Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 08:50 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
My God people. Someone comes in and shared their thoughts on visit and stated more than "I liked this" or "I didn't like" that and many here blast them for it. Mainly because they described what they didn't like.

Amazing.
FWIW, there are a lot of thin skinned people in this forum who seem to take personal offense at any not glowing review of Atlanta.

I like Atlanta and have been called an Atlanta basher lol. It is funny to me because most of the people I meet always think I give great advice about Atlanta and when I worked at Peachtree Center and spoke during lunch to a lot of conventioners and visitors, I often was told I should get a job as an "Atlanta Booster" lol.

I agree with many of the OP's views on the city. And I especially have never thought Midtown was "all that." I also agree that the advice given in the other thread he/she posted was not specific to Midtown, but to the OP's defense, Midtown is written of in a very positive light on this forum as if it is the "center" of Atlanta. IMO it is not and isn't much of an attraction unless you are going somewhere specific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 11:16 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,422,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
You basically criticize Downtown and midtown separately. Then took Downtown Atlanta by itself to represent Atlanta core than said I feel Atlanta's core is weaker relative to its metro size than even other Southern cities.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3276/...7c4b4b.jpg?v=0

http://blogs.cresa.com/atlanta/wp-co.../1-Atlanta.jpg

what southern metros are you talking about? Only like New Orleans and Miami have a denser and more active core than Atlanta in the South. New Orleans obvious is the most urban core in the south and one of the most in the country. Miami is very questionable with street activity and urbanity at it's core but it boom the 3 largest amount of tower. But outside of that

Dallas and Houston posters would tell you Atlanta core feel more urban, Atlanta is older they didn't pass Atlanta until the 30's and 50's. their CBD are less populated, ringed by freeways, and and they have nothing adjusted to their Downtown's like Midtown, so can't be talking about them.

Nashville, and Memphis have very active entertainment districts but their core are no where near as urban as Atlanta. And you can't be talking about NC cities.
Using Atlanta's skyline probably isn't the best way to represent it's Urbanity. OP was persuaded that Atlanta was the Urban mecca of the South, especially in Midtown. But in actuality there's probably a few Southern metros whose cores are a bit more Urban, or pedestrian friendly than Atlanta's.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:07 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,108,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
I'm speaking to you. The OP has made up his/ her mind. To continue trying to convince the OP otherwise, is an exercise in futility. I'm not suggesting that you are wrong or right. You are, however, wasting your time.
My point wasn't to convince or change his/her opinion.

I think OP is very unfamiliar with American cities, And don't understand the leafy neighborhoods in the Southeast.

I was pointing out some stuff said just isn't true, Regardless of what he or she felt by Atlanta core, Atlanta core DT/MT is one largest and urban cores in the South. And I have gut feeling OP probably notice the east Atlanta neighborhoods are leafy like those Winston-Salem neighborhoods, and did not pay attention to density difference because they are leafy.

Also the standard of Copenhagen of course Atlanta wouldn't compare only like 3 American cities could.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:25 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,824,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
We agree here....Midtown is not honestly that more urban than any of the dense urban cores of the Memphis, Louisville, Birmingham, Richmond, New Orleans of the world's. But it has more of the flash pizzazz, high rise condos, and yuppies...oh and being in a major metro. so it gets the press for it.

The areas I like have to do with the people. That's why I love New Orleans because the people are delightful. It's not about pizazz and other stuff, but admittedly, it doesn't hurt to have some entertainment which it has as well.

As far as things go, I don't why we'd try to mislead this poster into pretending Midtown is similar to anything in Europe. That's not a bad or good thing, but there's certainly very little similarity. I do no really see the problem except for some reason the OP thought the areas were going to be similar and anybody wants to pretend like they are.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:36 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,108,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Using Atlanta's skyline probably isn't the best way to represent it's Urbanity. OP was persuaded that Atlanta was the Urban mecca of the South, especially in Midtown. But in actuality there's probably a few Southern metros whose cores are a bit more Urban, or pedestrian friendly than Atlanta's.
I don't think OP is trolling I believe OP probably so unaware of other Americans cities OP thinks Atlanta is the worst. I mean OP compare Atlanta to Copenhagen. Little do OP know only like 3 American cities even can.

The South is known for sprawl and Atlanta certainly have a lot of issues to work on, but with in that Atlanta is one of the most urban cores in the south. I wasn't taking about skyscrapers. and I said New Orleans was the most urban city in the south, And Miami, Richmond core questionably can be more urban, I never said Atlanta was the most urban but Atlanta does have the most urban core of the big ones.

Atlanta is one earliest southern cities to boom, in 1920 only Early New Orleans and Louisville cities antebellum were larger. Atlanta also at this point was denser than All other southern cities besides those two. Outside that there's no southern cores more urban, some cities like Memphis, and Nashville have entertainment district but one or two streets don't make a city more urban that a reach, Atlanta factually have more people living DT/MT. Atlanta Downtown also is more populated than Downtown Houston and Dallas. And they are isolate ring by freeways.

If OP is disappoint in Midtown that's sad but it's impossible to win them all and that's his/her opinion. but I felt like OP was saying because Atlanta didn't measure up to his or her standards then somehow Atlanta is one of the worst in the south for it's size.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:35 AM

536 posts, read 639,954 times
Quote:
Then there's pretty much no need to go any other other American regions and cities either, cause your standard is through the roof. Your standard is so high it litteally applies to 90% of American cities.

You said "Copenhagen" only like New York, SF, Chicago maybe New Orleans can keep with a European city. The rest of American it's only like small areas or districts In DC, Philly, Seattle.....

It's not like Houston, Dallas, Miami, Minneapolis, Portland, St Louis, Phoenix, Cleveland, Tampa, Kansas City, or other multi million 2 - 6 million metro in the US does either.

Also you made an error Downtown and Midtown together is Atlanta core not just Downtown. Downtown is a north American term that applies to cities "Central Business district." cause most American cities have one Central Business district at it's center. But this doesn't always apply. Just cause Midtown Atlanta doesn't have the term "Downtown" doesn't change it's continuation as part of the core.

You basically criticize Downtown and midtown separately. Then took Downtown Atlanta by itself to represent Atlanta core than said I feel Atlanta's core is weaker relative to its metro size than even other Southern cities.

what southern metros are you talking about? Only like New Orleans and Miami have a denser and more active core than Atlanta in the South. New Orleans obvious is the most urban core in the south and one of the most in the country. Miami is very questionable with street activity and urbanity at it's core but it boom the 3 largest amount of tower. But outside of that

Dallas and Houston posters would tell you Atlanta core feel more urban, Atlanta is older they didn't pass Atlanta until the 30's and 50's. their CBD are less populated, ringed by freeways, and and they have nothing adjusted to their Downtown's like Midtown, so can't be talking about them.

Nashville, and Memphis have very active entertainment districts but their core are no where near as urban as Atlanta. And you can't be talking about NC cities.

My point what your calling "mediocre" about Atlanta would be even worst in most other southern metros.

And Comparing Atlanta to Copenhagen is basically an extreme standard. Even America most urban cities Philly and Boston are less urban compared Copenhagen.
I think you misinterpreted my argument. I said Atlanta's core is weak relative to its metro size. I didn't say it's weaker than other cities--I'm saying it's weak considering how many people live in and around Atlanta. You're right that Tampa has a really weak downtown (worse than Atlanta for sure) but Downtown St. Petersburg is somewhat decent on American standards, and the Tampa-St. Petersburg metro area has less than half the population of Atlanta. Regarding "Southern", I should have emphasized "Southeastern", sorry. That is my bad. I know Dallas and Houston are terrible too. San Antonio and Austin have stronger cores relative to their metro size at least.

In terms of confusing "downtown" with "core", no I am not. I am referring to both Downtown and Midtown (and even bordering neighborhoods) when I refer to Atlanta's core. I wasn't disappointed in Downtown Atlanta because my expectations were very low, whereas Midtown gets a lot more hype both online and in real life. But I do think Downtown is weak in its current state. It has potential though.

Regarding Copenhagen, I would argue even less well-known cities in Europe have stronger cores than Atlanta. The five main cities in Bulgaria (Sofia, Plovdiv, Varna, Burgas, and Rousse) all have better cores under my subjective criteria than Atlanta. Also Bulgaria is a poor country without much city tourism (it does get 9 million tourists a year but they go there for the nature and Black Sea resorts primarily). I was using Copenhagen specifically because there is quite a lot of street-life and outside dining even when temperatures are freezing!! And of course Copenhagen has a denser core, but its metro is only 1/5th the size of Atlanta population-wise.

You're right that my standards seem to be too much for America, which is why I'm currently an applicant for a job in Geneva, Switzerland!

Old 04-16-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
You have a weaboo screen name like "shunketsu" so I'd assume you would fit right in with "alternative lifestyles".
If I was a weaboo then your assumption would probably be right, but the premise of your argument is false. I'm not a weaboo, so your logic isn't sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
You can see the level of thinking of the average poster on here. Instead of asking this board prior to visiting where the walkable areas are they instead come and complain. I actually think this is a troll post because of all the people walking to the Dogwood Festival in Midtown this weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
To be fair, OP did inquire prior to visit which areas they should check out. (Someone posted a link to this earlier in this thread.) However, most people provided answers that weren't "Midtown" so I'm not sure why Midtown was such a focus (I know the OP said they heard about it from marketing promotions but if they asked specifically on this forum I'm not sure why the advice to check out many other areas wasn't followed.)

Anyway, to each his own!
I did ask this board prior to visiting . This thread is about why I was disappointed in Midtown, as well as constructive suggestions on how to improve it. It wasn't about other neighborhoods (all of which I visited). The other neighborhoods aren't enough for me to move to Atlanta, since I've lived in big, urban, dense cities (with a lower urban area population than Atlanta, ironically). However, I'm not here to criticize them since they are fine for what they are. I'm focusing on Midtown because it was hyped to me both online and in real-life as this great urban, cultural neighborhood in the Southeast. In my view, it is not. I wanted to visit the other neighborhoods to complement my Atlanta trip and experience with Atlanta's core.

In terms of the Dogwood Festival this weekend, I was in Atlanta a few weeks ago. By the way, vibrant urban neighborhoods don't need festivals to have good street life on a Saturday evening with 70 degrees and no rain or humidity. But hey, if it's a nice festival, I hope those who attend it have a good time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
My God people. Someone comes in and shared their thoughts on visit and stated more than "I liked this" or "I didn't like" that and many here blast them for it. Mainly because they described what they didn't like.

Amazing.
Thanks man. I can understand why people get so defensive though. If your daily life is rooted in a place and revolves around it, it's not pleasant to read or hear criticism about such place.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:09 PM

32,028 posts, read 36,813,277 times
If someone's preference is for cities built around a single core, then by all means they should opt for one of the many fine cities constructed on that model.

However, there are many forms of urban settlement. Here in the ATL we have chosen a multi-nodal approach that offers a number of activity centers but still provides adequate elbow room for the vast majority of residents.

That has proven sufficient to attract nearly 6 million people. Not too bad, I'd say.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FWIW, there are a lot of thin skinned people in this forum who seem to take personal offense at any not glowing review of Atlanta.

I like Atlanta and have been called an Atlanta basher lol. It is funny to me because most of the people I meet always think I give great advice about Atlanta and when I worked at Peachtree Center and spoke during lunch to a lot of conventioners and visitors, I often was told I should get a job as an "Atlanta Booster" lol.

I agree with many of the OP's views on the city. And I especially have never thought Midtown was "all that." I also agree that the advice given in the other thread he/she posted was not specific to Midtown, but to the OP's defense, Midtown is written of in a very positive light on this forum as if it is the "center" of Atlanta. IMO it is not and isn't much of an attraction unless you are going somewhere specific.
Thanks man; I appreciated reading your post. You are right that one of the sources that influenced my expectations for Midtown was this forum here on City-Data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Correct, I was persuaded that central Atlanta was the modern urban mecca of the South just like New Orleans and Charleston are the historic urban meccas.

Quote:
My point wasn't to convince or change his/her opinion.

I think OP is very unfamiliar with American cities, And don't understand the leafy neighborhoods in the Southeast.

I was pointing out some stuff said just isn't true, Regardless of what he or she felt by Atlanta core, Atlanta core DT/MT is one largest and urban cores in the South. And I have gut feeling OP probably notice the east Atlanta neighborhoods are leafy like those Winston-Salem neighborhoods, and did not pay attention to density difference because they are leafy.

Also the standard of Copenhagen of course Atlanta wouldn't compare only like 3 American cities could.
You're right that I'm not as familiar with large American metro areas as others on here probably are, but I have been to several, and Atlanta is the weakest metro area I have personally visited in my subjective opinion.

You're right about the East Atlanta neighborhoods. However, density numbers are not the most important factor for me. Urban vibrancy is the most important. There is obviously a correlation between density and urban vibrancy, but density is not the only variable. Santa Ana has twice as high of a population density as Sofia (and is located in a county of 3 million people), but Sofia is far more vibrant. A city with basically the same population as Santa Ana, Plovdiv, is also far more vibrant.

Sofia:

Plovdiv:

These cities are in the poorest country in the EU with per capita income below the U.S. minimum wage and a national population smaller than Georgia...they are not world-famous tourist destinations either.

To be clear, there is more vibrancy to these cities than just those streets. These pictures also reflect an ordinary day, not a special event.

Regarding how few American cities can compare to Copenhagen, the more I travel, the more I realize you're right. Which is a shame. America can do better.

Quote:
If OP is disappoint in Midtown that's sad but it's impossible to win them all and that's his/her opinion.
Nothing to be sad about! If you enjoy Midtown and Atlanta, that's good for you! Just because I was disappointed in it doesn't mean I have a problem with people who love it. I made the thread because I suspected that some would agree, which has proven to be correct by the reputation comments I've received.

Last edited by shunketsu; 04-16-2016 at 12:33 PM..

Old 04-16-2016, 01:22 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,370,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
I recently visited Atlanta for the first time to see if it was a place I would potentially like to work in. I visited a lot of the city's core neighborhoods (and some suburbs). I knew that Downtown Atlanta had a weak reputation for the size of the metro area and that the metro area is incredibly sprawled out. But I kept on reading and hearing that Midtown Atlanta was a relatively vibrant, urban neighborhood-- good for young professionals (a category I belong to).

When I actually got to Atlanta, Downtown was basically what I expected it to be but Midtown was a big disappointment. It was fairly sterile, un-lively the two times I visited, and after-hours most of the pedestrian activity on the streets seemed to be recreational (i.e. jogging or walking a dog) instead of utilitarian. There was a lack of sidewalk dining and the few tables that were out were all vacant, even though it was 70 degrees with no humidity when I was there. I think Peachtree Street itself is a problem: it's too wide and the speed limit is too high. This really makes sitting on a bench or at a table unpleasant, so I can see why practically no one would want to sit outside even on days with good weather. My recommendation to the CoA would be to reduce the speed limit and narrow the street (and widen the sidewalks or add bike lanes instead).

Piedmont Park was nice, but I have decided to cross Atlanta off my list as a potential work location. I used to live in a town of 20,000 people in Europe that was more vibrant than Downtown & Midtown Atlanta...

I hope to revisit the city and metro area in a few decades and see the results of change and progress!

Keep in mind that Atlanta is a city where most people commute to from the suburbs. I know that the same can be said of other major cities but Atlanta was never build up for people to live in and work...mostly just work. That's just how Atlanta is (and I suppose that this could change). For what you expect to see, you may have to consider major cities in the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta