Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 08:35 AM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
How can you obtain wealth if you don't have wealth in the first place? That's the issue, the Government, corporations, and the media work very hard to keep poor people poor and black people are disproportionately poor due to our history in this country.
Education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 08:40 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Does it make it right for people to pay for the sins of their fathers, even if their ancestors weren't in this country at the time (such as in my case)?
I guess I would ask why someone like you would be intransigent to helping, despite not having anything to do with it. From my calculations the return on the investment would pay for itself. Just think what would be saved in transfer payments (welfare), the criminal justice system (prison industrial complex) in terms of taxes that pay for these things now. Now imagine black per capita income and wealth being on par with whites. How much would that added buying power add to GDP and the revenue of many businesses that you might even own. To me, not investing in repairing the damage done to blacks actually keeps America and you by extension, from reaching its full potential. To me it’s a no brainer….unless someone has a vested interest in seeing blacks remain below whites.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:43 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I guess I would ask why someone like you would be intransigent to helping, despite not having anything to do with it. From my calculations the return on the investment would pay for itself. Just think what would be saved in transfer payments (welfare), the criminal justice system (prison industrial complex) in terms of taxes that pay for these things now. Now imagine black per capita income and wealth being on par with whites. How much would that added buying power add to GDP and the revenue of many businesses that you might even own. To me, not investing in repairing the damage done to blacks actually keeps America and you by extension, from reaching its full potential. To me it’s a no brainer….unless someone has a vested interest in seeing blacks remain below whites.
I think virtually everyone who's not some sort of bigot would agree with that sentiment. The question seems to be more "How?" rather than "Why?"

Old 05-03-2016, 08:44 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Only some politicians and the private prison industry have an interest in seeing that.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:51 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
So that the Hispanics at Cross Keys can transfer to Black schools?

There is not a majority white HS or MS in DeKalb County. And only Dunwoody and Lakeside have white pluralities. Chamblee and Cross Keys are the only other schools that aren't majority Black. Druid Hills is probably the only other one not at least 90% Black. There are only a handful of elementary schools that are majority white, 1 in the DH cluster and a few in the Lakeside and Dunwoody clusters.

DeKalb does have a fairly liberal transfer policy for special programs when there is space.
Sure. I went through DeKalb school system while M2M was in place and think it was a positive thing for all involved. M2M doesn't have to be only one way. I went to a magnet school in DeKalb for a year that was 90% black. Honestly, it needs to go beyond the county level. If a student from south DeKalb decides it is best for them to go to a school in Forsyth, they should have that option.

You can see today how barriers of race and class have still endured, we need to proactively work to break those down. Schools are, often unintentionally, used as a proxy for racism and classism today. School ratings are really student ratings. Race and class are much more directly associated with poor school ratings than anything the school system can do.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:53 AM

994 posts, read 1,541,318 times
It is patently obvious in this thread that the gulf in reality / perception between blacks and whites is significant.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
I think virtually everyone who's not some sort of bigot would agree with that sentiment. The question seems to be more "How?" rather than "Why?"
The question you asked is what I responded to. You did not ask "How". You basically asked "Is it right" and I essentially laid out why it is a good investment in America, if not "right".

I do not really think the question is "how". I think the "how" is simply obfuscation or a way to invoke paralysis through never ending analysis....by debating the how. I have no doubt in my mind that the issue is not HOW....but rather the WILL and DESIRE to get it done.

If the "Repair" makes so much sense and America was on board.....it would have happened long ago. Politicians will not touch this would a 10 foot poll because they know that the electorate is averse to any such repair.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Does it make it right for people to pay for the sins of their fathers, even if their ancestors weren't in this country at the time (such as in my case)?
If you are white in the U.S., you are or have been a beneficiary of the legacy of all we have discussed.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
If you are white in the U.S., you are or have been a beneficiary of the legacy of all we have discussed.
That is right. Even if one did not take a step forward, in that regard, forcing blacks to take a step back put you forward.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

All of you posting here who are black and who consider yourselves middle class, do you actually feel that you cannot gain anything in wealth throughout your lives? Do you really think that someone can stop you from accumulating valuable assets?

I don't.
No, I do not feel that way.

Institutional and societal factors CAN stop, derail or make it more difficult for us to accumulate valuable assets.

This entire thread originated from the premise that this is so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta