Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 12:00 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
As a civil/highway engineer with over 20 years of experience I can tell you that architects DO NOT design bridges or retaining walls or anything to do with roadway infrastructure.
You know what? I'm not arguing that architects are always involved in the design of bridges or retaining walls. I've seen quite a few renderings and models by architects that suggest otherwise though.

I worked at an A&E firm for most of the 90s, and I am saying that engineers are not totally dismissive of architects. There are lots of areas where engineers are needed in other types of projects, and the engineering sections don't even make up the majority in the specs. I was just stating again that in most situations that engineers and architects respect each other's area of expertise and don't try to diminish the importance of the other.

So perhaps given how they look, perhaps architects should be involved in the design of bridges and retaining walls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 10:37 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,599 times
Quote:
As a civil/highway engineer with over 20 years of experience I can tell you that architects DO NOT design bridges or retaining walls or anything to do with roadway infrastructure.
In this state, maybe not. Everywhere else, though... Bridge architecture and design | Dezeen magazine

Old 03-08-2016, 05:40 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
The Downtown Connector needs Green Walls along the sunken portion of them to help offset the amount of air pollution produced.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:12 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The Downtown Connector needs Green Walls along the sunken portion of them to help offset the amount of air pollution produced.
I like your idea, cq. What types of plants are best suited for this?

Old 03-08-2016, 06:17 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
That's unfortunate.

Highway and bridge design needs to focus on sound and cost effective engineering, but that shouldn't rule out architectural considerations.

Roads, including freeways, are some of our most important public spaces.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:21 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's unfortunate.

Highway and bridge design needs to focus on sound and cost effective engineering, but that shouldn't rule out architectural considerations.

As I noted in my first post in this thread, the issue isn't about ability. It's about cost. With the federal government paying for probably 90% of bridges being built all around the country, they tend not to build signature bridges. Generally if a state or local government wants a signature bridge, they will pay the difference. Most states and localities can't (or won't) pay it.

I've worked with structural engineers pretty much all over the east coast. And in all my years of experience only one signature bridge stands out:

Old 03-08-2016, 06:32 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
As I noted in my first post in this thread, the issue isn't about ability. It's about cost. With the federal government paying for probably 90% of bridges being built all around the country, they tend not to build signature bridges. Generally if a state or local government wants a signature bridge, they will pay the difference. Most states and localities can't (or won't) pay it.

I've worked with structural engineers pretty much all over the east coast. And in all my years of experience only one signature bridge stands out:
That's a great looking bridge.

And I'm not suggesting that aesthetics take over the business of highway design, just that they should be an integral part of the process. Form, materials, lighting, planting can all make a big difference without necessarily throwing cost out the window.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:38 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
That's the Cooper River Bridge in South Carolina.

Most designers do try to add some aesthetics, and new technologies make some things more cost effective. But it's still a challenge. Add in other standards for materials, lighting, and planting (and the inherent maintenance costs) and it becomes more prohibitive.

Most "regular" people aren't interested in paying extra in taxes so the bridges look pretty. That's why we struggle to keep the infrastructure we have now in good condition. Many states (and even the feds) won't raise taxes and the current funding is limited.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:55 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,695,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I like your idea, cq. What types of plants are best suited for this?
Kudzu! /s

English Ivy, Ferns, maybe grass if you can get the slope for it...

Old 03-08-2016, 01:05 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
Maybe Tom Ventulett is ugly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: