Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 09:06 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times

Advertisements

Personally, I have to agree with him. The older beige metal sound walls are not attractive at all. It also doesn't help that most of the expressway lights are out in the city. GDOT needs be like TxDOT or FDOT are include aesthetics in the design of new or widened highways.

Quote:
fter thanking a number of professionals with whom he has worked during his career, Ventulett made a personal plea – showing why he was deserving of the Visionary Award.
“I just want to make a plea to this powerful group,” Ventulett said. “Our expressway system is ugly, and it’s getting uglier. It’s something we need to watch. Let’s do something to give a better image of the city.”
In particular, Ventulett mentioned the unattractive sound barriers that exist along the borders of several of our city’s interstates.
Ventulett then talked about a recent trip to Europe where he saw sound barriers in Switzerland and France where there were openings in retaining walls where people had planted flowers and ivy. That softened the barriers and made for a much more pleasant travel experience.

In some cases, glass elements were added to blend the walls with the horizon and the natural elements of the environment.
“Somebody is thinking (in France and Switzerland),” Ventulett said. “Nobody (here) is thinking about what we are putting up. The interchange of 400 and I-285 is really ugly.”
And then Ventulett ended up sharing a comment that could be applied to just about any part of our built environment.
“If you are going to build it, make it beautiful,” Ventulett said. “But for God’s sake, if it’s ugly – don’t build it.”

Spoken like a visionary architect.
Architect Tom Ventulett honored for his vision - SaportaReport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 09:10 AM

283 posts, read 360,593 times
I love how Atlanta wants to be this world class city, but can't even keep freeway lights on. It's so embarrassing.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:13 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
Most engineers don't care what an architect thinks.

Engineers make things WORK. Architects make them "pretty". Pretty costs $$$$$$$$.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:06 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Tom Ventulett is right. It would be an easy fix to make some our freeways much more visually appealing.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:05 PM

994 posts, read 1,541,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post
I love how Atlanta wants to be this world class city, but can't even keep freeway lights on. It's so embarrassing.
Yes, the lighting (or lack thereof) is a major problem.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:06 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
No s**t.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:52 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,796 times
The "ugly" lighting and structures date back to Freeing the Freeways, a project from the 1980s. I do agree that the lack of highway lights is an issue, but that's because of penny-pinching local governments' failure to provide funding, and the state's lack of sense in not assigning lighting responsibilities to GDOT. The structures are also pretty drab; I like what Texas and New Mexico have done with their interchanges.

The interchange he specifically refers to is being rebuilt in the next few years. I agree that it is outdated and ugly as sin.

Besides, Jawja ain't havin' none of dat COMMIE EURO nonsense!

- skbl17

Old 03-04-2016, 03:04 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post

Engineers make things WORK. Architects make them "pretty". Pretty costs $$$$$$$$.
My dad is always fighting architects at work. They want some fancy design and he has to tell you just can't do that or that it'll blow the budget to smithereens.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:55 PM

396 posts, read 601,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post
lol.

georgia has a lot of natural beauty. too bad we're so neglectful of so much of our infrastructure - we take absolutely no pride in it whatsoever.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:06 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
I would love to beautify the connector. Regardless of your opinion of the road itself, it's a big part of the city. I think it is negligent that for so long, not a thing has been done to aesthetically improve or even maintain the corridor. It can set a tone of quality for the city overall with a relatively small investment.They should at least be pressure washing exposed concrete walls and bridges so things don't look so dreary. Easy

Adding lighting as shown in the beautification plans from, what, years ago was a great idea. I'd love to see the explosion of murals added to the interstate itself. There are so many large blank walls that just have built up streaky residue on them, what a waste! It doesn't have to be an object or necessarily a mural, to avoid offending, just patterns and or colors. I believe they have started on the Peachtree St bridge beautification project, so there is progress. I hope funding can be secured for more bridges and the lighting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: