Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:29 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The headline of the article states:

"How Atlanta Was Kept Out Of Cobb County By A 10-Foot-Wide City"

and in the body of the article itself:

"Atlanta's suburban white population was growing, Crimmins said. Former Mayor William Hartsfield thought Atlanta should grow and include these new suburbs. His successor ─ Ivan Allen Jr. ─ wanted the same.

But these additional areas that the two Atlanta mayors hoped to annex? Areas bordering Atlanta, like Sandy Springs or perhaps parts of Cobb County? They weren’t exactly on board."

You seem to be very selective in your quoting. The intent to do so is strongly implied. Also, to post the quote you provided in context:

"It was effective; Atlanta never tried to annex any part of the county. In fact, Atlanta pretty much stopped expanding altogether."
Right, and that being part of Atlanta is an undesirable option to Cobb is exactly the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 08:25 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Right, and that being part of Atlanta is an undesirable option to Cobb is exactly the point.
Dude, it was 50 years ago. Most of agree can agree that it was nothing to be proud of. But most of us weren't here and had nothing to do with it.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:29 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Dude, it was 50 years ago. Most of agree can agree that it was nothing to be proud of. But most of us weren't here and had nothing to do with it.
That is great. I really hope to see that change happen. But it is not here yet. That Braves quote was just a couple years ago. And this year many Cobb reps lead the effort for "religious liberty" dispite opposition from much of the rest of the metro and the governer.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:34 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,665 times
Quote:
That is great. I really hope to see that change happen. But it is not here yet. That Braves quote was just a couple years ago. And this year many Cobb reps lead the effort for "religious liberty" dispite opposition from much of the rest of the metro and the governer.
Agree, the religious liberty bills were garbage. Cobb Democrats voted against them, and I am glad the governor vetoed the one that did pass. And certainly some of the GOP representation the county has is an embarrassment, but that is not any different than many of the other suburban counties (and to be fair, some of the representatives from the CoA have been pretty embarrassing, too).

Old 04-28-2016, 08:41 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
I am talking formal anti-Atlanta actions taken by leaders of Cobb. Can you point to similar actions that CoA has done to "keep out" Cobb?
If Cobb started talking about gobbling up big chunks of the city of Atlanta and running them out of Marietta, I have little doubt that Atlanta would try to prevent it.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:47 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Quote:
Lol. You are trying to troll the in-towners, right?
...I didn't know mentioning that there is ample parking is considered trolling. The Cumberland Mall area is accessible by MARTA. I don't know if the route still exists, but there was/is a bus that left Midtown Station (12 bus) and took you straight to Cumberland Mall without needing to transfer.

Also, this post was created for people to list where they'd like to see a meet-up and so I'm not aiming to please in-towners versus O.T.P. People should feel comfortable posting and not have to worry about this battle between O.T.P. & I.T.P and then Cobb versus Atlanta versus Gwinnett. It's too much!!!

Old 04-28-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I doubt we should be using CD as a sample.
Quote:
I am talking formal anti-Atlanta actions taken by leaders of Cobb. Can you point to similar actions that CoA has done to "keep out" Cobb?

How Atlanta Was Kept Out Of Cobb County By A 10-Foot-Wide City | WABE 90.1 FM

Suburban Cobb County Leader Fears Rail From Atlanta to New Braves Stadium | Streetsblog USA

You guys...PLEASE stick to the topic.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How about Ray's or South City kitchen?

Pappadeaux and Copeland's are not bad if you are looking for something more casual.
I've heard of Pappadeaux (their food is good). I will look up Copeland, Ray, and South City when I get a chance. Thanks for posting your suggestions.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:05 PM

994 posts, read 1,541,318 times
Well, this thread has already been derailed.

Since I'm already in Cobb, the Cumberland area is convenient. So are Smyrna, Vinings, Marietta, et. al.

However, I'm more than willing to entertain other areas, like Sandy Springs, Perimeter, Dunwoody, Midtown ...

Old 04-28-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Well, this thread has already been derailed.

Since I'm already in Cobb, the Cumberland area is convenient. So are Smyrna, Vinings, Marietta, et. al.

However, I'm more than willing to entertain other areas, like Sandy Springs, Perimeter, Dunwoody, Midtown ...

This post is a breath of fresh air. Not only was it positive but also modeled being open to different areas. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta