Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2016, 01:16 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Things I like here:

Every sign, of every route? Wow.

Regardless, great stuff. Show the route #(s), schedules, all that info. Do what the MARTA Army did, in an official way.

All I want to know is, will this be high enough frequency for me to be able to use it when I want to use it. And, will this pick me up at the Cumberland Transfer Center and take me straight and direct to Arts Center Station via the 75 HOV lanes from Akers Mill to Northside Dr. If so, awesome.

Really? That last part sounds like a massively expensive GDOT project, and at a glance I don't know how they'd do it. But if true, that's totally awesome.

I would assume that's what will happen, otherwise not much point to it. Well, except for not having to worry about parking.

Also, I hope it lets out right at the stadium. That would be cool.
From the meetings I remember, the bus drop off will not be in a priority spot, but more an afterthought. If memory serves me correctly, it will be close to Circle 75 and Windy Ridge. Also, there was no talk of dedicated lanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 01:17 PM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Because your car (or a bus) cannot carry 195 passengers or operate on the narrow dedicated RoW of the Beltline. Plus your car will take up parking space where ever you try to take it.

LRT is very versatile and high-capacity that other transportation options cannot match. Nothing else can carry so many and operate a continuous route on both narrow dedicated RoW and surface level mixed in with people / traffic.

That ability to do both is a huge asset to why this should be expanded. Dedicated RoW should be done wherever possible, but many pieces / connections will still make sense to share with other modes.
Well you can add as many buses as you want to get the capacity. And an articulated bus can probably carry 120. There's no guarantee you will even need that many.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:22 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Well you can add as many buses as you want to get the capacity. And an articulated bus can probably carry 120. There's no guarantee you will even need that many.
Adding buses means adding drivers and the benefits that an extra employee comes with.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:24 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Quote:
Yes, but they cannot operate in as narrow of a RoW as LRT nor do they have the same appeal / attraction.

These lines should also be able to scale up. If they need to increase capacity over 195 they can start joining trains together to double the capacity.

Even today, MARTA rail costs less per passenger to run than MARTA bus. You will get a lot of economies of scale over busses once the LRT system is fully online too.

Then of course there is the fact that there is just not a reasonable way to run busses on the Beltline.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:24 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,695,326 times
Quote:
And each bus requires another driver. The S70 streetcars / light rail vehicles that Atlanta got can carry 195 passengers. So, you pay more in the long-run for more drivers, more vehicles, and the shorter-lives of those vehicles.

In addition, BRT, by nature of the vehicles, requires wider right of way than rail. BRT would have required wider right of way than HRT along the Connect 400 corridor, which, in the narrow way that the BeltLine runs through, is a real, tangible problem.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:49 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
And each bus requires another driver. The S70 streetcars / light rail vehicles that Atlanta got can carry 195 passengers. So, you pay more in the long-run for more drivers, more vehicles, and the shorter-lives of those vehicles.

In addition, BRT, by nature of the vehicles, requires wider right of way than rail. BRT would have required wider right of way than HRT along the Connect 400 corridor, which, in the narrow way that the BeltLine runs through, is a real, tangible problem.
The width of a regular traffic lane isn't that much.

And you have to have the volume for it to make sense to have rail. A bus may be plenty.
And capital costs are dramatically more for rail.
Buses are also vastly more flexible for changing to meet changes in where people need to go.

There are very limited circumstances where rail makes more sense.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:13 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
Quote:
I think its good to get outside 285.
It's a nice thought, but it is virtually meaningless considering traffic is not an issue on MLK. For the cost, there is very little benefit. I haven't been able to track down estimated costs per project, but I recall seeing this at one point and this is either the most expensive project or one of the most expensive projects. The cost to benefit ratio is insanely low. Plus, I'm not sure if the station is even going to be OTP. This needs to be taken off the list w/ funds redirected to something useful.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:37 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
It's a nice thought, but it is virtually meaningless considering traffic is not an issue on MLK. For the cost, there is very little benefit. I haven't been able to track down estimated costs per project, but I recall seeing this at one point and this is either the most expensive project or one of the most expensive projects. The cost to benefit ratio is insanely low. Plus, I'm not sure if the station is even going to be OTP. This needs to be taken off the list w/ funds redirected to something useful.
The 285/20 intersection is a bottleneck. Getting it outside 285 helps those who use 20 to commute but live outside 285. It would be better if it went to Charlie Brown Airport or 6 Flags (which is in Cobb County). As it currently exists, it will get very little ridership from those who live outside 285.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:09 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Sweet! Thanks!

Old 06-22-2016, 10:24 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
Quote:
The 285/20 intersection is a bottleneck. Getting it outside 285 helps those who use 20 to commute but live outside 285. It would be better if it went to Charlie Brown Airport or 6 Flags (which is in Cobb County). As it currently exists, it will get very little ridership from those who live outside 285.
Once you get to where the MLK station would be, you would be less than a few minutes to the current terminus, with no bottlenecks in-between. Just because it sounds nice to have a station at or outside of 285 does not justify the over 500 million in cost (per martamenu.com). This brings criminally little to the table compared to other projects around the same cost.

BTW, per martamenu, this is the single most expensive project currently being considered. wow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta