Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2016, 08:36 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times

Advertisements

You are not going to attract new riders with more buses that just sit in traffic. Major cities require high-capacity transit in dedicated RoW to function effectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 11:20 AM

561 posts, read 781,322 times
...and also, buses are for poor black people! lol

Many idiots actually believe that crap unfortunately.

Seriously though, the "optional" riders are more likely to ride a train than take buses. It's a sad truth, but one which helps justifies rail over buses that are stuck in traffic.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:27 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg View Post

Seriously though, the "optional" riders are more likely to ride a train than take buses. It's a sad truth, but one which helps justifies rail over buses that are stuck in traffic.
Unless those buses have dedicated lanes, then the stigma might go away. Research has shown that demand riders will ride BRT.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:48 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,599 times
I guess I'm an "optional" rider and the biggest reason I'll take the train instead of a bus is reliability. I know the train's coming at least every 15-20 minutes, and I know exactly where it's going. My experiences trying to use the bus in Atlanta haven't been so consistent. If we can get bus routes that are easier to comprehend, and more frequent service, I think that would have the biggest impact on who uses buses in Atlanta. Race undoubtedly plays a part in why some people choose not to use transit, and that's unfortunate, but there are issues of user-friendliness and reliability at play, too.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:06 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,695,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Unless those buses have dedicated lanes, then the stigma might go away. Research has shown that demand riders will ride BRT.
True BRT has similar economic effects to Streetcars and LRT due to its visible permanence. The problem will come in with things like capacity and limited roadways.

Streetcars and LRT vehicles can be strung together to form a train, carrying twice as many people, without needing an additional driver, and without introducing an extra vehicle to have to schedule, which helps prevent things like bunching up.

Streetcars also have the benefit of still bringing economic incentives whether or not they're in a dedicated lane, which is somewhat inevitable given the narrow older streets of downtown where there's simply no room for transit only lanes. That's not to say that we shouldn't be pushing for transit only lanes where-ever we can, but that streetcars still represent permanent infrastructure vs. a bus on a normal street, which doesn't.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:10 PM

Question: does anyone have the most recent project lists from MARTA and the City? I can't seem to find any actual list, and i'm not so sure I should just trust CQ's map as being up to date and complete (sorry CQ).

Old 07-23-2016, 05:42 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Question: does anyone have the most recent project lists from MARTA and the City?
This is what the actual legislation has in it: http://renewatl.com/wp-content/uploa...hall-edits.pdf

Basically it has most all of the routes on the "wish list" (more projects than the money will cover alone) but they will be target projects as matching funds become available.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
This is what the actual legislation has in it: http://renewatl.com/wp-content/uploa...hall-edits.pdf

Basically it has most all of the routes on the "wish list" (more projects than the money will cover alone) but they will be target projects as matching funds become available.
Yeup! That's what I was looking for, from MARTA at least, thanks jsvh! Do you have source? Just curious, as to where it came from so I have an idea for the future.

Now I just need the city's...

Old 07-23-2016, 08:00 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg View Post

Buses work fine on short trips, 3-4 miles or less, when service is frequent and reliable, even without dedicated lanes.

When buses are not frequent or reliable or are on long trips, then, yes, the buses are overwhelmingly for poor, mostly minority people. People with a choice are doing something different.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:04 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
This whole concept of 'Arterial Rapid Transit', is the key. IMO.

It's the maximum quality transit return for dollar spent, and should be able to be implemented without GDOT interference.

And I would define ART as, every quality and characteristic of BRT, except the exclusive dedicated travel lanes. But it has signal/intersection priority so that it doesn't have to wait at red lights, or have to yield to oncoming cars on left turns, etc.

I would even have us treat it and refer to it as BRT. I would like to see very limited and spaced out stops (bus stations), permanent and named stations, BRT lines and stations on the official main system rail map, even without dedicated lanes.

Buses, and/or streetcars. But the former is so much cheaper and easier and faster to implement. Put the streetcar only on non-road ROW's like the BeltLine, and on major-status, potentially high capacity-demanding corridors like Peachtree. And even still, it can be complimented with articulated or double decker buses running the same route in the same lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta