Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 08:40 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,619,482 times

Advertisements

On Saturday, May 7th, my wife and I were visiting Acworth, GA staying at the Days Inn on Highway 92 in Acworth. We live in Huntsville, AL....

While coming out of our room, a stranger - a white male, approached me asking me to give him our spare tire. He explained to me that he got a flat and that his spare was shot and he was 57 miles away from home and would very much appreciate us giving him our spare so he could make it home. He didn't go into any detail how - if at all - he'd return our spare - and while I was wanting to do what I could do to help him, giving ANYWONE - let alone a perfect stranger I'll never see again - my spare, is out of the question...

He didn't stick around long enough to hear my reasons for not complying to his request - but instead went to the nearby Shoney's to ask others his odd request.

Years ago I would have taken his flat tire off his car, thrown it in the trunk, and the two of us would have been off to the nearest tire store for a replacement. By the time we would have gotten back, we'd be best friends, sharing jokes, and phone numbers and a bond would have been made... But in today's environment, not so much.

I felt guilty about not being able to help him out - but as I watched him talk to others in Shoney's parking lot, someone apparently complied with his request, and I hope he got home just fine - and I give a huge thumbs up to the person that gave away their spare... I wasn't willing to do that, simply because I was 3 hours from home, and who am I going to convince to give ME their spare, should I had needed it?

Isn't it a shame that lending a stranger a hand in today's world, is so tainted with 'what if's' ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 08:50 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,950,229 times
I wouldn't have either. For one, what if I need my spare? I can't just give away something I might need the very next day.
Were you at least able to see the tires in question?

Old 05-09-2016, 08:54 AM

23,509 posts, read 44,182,589 times
Hell no l'm not giving some stranger my spare. Too bad he didn't have the foresight to replace his before embarking on a long trip.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:54 AM

1,160 posts, read 715,031 times
are spare tires that standard that you can bum one from anyone?

Second, why would you compromise the safety of you and your family by giving away your own spare?

Finally, the questions should not have been "can i have your spare?" but rather "may I borrow your cell phone to call a tow truck?"

Old 05-09-2016, 08:59 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,392,078 times
I had a scamster ask for money to buy Fix-A-Flat from a gas station. I know he was a scamster because about a week later the same guy approached me with the same request. Either that or he is one very unlucky guy.

But maybe keep a can of Fix-A-Flat and offer that instead?

Old 05-09-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I wouldn't have either. For one, what if I need my spare? I can't just give away something I might need the very next day.
Were you at least able to see the tires in question?
After he asked, and I replied with a 'I'm sorry but...' he didn't stick around.
He was off to the next person... I didn't see his tires - flat or otherwise -

Old 05-09-2016, 09:04 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,033,857 times
Nope, There are probably a dozen Tire places within 5 miles of the DaysInn.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
are spare tires that standard that you can bum one from anyone?

Second, why would you compromise the safety of you and your family by giving away your own spare?

Finally, the questions should not have been "can i have your spare?" but rather "may I borrow your cell phone to call a tow truck?"
Nope... they have to have the same number of lugs and same pattern... (same distance apart on the lug nuts)... and he didn't tell me what he was driving, or ask what I was driving...

Old 05-09-2016, 09:11 AM

8,488 posts, read 15,025,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
On Saturday, May 7th, my wife and I were visiting Acworth, GA staying at the Days Inn on Highway 92 in Acworth. We live in Huntsville, AL....

While coming out of our room, a stranger - a white male, approached me asking me to give him our spare tire. He explained to me that he got a flat and that his spare was shot and he was 57 miles away from home and would very much appreciate us giving him our spare so he could make it home. He didn't go into any detail how - if at all - he'd return our spare - and while I was wanting to do what I could do to help him, giving ANYWONE - let alone a perfect stranger I'll never see again - my spare, is out of the question...

He didn't stick around long enough to hear my reasons for not complying to his request - but instead went to the nearby Shoney's to ask others his odd request.

Years ago I would have taken his flat tire off his car, thrown it in the trunk, and the two of us would have been off to the nearest tire store for a replacement. By the time we would have gotten back, we'd be best friends, sharing jokes, and phone numbers and a bond would have been made... But in today's environment, not so much.

I felt guilty about not being able to help him out - but as I watched him talk to others in Shoney's parking lot, someone apparently complied with his request, and I hope he got home just fine - and I give a huge thumbs up to the person that gave away their spare... I wasn't willing to do that, simply because I was 3 hours from home, and who am I going to convince to give ME their spare, should I had needed it?

Isn't it a shame that lending a stranger a hand in today's world, is so tainted with 'what if's' ?
You spent entirely too much time explaining to a stranger why you wouldn't give him your property. This should've been a quick "**** off" or just ignored him.

This is a big city. There are tire, tow, and repair places open 24 hours a day. If someone is in that situation, they should be calling their insurance to send out a truck.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:15 AM

49 posts, read 48,650 times
If you read the crime reports in Atlanta many of the car jackings, robberies etc...were people asking for help and then attacking the person. Perhaps this guy was truly needing help but that is what triple A is for. I would never ask a stranger for their spare tire. He can put that burden on a commercial business not a citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta