Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 10:53 AM

935 posts, read 3,448,226 times

Advertisements

I bought an older home, and there are things I both need and want to improve over the next 10-15 years. The first updates will be roof, chimney, furnace/AC/HWH, driveway, and stop the yard from flooding. I'd also like to add a cross gable to the front of the house and extend the porch and add a decorative fence.

So here is some of my experience thus far:
  • Get estimate from roofer to fix flashing
  • All of them said the won't repair it with my current roof and happily gave me a quote for new roof.
  • None of them mentioned that the chimney is bad and should be replaced.
  • Next I brought in a mason who told me my chimney was bad and agreed to schmear it with caulk (no warranty) to try to extend the life of the roof.
  • The mason told me the chimney was bad and needs to be replaced from the roof up.
  • The mason also said that if I replace the HWH and furnace I can vent out the side of the house and remove the chimney (just roof over it).

I'm feeling a bit lost both because each trade seems to be narrowly focused on just their specially (can't blame them there) and mostly interested in generating the largest revenue items (again, no surprises there). I also am starting to see some interdependence between the projects that will affect how I prioritize things. I'm not sure how to pull this all together.

Should I get independent estimates for everything I want to do, even if I don't know that I will do it or if its 10 years off? Or should I get a GC?

What I do know is this: I can't write a $20,000 check unless there is some huge savings that would offset the cost of interest for a 3-4 year loan at 6%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 11:58 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Either do the research and learn how to inspect these things for yourself or hire a GC you trust. One of the GC's jobs is to figure out how to do all of the repairs in the right order and coordinate with the subs. I've done this myself and it's a lot of work, more so if your significant other is second and third guessing every decision made by you and the subcontractors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House