Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 10:25 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,531,943 times

Advertisements

ohhhh....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 11:42 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,399,104 times
I have always found the TSA folks to be very pleasant. They have a tough job dealing with thousands of passengers every day, a large number of which are likely in a hurry, aggravated to the point of rudeness and unappreciative.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:08 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,162,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Use of ghetto in the thread title is 100% inappropriate.

But the mismanagement of the TSA at the Atlanta Airport is completely atrocious. As I went through security at 5:15 this morning I saw the general lane was massive, filling the entire maze area and ending near the atrium. There was one security lane open with a line hundreds of people long. It is like this every morning.
That is inexcusable. Many people flying that early are business people that cannot be late. TSA needs to get their **** together or be fired.

Quote:
I have TSA Precheck so it doesn't particularly affect me, but it's agonizing seeing these lines every single time I take the early flight. Passengers are visibly agitated as they weren't planning on a 30-45 minute (easily) security wait at 5AM. But with all of these new really early Southwest flights the number of passangers flying out at that time has increased dramatically, and the TSA hasn't done a thing to adjust after months and months and months, and presumably thousands of missed flights. (Notably, TSA Precheck had two lanes open, despite handling a tiny fraction of the general boarding passengers.)

It's not a "pax should get there earlier" sort of problem; TSA is literally not providing enough capacity at the checkpoint to handle all of the passengers flying out in the 5:00-6:30 timeframe, regardless of what time they arrive. It's point blank incompetence on the part of the TSA.

By the way, the actual workers themselves in Atlanta generally seem courteous and professional for TSA agents, or at least comparable to other airports. The problem, in my opinion, is completely on the TSA 'management', such as it exists. They are utterly incompetent and should be fired at once.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:09 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,162,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I have always found the TSA folks to be very pleasant. They have a tough job dealing with thousands of passengers every day, a large number of which are likely in a hurry, aggravated to the point of rudeness and unappreciative.
Agreed, it is not the workers themselves. It is some out-of-touch managers higher up the chain causing this problem.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:27 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,305,783 times
The last time I flew out of Atlanta, the TSA folks told me and my wife to go off to the left into the wheelchair area. Neither of us are in wheelchairs, but we figured maybe it'd be quicker, so we did as we were told. That turned out to be a huge waste of time. There were very few people in the wheelchair line, but every time someone in a wheelchair showed up (which was very frequent) everyone else had to let them through first. Them and the rest of their group, which turned out to be 5+ people in every case, which meant by the time they all got through the checkpoint another wheelchair group had arrived in line. We stood there for quite a long time, constantly getting held up by wheelchair bound folks, watching as people who were behind us but were sent to the regular lines cleared security and went on their way. TSA had us trapped, and they knew there was nothing we could do about it.

Don't try to do me any favors, TSA.

Last edited by JPD; 02-29-2016 at 01:52 PM..

Old 02-29-2016, 01:38 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,613,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Agreed, it is not the workers themselves. It is some out-of-touch managers higher up the chain causing this problem.
Called congress who will not approve funding.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:49 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,016,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Called congress who will not approve funding.
Interesting while TSA budget is Approved by congress, the Cost of it is payed by passenger of $5.60 - 11.20 R/T

The airline provide TSA with there passenger forecast by hour, 30 days in advance so the fact that thousands are showing up at 5am for 6am flight is not a "Surprise" Its just inept management by the TSA Manages. Since its the "Government" running there is very little the Airline or Airport authority can do about it.

Put in back under private contractors with TSA rules of the road, with SLA on the contracts. ie: The line should be no longer then 10mins 90% of the time, and no more then 20min 10% of the time. Penalty for non compliance is $1000 per minute the line is over 10/20 mins.

Keep in mind 9/11 everything that went thru security was allowed on the plane. No One got it "past" security.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:22 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,670,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post

Keep in mind 9/11 everything that went thru security was allowed on the plane. No One got it "past" security.
But it didn't go through TSA, which wasn't created until November 2001, in response to 9/11. Prior to that, it was private security at each airport . . . so, yeah . . .

Old 02-29-2016, 06:13 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,613,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Interesting while TSA budget is Approved by congress, the Cost of it is payed by passenger of $5.60 - 11.20 R/T

The airline provide TSA with there passenger forecast by hour, 30 days in advance so the fact that thousands are showing up at 5am for 6am flight is not a "Surprise" Its just inept management by the TSA Manages. Since its the "Government" running there is very little the Airline or Airport authority can do about it.

Put in back under private contractors with TSA rules of the road, with SLA on the contracts. ie: The line should be no longer then 10mins 90% of the time, and no more then 20min 10% of the time. Penalty for non compliance is $1000 per minute the line is over 10/20 mins.

You do know that certain federal agencies return money back to Congress each year who then spends the money on their on own projects.

Experts say travel fees should prevent airport cuts - CBS News

For the 2013 fiscal year, the Obama administration has proposed collecting $2.2 billion in passenger fees, an increase of $317 million. Of that, $117 million would be used to further offset the cost of aviation security operations and $200 million would contribute to federal deficit reduction.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:31 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,531,943 times
So we pretty much established that TSA is not ghetto, just mismanaged?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta