Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 07:18 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
They have the money. They could build Heavy Rail up to Windward, but then they'd have to pull back on a lot of the BRT that they've planned otherwise. I don't know if Fulton really needs as much BRT as they're pushing for, but that's where the money is going.
They are going to half ass it and not give it dedicated lanes, where does North Fulton have the extra capacity or additional ROW to add a dedicated bus lane?
Quote:
I'm still really frustrated that they never even considered commuter rail to Palmetto for southern Fulton. It's just such a missed opportunity IMO.
They probably do not want to neg with the railroads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 12:30 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
Just... how could you have this in N Fulton, right on 400:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0708...7i13312!8i6656

...and extend the MARTA heavy rail thru N Fulton, along 400, but not to there? A huge amazing walk-able TOD just waiting for a train? It's like... if you're going to spend money on something, might as well get the best bang for your buck.

"BRT" on 400 is just going to mean express buses running in traffic in the managed lanes. That's not BRT. And in any case, to make you change modes between HRT/BRT, just to keep going in the same direction, is silly as can be.

Holcomb Bridge "BRT", I doubt they'll do that right either. It will probably just be a frequent bus with some signal priority or whatever.

Once again, glad I escaped miserably internally confused Fulton County. None of this seems rational, or designed by people who actually ride transit.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Just... how could you have this in N Fulton, right on 400:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0708...7i13312!8i6656

...and extend the MARTA heavy rail thru N Fulton, along 400, but not to there? A huge amazing walk-able TOD just waiting for a train? It's like... if you're going to spend money on something, might as well get the best bang for your buck.

"BRT" on 400 is just going to mean express buses running in traffic in the managed lanes. That's not BRT. And in any case, to make you change modes between HRT/BRT, just to keep going in the same direction, is silly as can be.

Holcomb Bridge "BRT", I doubt they'll do that right either. It will probably just be a frequent bus with some signal priority or whatever.

Once again, glad I escaped miserably internally confused Fulton County. None of this seems rational, or designed by people who actually ride transit.
As it currently exist, Avalon is not TOD. But even if HRT were extended along 400 North, Avalon isn't preserving any available land for a future station: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0712.../data=!3m1!1e3. They appear to be building up against the freeway ROW.
It is very shortsighted to force a transfer to BRT, instead of extending the existing HRT line.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
As it currently exist, Avalon is not TOD. But even if HRT were extended along 400 North, Avalon isn't preserving any available land for a future station: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0712.../data=!3m1!1e3. They appear to be building up against the freeway ROW.
It is very shortsighted to force a transfer to BRT, instead of extending the existing HRT line.
That's false actually, they do have an available and set aside area on the northeast side of their property just south of Webb Bridge Rd. Google Maps isn't working right now for me, or I'd show you.

In fact, that's the spot that MARTA used for their station placement in their official Connect 400 documents. And there was some video where Mark Toro pointed to that spot and said, "that's where the MARTA station will go". Which would be a good spot, adjacent to the office towers.

That spot is not developed, and I haven't seen any plans to develop it.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
That's false actually, they do have an available and set aside area on the northeast side of their property just south of Webb Bridge Rd. Google Maps isn't working right now for me, or I'd show you.

In fact, that's the spot that MARTA used for their station placement in their official Connect 400 documents. And there was some video where Mark Toro pointed to that spot and said, "that's where the MARTA station will go". Which would be a good spot, adjacent to the office towers.

That spot is not developed, and I haven't seen any plans to develop it.
Nothing says Transit Oriented development, like putting the station at the furthest point away from the development. The people are going to use the walk from the station to Avalon as an excuse not to use transit to visit it.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:39 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,529,813 times
First you tell people a mile walk to a park from a train station with kids is no big deal, now you're saying a quarter mile walk is too far? Really? The geography of the area makes it impractical to build an underground station right under the center of the development.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
First you tell people a mile walk to a park from a train station with kids is no big deal, now you're saying a quarter mile walk is too far? Really? The geography of the area makes it impractical to build an underground station right under the center of the development.
I said people will use that as an excuse.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:50 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Should Amazon happen to move here, do you guys think that'll impact rail expansion plans?

Old 01-11-2018, 03:55 PM

I think there will be zero rail, Amazon or no Amazon. They'll just improve bus service in north and south Fulton, citing costs.

Nothing progressive ever happens around here.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:29 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
I think there will be zero rail, Amazon or no Amazon. They'll just improve bus service in north and south Fulton, citing costs.

Nothing progressive ever happens around here.
I was thinking about the Gulch, and whether we might see a multi-modal station, commuter rail, and the like. No clue if that would be permitted through TSPLOST funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta