Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:57 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
As a shareholder in the Coca-Cola Company, may I suggest more people drink Dasani. Maybe take a bath in it! Water the lawn!

;-) (just kidding)
You know that Dasani is just filtered bottled tap water, right? LOL

Kinda just drains the existing water supply - they're just using tap and filtering it and then putting it in bottles. It was on the news a while back much to the shock of my sister who drinks a gallon of the stuff a day. She's now a "Deer Park" woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 10:01 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Hey, Manhattan is an island with no real fresh water source. THEY have to pipe water in - and there's a lot more people there then here.
Manhattan is just a smidgen closer to an ocean water source than Atlanta is.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:27 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times
Quote:
Manhattan is just a smidgen closer to an ocean water source than Atlanta is.
Don't rain on my parade! A girl can dream, can't she?

Actually, i think we wouldn't need to bury the pipelines. Manhattan has to in order to go under the Hudson.

Atlanta could leave the pipes above ground and have them run alongside a nice fast rail to Savannah....

Old 02-11-2008, 11:14 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
You know that Dasani is just filtered bottled tap water, right? LOL
Yeah, I know. ;-)

Old 02-11-2008, 11:42 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
This goes so show that the idiots who run this great State are even more delusional than I thought they were. I guess when praying for rain doesn't work, you resort to stealing it from your neighbor.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Don't rain on my parade! A girl can dream, can't she?
Oops. Sorry.

I do like the idea of pipelines, but I like the idea of reservoirs better. Maybe we could do a little bit of both?

Old 02-11-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
This goes so show that the idiots who run this great State are even more delusional than I thought they were. I guess when praying for rain doesn't work, you resort to stealing it from your neighbor.
How is that different from what Florida and Alabama are doing to Georgia?

If it wasn't for their extravagant requirements, the Atlanta metro would be swimming in drinking water...

Old 02-11-2008, 01:46 PM

247 posts, read 1,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
How is that different from what Florida and Alabama are doing to Georgia?

If it wasn't for their extravagant requirements, the Atlanta metro would be swimming in drinking water...
I have family that lives in Alabama and they complain about Atlanta hogging all the water and yet they have NO water restrictions!!

Old 02-11-2008, 01:59 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,104,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I'm not saying that our state government isn't delusional in many matters, but the reality is that the state line was set by Congress to be at the 35th (I think) parallel, and the survey marker was incorrectly placed, and is not at the actual line set by Congress - that is not really in dispute. Now the question that will have to be addressed is the fact that this boundary has stood relatively unchallenged for over 200 years, although according to the AJC the State of GA has challenged it at least 4 times. According to the AJC, if the state boundaries are moved to where Congress actually placed them, a slice of Memphis will be in Mississippi. It should make for an interesting court battle.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs964 View Post
I have family that lives in Alabama and they complain about Atlanta hogging all the water and yet they have NO water restrictions!!
They are simply unaware of the facts, I suspect.

Given the numbers I've seen, the Atlanta metro consumes at most between 2% and 4% of the water that is released from Lake Lanier.

This assumes that you count water "consumed" as the difference between water taken out of the lake or river and water put back into the river after processing.

Even if you don't count the substantial put-back, Atlanta is legally restricted to only using 13.9% of the water from Lake Lanier.

Folks downstream would still get 86.1% of the flow even if Atlanta grabbed all of its rightful water and didn't return any of it to the river. As it is, they probably see 96-98% of the water that gets released.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: