Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 09:46 AM

30 posts, read 32,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
As I've stated on this forum before, you can pretty much get EVERYTHING that the Northside offers living in Fayette County -- unless going to Bloomingdaies or Nordstrom on a daily basis is important to you. There is plenty of fine upscale shopping in Peachtree City and Newnan, as well as some pretty impressive fine dining. And of course, the public schools in Fayette County are outstanding. Recent stats show that minority students actually perform HIGHER than white student in the Fayette County School System. That's rare anywhere in the country, much less Georgia.

Yes, I recently read the study about how well kids do in Fayette County. And it was eye opening for sure.

As the film and TV industry continues to expand (i.e. Pinewood Studios) Fayette County is only going to become more sophisticated. It's a very exciting time to live down there IMO -- and this is coming from someone who's had family in Fayetteville since 1821 -- the very beginning!
My husband also has film degree. It's his passion. The move really should be a no-brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 11:18 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
If he holes to get in the film industry, that's definitely a better place to be.

Why don't you try renting in Fayetteville for a year and see how you like it?

Old 01-10-2016, 01:06 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
With the OP's limited housing budget of about $200k or less, if the OP and her family are going to stay in Alpharetta and North Fulton County (an area of rising housing prices along with much of the rest of North Metro Atlanta), then they probably should (and will have to) give strong consideration to moving into either another single-family home rental property or renting a condominium if she and her family want to get into a dwelling with 3 or more bedrooms.

The OP and her family probably just are not going to be able to find a 3+ bedroom single-family home for $180k in affluent Alpharetta and North Fulton County. Heck, I don't even know if the OP might be able to find a 3-bedroom townhome for that price in the Alpharetta area where home prices are on the rise in an area where the schools are very highly regarded and very much in demand.

But if the OP's husband already works at the Atlanta Airport and desires to get into the film business, then the OP should likely make the move to Fayette County where the film industry is exploding.

ATLTJL makes an excellent suggestion that the OP could (and probably should) rent for a year in Fayette County to see if she and her family would want to continue living there for an extended period of time.

Though, even in the comparatively less-expensive, but still very high quality Southern suburbs, finding a 3-bedroom detached single-family home for $200k or less that does not have any issues still might potentially be somewhat of a challenge in a Metro Atlanta housing market where home prices are on the rise and a premium is placed on single-family homes in areas of excellent schools.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:13 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLvpm View Post
I could upgrade from working part time to full time, but that'll only increase our income about 20k. Possibly more because in a year all the kids will be in school, and I would be able to work a second job. I'm sure our landlord will want to end the lease after this term. Instead of our usual 2 year renewal, he only opted for 15 months, which puts us at the end of the school year. He has been making repairs to the house (new roof, siding, etc). I believe he would like to sale after our lease term is up. Buying our current home is not an option because it's too small for our needs.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice/options to consider. It's all over the place, just as how it goes in our heads. We will figure out something. I hope.
Another thing to think about--if you do stretch your budget to live in Alpharetta, and then feel the need to go full time with your job to keep up--that will be *both* parents that will have less time to spend on the kids, than if you had bought a less expensive place closer to your husband's work.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:36 AM

149 posts, read 182,279 times
I vote buy now in Fayettville if you are able.

Interest rates are only going to up.

And commute times are only going to increase as well.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:26 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,572 times
Your poor husband commutes from Alpharetta to the Airport every single day?

Just ponder this...the amount of free time and stress he will save by cutting his commute by 2 hours everyday.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:58 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
If you can wait, I'd recommend saving a lot more so you can avoid paying PMI, if possible.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:12 PM

787 posts, read 969,101 times
Don't blow your entire savings on a down payment.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:43 PM

764 posts, read 1,109,472 times
Another possibility is the older homes of East Cobb which were built in the 1970's. A place to look would be along Canton Rd. and a few along Sandy Plains. I realize that these houses are very "dated". however, many are in excellent high school districts like Lassiter and Sprayberry. They have pretty good access to I-75 via the Canton Rd. interchange on the north side of Marietta.

Because most of the development in Alpharetta occurred later than parts of East Cobb, the housing prices tend to be higher. Also, Alpharetta is more convenient to retail and employment centers than a lot of East Cobb. Still, East Cobb has a lot high end housing and top notch public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta