Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 11:52 AM

42 posts, read 52,046 times

Advertisements

I park at East Lake everyday. Parking lot is never full - sometimes not even 50% full. Plenty of spaces both north and south of the tracks and only 2 miles straight down College Ave from Avondale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 11:52 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,870,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Does the zoning approval not require public presentation and interrupt à la NPUs, or city meetings?
Actually I think they might not be subject to local zoning approval today. But there is a clause in the SB 313 / "MARTA Expansion Bill" that would add that requirement:

SB*313*2015-2016 Regular Session

Quote:
"SECTION 18
18 Zoning and Planning.
19 Authority property which is not part of the transportation system, transportation projects,
20 or rapid transit system or projects of the Authority shall be subject to the applicable zoning
21 and planning powers of the local jurisdiction in which such property is located."
Another reason why everyone should support SB 313. While I think this development looks like the right scale for Brookhaven, I think they should still be subject to local zoning. (Which I would assume this would be, as mid-rise apartments are better for right next to a busy road & transit than a parking lot or single family homes.)

Old 02-03-2016, 12:15 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Actually I think they might not be subject to local zoning approval today. But there is a clause in the SB 313 / "MARTA Expansion Bill" that would add that requirement:

Another reason why everyone should support SB 313. While I think this development looks like the right scale for Brookhaven, I think they should still be subject to local zoning. (Which I would assume this would be, as mid-rise apartments are better for right next to a busy road & transit than a parking lot or single family homes.)
Right, I suppose that would be the legal way to deal with it. I just didn't know if Broohaven had any clout already.

I would hope MARTA would be working with the city for all of the infrastructure stuff. I mean, other developers manage to do it all the time without crippling power, water, and sewers. I wouldn't be surprised if MARTA has been working with their developer and the city to get all that info together.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:34 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Right, I suppose that would be the legal way to deal with it. I just didn't know if Broohaven had any clout already.

I would hope MARTA would be working with the city for all of the infrastructure stuff. I mean, other developers manage to do it all the time without crippling power, water, and sewers. I wouldn't be surprised if MARTA has been working with their developer and the city to get all that info together.
MARTA has been able to accomplish this with Atlanta and Decatur, I am sure they know how to work with local governments and will build the necessary infrastructure.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:41 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
MARTA has been able to accomplish this with Atlanta and Decatur, I am sure they know how to work with local governments and will build the necessary infrastructure.
I am sure they do too.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:20 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,468,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post

Good. I'm glad MARTA is being this way. NIMBYs tend to be too self-centered to properly understand the big picture.

And jeez, the current Brookhaven station parking lot is an enormous waste of asphalt on potentially valuable real estate.

Well, as someone who woke up this morning to a muddy flood in my basement due to runoff from the development being built behind me, I think the residents have a right to know whether the surrounding sewage infrastructure is able to handle the increased load.

Make all the snarky comments you want.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:25 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,468,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post

The marta official is quoted as saying they will ask the city for rezoning approval in April, so evidently they need to get the city's approval.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:26 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,870,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
This has already been a joint project with City of Brookhaven: MARTA Issues RFQ for Brookhaven Mixed-Use Development | Council for Quality Growth

Quote:
MARTA and the City of Brookhaven have joined together to begin converting the surface parking lots at the Brookhaven/Oglethorpe MARTA station into a transient-oriented development (“TOD”)....
Also, MARTA just announced four more workshops to get more feedback: MARTA schedules “District Specific” Brookhaven/Oglethorpe TOD Meetings | The Brookhaven Post | Brookhaven, GA

Old 02-03-2016, 01:33 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,154,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Well, as someone who woke up this morning to a muddy flood in my basement due to runoff from the development being built behind me, I think the residents have a right to know whether the surrounding sewage infrastructure is able to handle the increased load.

Calm down, dude, this new development would be completely surrounded by roads and rails, with no existing buildings that are directly adjacent.

And BTW that sucks about your basement.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:34 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post

That's a problem you need to take up with the developer, as there should be a silt fence or something to prevent the muddy runoff. That is not the fault of the local government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: