Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:23 PM

78 posts, read 184,735 times

Advertisements

[quote=ClarityFuture;2744513]Do you think that the only reason the Confederacy was formed was because of wanting to keep slaves? [quote]

Um.. YES!!! I am a history teacher with a specialty in the Civil War. Please don't try to twist what the south did when they seceeded from the Union. It was slavery. You can say it was economics, or a set way of life, but I don't think there is a history professor out there that would deny that the desire to perpetuate slavery in the south was the very cause of secession.

HOWEVER, I don't think you intended that to be the topic of your thread. I know you are just lamenting the disappearence of congeniality, a slower-paced life, and a safe place for kids to grow up. But I'm sorry to tell you that is the result of technology and it is not just happening to your precious Georgia. Read some other forums. It is an epidemic affecting the whole country. Nobody has any time anymore. We communicate with emails instead of conversations. But this is a process that has been taking place over history throughout all of time. Every generation has complained that people keep getting busier and more rude. Ask an old grandmother. Chances are she thinks the era in which YOU grew up was too fast-paced and uncaring. She will complain about all the development that took place during YOUR lifetime.

What you are going through is..reality. People and places in America are not static, they are constantly changing and growing. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. It's just life. Every adult thinks this when they hit a certain age. You've just hit yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 01:57 PM

206 posts, read 529,117 times
Default Whaaaatttt!!

All of the original Atlantan's must be in East Point, College Park, and the surrounding areas........GOT TO BE!!

Old 02-07-2008, 03:42 PM

483 posts, read 2,094,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I first moved to GA in 1982 (before leaving again in 1992 for 15 years), and back then, as a "yankee" I heard a lot more mention of it and people making comments. The funny thing is, before I moved to GA, I never gave it a second thought. I thought I was an American moving to another US state. Who knew that people in GA were still fighting the Civil War almost 120 years later? Sorry we made you stay in the Union, get rid of your slaves, and treat black folks as people.

I for one have never tried to change anything here in GA. I'm glad that some things have changed for what I think everyone agrees is the better. Exactly what "beautiful culture" has been taken from you?

What would you like to see the return of? Racism? Dog fighting? Poor education? Poverty? The rebel flag on the state flag? KKK marches in Cumming?

When you post feelings such as you did, and you blame your problems on others, you do kind of come across as bit of an ignorant redneck. Sorry about that.

And you, sir, come off as an ignorant Regionalist - which is just as divisive and stupid as racism. Worse, in fact, because you are insulting every southerner, including black southerners.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:45 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntdejene View Post
I guess its just a Southern thing, ya'll wouldnt understand.
I see, I guess native Georgians and native southerners have a lock on manners and civility? I guess the rest of the country is just a bunch of rude folks with no manners.

Personally, I don't need a stranger like the bag girl at the grocery store to ask me how I'm doing and inquire about my life story. Just bag my groceries and let me get on with my life...now that's having real manners.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:28 PM

739 posts, read 830,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I see, I guess native Georgians and native southerners have a lock on manners and civility? I guess the rest of the country is just a bunch of rude folks with no manners.

Personally, I don't need a stranger like the bag girl at the grocery store to ask me how I'm doing and inquire about my life story. Just bag my groceries and let me get on with my life...now that's having real manners.
Maybe where you're from it is - but not here. Are you one of those people who'll use a grocery cart and then leave it in the lot versus taking the time to push it all the way back inside the store? Those folks bagging your groceries have monotonous jobs and deserve to be treated like humans. If its too much trouble for you to be nice to someone, grow your own food at home so you won't have to interact with humans.
Geez

Old 02-08-2008, 06:43 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times
*sigh*

It's one thing for me to flame with trolls but can't we all just get along with each other?

It's FRIDAY!

Here's a virtual beer on me!

Old 02-08-2008, 11:43 AM

27 posts, read 26,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarityFuture View Post
Am I the only one living in the great state of Georgia that misses my state? Over the past years and with the booming growth of Atlanta, this state is becoming everything I hate...With people flooding in from everywhere, our beautiful culture and herritage are being pushed out for a Wal-Mart sign.

People from the north and other areas moving in think we should do everything their way, and could care less about our roots, but when you go to their state and do the same thing, you're an ignorant redneck...What gives?

I for one miss the Georgia that I have known and loved for my entire life. I miss sittin' around talking to complete strangers over a cold Coke and not having my intelligence insulted for being a native Georgian that "doesn't understand progress".

Am I alone in these feelings?

I hope you're not in the majority in the way you think and feel about people that are not (outsiders) native to Georgia. I was originally thinking about moving there but now I'm thinking I might be making a big mistake. Perhaps my relatives and friends that moved there many years ago are wrong.

I'm not looking to change anything about Georgia or its citizens.To be quite frank with you, I'm looking to relocate to somewhere where the weather is warmer as I can no longer tolerate the cold. I was also looking for a place to live on the outskirts of a city, like I do know, where I can enjoy the culture like Atlanta might offer but enjoy the country and all that if offers families.

I guess I should reconsider moving to another state were the weather is just as warm as are its people or just stay here and raise the thermostat.

Last edited by NJ Vike; 02-08-2008 at 11:54 AM..

Old 02-08-2008, 01:41 PM

39 posts, read 146,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarityFuture View Post
Am I the only one living in the great state of Georgia that misses my state? Over the past years and with the booming growth of Atlanta, this state is becoming everything I hate...With people flooding in from everywhere, our beautiful culture and herritage are being pushed out for a Wal-Mart sign.

People from the north and other areas moving in think we should do everything their way, and could care less about our roots, but when you go to their state and do the same thing, you're an ignorant redneck...What gives?

I for one miss the Georgia that I have known and loved for my entire life. I miss sittin' around talking to complete strangers over a cold Coke and not having my intelligence insulted for being a native Georgian that "doesn't understand progress".

Am I alone in these feelings?

You can still find real georgians here. I live in a small neighborhood in Buford and we know our neighbors and most are from Ga, maybe not Atlanta. I am from a very small town in South Ga and they still wave at people driving down the road, stop and talk on the sidewalk downtown. Atlanta has grown and everyone is living such a fast pace life here that no ones stops to breath any longer.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:43 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,682,424 times
Born and raised in Acworth, went to school at Tech, moved back to Acworth, work downtown.

Acworth is dramatically different from when I was a kid, I'm 29!

Old 02-08-2008, 02:52 PM

315 posts, read 761,262 times
After reading this board for so long I would warn people to just go and visit atlanta for yourself because I can tell you some people here may make it seems worse than what it really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta