Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 05:43 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
Also, this story only included the 5 core counties. Forysth, Fayette, & Chreokee were left off. All of these counties typically have some of the lowest crime rates in the state.
They aren't the main core of Atlanta. They're exburbs, so of couse crime would be lower than the core counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
So what exactly are the metrics used? What exactly does percent mean? Usually crime indices are listed as per N number of people.

I went to the GBI page here. Since it wasn't told what data was used I just decided to use raw numbers reported by the GBI. I did all of 2014 for each county and divided by the most recent population estimate. I don't think population varies enough year by year to make a big enough difference.

Clayton
Crimes: 13,729
Pop (2014 Wikipedia): 267,542
5.13% so pretty close to what the graphic was.

Cobb
Crimes: 19,340
Pop (2014 Wiki): 730,981
2.64%. Quite a bit lower than the graphic.

Gwinnett
Crimes: 20,912
Pop (2014 Wiki): 877,992
2.38%. Also lower than the graphic and the lowest of the 5

Fulton
Crimes: 57,814
Pop(2014 Wiki ):996,319
5.8%. Definitely not the 24% shown. Higher than Clayton, but not as much as implied.

Dekalb
Crimes:42,549
Pop(2014): 722,161
5.89%. Also lower than reported but is the highest of the 5.
If you want crime rate out of say, 10,000 people, just move the decimal point over to the right 2 places. 5.8% = 580 per 10,000.

I have no idea how they got their numbers since there's no data or methods given but just looking at actual GBI data Dekalb and Fulton are the crime ridden wasteland they're made out to be.
Is the Georgia Crime Investigation Center an official agency. If so, you could ask them how they came up with it.

Also here's the video if anyone's interested. http://app.criticalmention.com/app/#...8-b6bef7c7aaef

Forsyth is the safest in the metro, but Clayton is the safest of the core counties.

Last edited by demonta4; 01-06-2016 at 05:57 PM..

Old 01-06-2016, 08:52 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Is the Georgia Crime Investigation Center an official agency. If so, you could ask them how they came up with it.

Also here's the video if anyone's interested. Critical Mention

Forsyth is the safest in the metro, but Clayton is the safest of the core counties.
Come again?

Look at the stats that sedimentjerry posted. Cobb and Gwinnett have much lower crime rates. Clayton is within the same basic range as Fulton and DeKalb.

edit: sorry, sedimenjerry, I misspelled your name above.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:55 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:

Also here's the video if anyone's interested. Critical Mention

GCIC appears to be part of GBI but there's not much info I could find on their website. The video just called it probabilities which seems like a weird stat. It's certainly not the same as the crime rate.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:08 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
The source is a bit dubious folks. Victor Hill says WSB says Clayton has the lowest crime in the metro?! Give me a break!

MEANWHILE .... 1 in 5 persons arrested for crime in Fayette County is a Clayton County resident!

http://thecitizen.com/news-crime/3-e...somewhere-else

Old 01-07-2016, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Come again?

Look at the stats that sedimentjerry posted. Cobb and Gwinnett have much lower crime rates. Clayton is within the same basic range as Fulton and DeKalb.

edit: sorry, sedimenjerry, I misspelled your name above.
Have you even looked at the stats WSB provided. Remember this isn't even centered on Clayton, Forsyth was found to be the safest. Are you gonna debate that?

Old 01-07-2016, 03:24 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Hate to say it, but if crime is low in Clayton, one big reason for that is because it's so poor, and if I am not mistaken, a huge chunk of crime involves theft of some kind. Not much of valuable stuff around to steal, as compared to Buckhead and North Fulton and Gwinnett, which all have their fair share of break-ins and auto larceny, petty theft, etc.

Point being, if their fortunes turned around, so too would their crime likely go up.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:33 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
So what exactly are the metrics used? What exactly does percent mean? Usually crime indices are listed as per N number of people.

I went to the GBI page here. Since it wasn't told what data was used I just decided to use raw numbers reported by the GBI. I did all of 2014 for each county and divided by the most recent population estimate. I don't think population varies enough year by year to make a big enough difference.

Clayton
Crimes: 13,729
Pop (2014 Wikipedia): 267,542
5.13% so pretty close to what the graphic was.

Cobb
Crimes: 19,340
Pop (2014 Wiki): 730,981
2.64%. Quite a bit lower than the graphic.

Gwinnett
Crimes: 20,912
Pop (2014 Wiki): 877,992
2.38%. Also lower than the graphic and the lowest of the 5

Fulton
Crimes: 57,814
Pop(2014 Wiki ):996,319
5.8%. Definitely not the 24% shown. Higher than Clayton, but not as much as implied.

Dekalb
Crimes:42,549
Pop(2014): 722,161
5.89%. Also lower than reported but is the highest of the 5.
If you want crime rate out of say, 10,000 people, just move the decimal point over to the right 2 places. 5.8% = 580 per 10,000.

I have no idea how they got their numbers since there's no data or methods given but just looking at actual GBI data Dekalb and Fulton are the crime ridden wasteland they're made out to be.
Exactly

Quote:

Also here's the video if anyone's interested. http://app.criticalmention.com/app/#...8-b6bef7c7aaef

No, see above.. Cobb and Gwinnett are. Forsyth also has no people. Should also look at the types of crimes being committed. Driving with a tail light out vs shoplifting vs burglary vs murder. Should also consider how crimes get reported. Cobb, for instance, has a ton of very aggressive police officers, so more will be caught.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Exactly

No, see above.. Cobb and Gwinnett are. Forsyth also has no people. Should also look at the types of crimes being committed. Driving with a tail light out vs shoplifting vs burglary vs murder. Should also consider how crimes get reported. Cobb, for instance, has a ton of very aggressive police officers, so more will be caught.
Clayton also has aggressive officers. Also you can't make your conclusion from 1 source with 2014 data. I know it's hard to believe, but this data WSB provided must have some truth to it. Also what does having no people have to do with Forsyth's crime being the lowest. We're using percentages here so population shouldn't matter.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:29 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,298 times
Quote:
Clayton also has aggressive officers. Also you can't make your conclusion from 1 source with 2014 data. I know it's hard to believe, but this data WSB provided must have some truth to it. Also what does having no people have to do with Forsyth's crime being the lowest. We're using percentages here so population shouldn't matter.
Why must the data WSB presented have some truth to it? No problem one has been able to produce any kind of report from any official with the same data, so in my view it's equally possible that the data was wrong to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta