How? There are signs all over the parking lots warning users.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
There's a pay lot at Krog and Irwin, but I'm pretty sure it's not owned by the Beltline. I would agree with CQ on this. The Beltline does not need to be in the business of operating its own parking decks.
That is owned by Krog Street Market and used for valet parking.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:22 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
How? There are signs all over the parking lots warning users.
Well, I can post a sign in my yard warning you that if you pick my flowers I will saw off your arm with a chainsaw. That still doesn't give me the right to do it.

If you need someone's car off your property, I believe you have the right to have it removed via towing.

However, affixing a foreign device to someone else's property without their permission and holding said property ransom until a payment is made just doesn't seem legal to me if someone really took it through the court system.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer.

I'd also like to see a case where the moron whose job it is to watch people claims the person left the property and boots the car, but the person denies having done so. If there is no video evidence, it becomes a case of his word against theirs, and I would imagine the burden of proof would fall on the booter.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:26 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,100 times
Quote:
No, it should be paid parking. They can make a lot of money on that and use it to maintain the Beltline.

If you don't provide parking people are just going to spill over into the neighborhoods and local business lots.
I think you just described the parking lot at Ponce City Market.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Well, I can post a sign in my yard warning you that if you pick my flowers I will saw off your arm with a chainsaw. That still doesn't give me the right to do it.

If you need someone's car off your property, I believe you have the right to have it removed via towing.

However, affixing a foreign device to someone else's property without their permission and holding said property ransom until a payment is made just doesn't seem legal to me if someone really took it through the court system.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer.

I'd also like to see a case where the moron whose job it is to watch people claims the person left the property and boots the car, but the person denies having done so. If there is no video evidence, it becomes a case of his word against theirs, and I would imagine the burden of proof would fall on the booter.
Unless the witness is a uniformed security guard, then their word holds higher in the court.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:51 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That is owned by Krog Street Market and used for valet parking.
According to the sign at the lot, Beltliners are allowed to use it for a fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: