Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 01:14 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
At least they fought. There is no "true" way to be Ghanaian. Not every culture insist on monolithic thought like African-Americans do.
Failing to provide supporting evidence of your claim succeeds at providing supporting evidence of ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 01:46 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Going out of my way? What nonsense. My surname isn't Anglo that alone prompts queries. I'm marginally fluent in my mother's tongue and finally my culture & roots don't run through the South.

African-Americans have such an inferiority complex they're threatened by blacks that assert their own culture. Sad!
No, I'm not threatened by anything. Also, I personally don't consider myself an "African" American. I am a black American. I have roots going back hundreds of years in this country and all of them are not in the South, though I don't see what's so bad about the south . The South is pretty nice IMO.

That's great you are marginally fluent in your mom's language. I have no problem with that and think you should keep it and teach it to your kids, that is a great thing to have in one's background/culture. I think language is very important to hold onto one's culture, which is also one of the reasons why I don't look poorly upon Black Vernacular English either. I consider it culturally relevant like you consider your "mother's tongue" culturally relevant. I also don't view your language as superior to mine.

However, there are many black Americans who have names that are not "Anglo" either. Many also have changed their surnames to African-esque surnames or Arabic or they have Spanish or Italian or German last names. I also know some bi-racial people who say they are "black" and not bi-racial who have Polish surnames due their white parent. Surnames do not indicate anything.

If someone sees you on the street or in an interview and if they ask you (something stupid usually) about black people or some sort of "race issue," I'm sure you will make sure to mention that you are not a black American. To me that is going out of your way to separate yourself from black Americans and to "impress" upon the asking person (probably a white person) not to place you as an inferior regular old black person. Also based on many posts you have shared, I'm sure you point out what you consider the failings of black Americans at every chance to non-black people and other Africans alike, to further separate yourself and "impress" upon the idea that you are not a black American. When you could easily just answer whatever stupid race question someone asks you without bringing up your "other ness" (in your POV superior culture).

You've been in this country long enough, probably were born here, to know that a large amount of black people born in America and whose grandparents may be from "the South" are doing well in life and are not bullying your anymore like you were in school (boo hoo, cry me a river lol. All sorts of people are bullied as kids). Instead you make yourself "better" based on your mother's country. I think it is pretty sad but its your life and you can view things however you want and do whatever you want, just like I can plainly view and know that you have an inferiority complex about being black in America (it has invested you) due to the fact that you even admitted you "decided" to focus on Ghanaian "culture." Though by all accounts Ghanaian culture is not superior to black American culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Then why are you over here?
This is basically what I asked of many African immigrants with similar POVs to Edward along with West Indians/Caribbeans who also like to badmouth black Americans sometimes.

It is silly to me.

At least we are invested in our people and our culture and our country. We stay on a wide scale and work to make it better. That is actually a part of our "culture" - Social Uplift and Activism. They abandon theirs, and move to ours for a "better life" which was built upon the backs and activities of our black ancestors along with the collaboration of white Americans here in America. Then they have the gall to ridicule us when if it wasn't for us, they would not have the opportunities here that they do.

FWIW, I also worked with quite a few people from Ghana, they were nice people and they actually never really engaged in these sorts of bad mouthing of black Americans in our frequent conversations. Nigerians and Cameroonians did lol and they also spoke poorly of each other a lot, worse than they did about black Americans lol. The main thing I remember about a nice co-worker of mine who was born in Ghana was that she was only staying in the US due to wanting her kids to finish school here. She said school in Ghana was not good compared to America. She lived in Cobb County and said she'd have to pay to get her kids a decent private school education in Ghana that she got for them for free in the US. However, she missed her country and wanted to move back and was actually working that job (it was a part time customer service job) due to having a home built back in Ghana for her to move to when her youngest graduated from high school. Another Ghanaian "culturally" I knew, I met through my husband. She was born in America but her parents were Ghanaian. She was basically my hang out buddy in college and we are still friends and she has never said any craziness about black Americans. She grew up in metro Atlanta. She goes to Ghana once or twice a year to visit family if she has the money and to get her hair braided lol. She says cheap braids is the best thing about Ghana and she would not want to live there.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 05-06-2016 at 01:57 PM..

Old 05-06-2016, 10:50 PM

283 posts, read 375,418 times
Quote:
At any rate few want to live or go to school with black Americans due to their negative, regressive culture. That's why even middle income black areas see minimal real estate appreciation. Deal with it.
This is silly and you're being silly.

If you see the entire black American culture as negative and regressive, then not only do I feel sorry for you, but I also want nothing to do with you, either. If I had children, I wouldn't let them have anything to do with yours, either.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:58 PM

283 posts, read 375,418 times
Quote:
Typical response from African-Americans, little logic, just ad hominem attacks. Oh well slavery did a number on you. Oh btw my people fought the Brits for 100 years winning several battles. Colonization was minor in our part of the world.
In between the various slave revolts and the entirety of the Civil Rights Movement, what makes you think black Americans didn't not fight for their right to humanity?

Then again, you think your people are better than black Americans. No wonder you're behaving the way you are right now.

Also surprising how this thread hasn't gotten locked just yet...or at least moved someplace else.

Last edited by John Williams; 05-06-2016 at 11:14 PM..

Old 05-07-2016, 06:06 AM

112 posts, read 115,234 times
I have many African friends. I have been to Ghana a few times, but most of my friends in the US are East Africans. What you say I have found to be true. The "African" in America represents, to me, PROOF that black dysfunction is a product of prolonged exposure living under a white supremacy doctrine, which preached, propagated and created the self fulfilling prophecy of white superiority and black inferiority. Black people who have not been exposed to this radiation that creates socioeconomic and cultural mutations, tend to do a lot better than those with prolonged generational exposure

Regardless of EdwardA's evident ignorance this remains true

Last edited by Blessed310; 05-07-2016 at 06:41 AM..

Old 05-07-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed310 View Post
I have many African friends. I have been to Ghana a few times, but most of my friends in the US are East Africans. What you say I have found to be true. The "African" in America represents, to me, PROOF that black dysfunction is a product of prolonged exposure living under a white supremacy doctrine, which preached, propagated and created the self fulfilling prophecy of white superiority and black inferiority. Black people who have not been exposed to this radiation that creates socioeconomic and cultural mutations, tend to do a lot better than those with prolonged generational exposure

Thank you. Matabaruka summed it up in song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9HQIxme3bk

Old 05-07-2016, 08:59 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Going to turn this back around to the original discussion.

The most glaring thing that this article brings up, IMO, is the percentage point where whites flee a neighborhood when a minority people reach certain percentage point. I am sure this number will vary depending on the individual but it certainly is raising over time. I can remember a time when 1% caused whites to start moving. Surely that number is higher now for even the most racist white. Is there really anywhere they can go these days that is 100% white?

That AAs (and other minorities) are willing to be the only of their race in a new situation and whites refuse (I am sure their are exceptions to the rule, but I can't think of any personally) shows a strength and resolve that if nothing else should make minorities a little proud. I don't know what to call this, the inverse of white privilege... the inherent weakness of character that is exposed. I mean really, us whites need to admit that the fact that we wouldn't move into an all black neighborhood is a true inherent racist mindset. We will talk about house prices, crime, schools..... cloak it in something else, but it is deep seated racism at its core. And I am not scared (and a bit ashamed) to admit it.

Another point: Don't measure your property wealth by how much it compares to other areas, but against what it was purchased for originally. Anyone purchasing just prior to the 2008 real estate collapse. lost wealth. This article is pointing out that it is taking longer for certain pockets to rebound... and it seems it is more pronounced in higher end properties in predominately black neighborhoods. That is certainly a hardship that I wouldn't wish on anyone. But what about those that have profited (or will) over other's loss? I mean look at what you can buy a super great home for in those areas now. Surely the market has bottomed and is on the upswing. Other blacks will be able to buy really low and live in much more house than what they would in other areas and will be right side up in their investment very soon bar another collapse.

And, who knows when the next collapse will be? Certainly nobody buying in the mid 00s thought it would happens so quick. So, the great gamble of real estate. There have always been winners and losers in this game. Enter cautiously whoever you are.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Going to turn this back around to the original discussion.

The most glaring thing that this article brings up, IMO, is the percentage point where whites flee a neighborhood when a minority people reach certain percentage point. I am sure this number will vary depending on the individual but it certainly is raising over time. I can remember a time when 1% caused whites to start moving. Surely that number is higher now for even the most racist white. Is there really anywhere they can go these days that is 100% white?

That AAs (and other minorities) are willing to be the only of their race in a new situation and whites refuse (I am sure their are exceptions to the rule, but I can't think of any personally) shows a strength and resolve that if nothing else should make minorities a little proud. I don't know what to call this, the inverse of white privilege... the inherent weakness of character that is exposed. I mean really, us whites need to admit that the fact that we wouldn't move into an all black neighborhood is a true inherent racist mindset. We will talk about house prices, crime, schools..... cloak it in something else, but it is deep seated racism at its core. And I am not scared (and a bit ashamed) to admit it.

Another point: Don't measure your property wealth by how much it compares to other areas, but against what it was purchased for originally. Anyone purchasing just prior to the 2008 real estate collapse. lost wealth. This article is pointing out that it is taking longer for certain pockets to rebound... and it seems it is more pronounced in higher end properties in predominately black neighborhoods. That is certainly a hardship that I wouldn't wish on anyone. But what about those that have profited (or will) over other's loss? I mean look at what you can buy a super great home for in those areas now. Surely the market has bottomed and is on the upswing. Other blacks will be able to buy really low and live in much more house than what they would in other areas and will be right side up in their investment very soon bar another collapse.

And, who knows when the next collapse will be? Certainly nobody buying in the mid 00s thought it would happens so quick. So, the great gamble of real estate. There have always been winners and losers in this game. Enter cautiously whoever you are.
You made some great points. One being that the propensity or threshold has risen for whites, before they flee a community that is integrating. I think you are also right for the reason why......there is no longer any place to run anymore. Maybe that is why cities or urban cores are becoming more popular with whites now that blacks are moving to suburbs in record numbers. You also pointed out the fact that whites are still averse to moving into a majority black community unless it is a target for urban gentrification, which usually means that black percentages will start to decline overtime.

Overall good post!

Old 05-07-2016, 10:03 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
True....but in America 9 times out of 10 that is what it translates to. Today, people are trying to replace issues of race....with euphemisms to hide the large racial undercurrent. When it comes down to it....it always....just so happens to be pointing a negative at blacks. For example, "good schools". If a kid comes from a certain type of household and certain type environment, they will do well in school. In other words, good students tend to do well in any school.....so why such an emphasis on "good schools", when most of the parents looking for good schools have kids who are "good students"? I will tell you why. "Good Schools" is a euphemism for demographics and demographics is a euphemism for race. Thus, "good schools" is code for looking for a certain racial makeup as black schools with lots of blacks are often "bad schools" and schools that are often white are often "good schools". I am not saying that there is not some truth to this, based upon test scores and such, but that the reason its true is still rooted in the legacy of racial oppression.
This is a common theme on C-D as well and is a part of why I put information into a thread in the NY forum about schools, black percentages and median household incomes, etc. For instance, the Blackest high school in Upstate NY has a solid 86% graduation rate(the all male and 97% Black, Green Tech Charter HS in Albany). 86% is above state and national percentages. So, I tell people to be careful about things like you mentioned, because a lot if times, it is based upon hearsay.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:13 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed310 View Post

I agree but I don't know why you're calling me ignorant? I guess I'm a little too blunt in expressing it, oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta