Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 03:30 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times

Advertisements

I love it when the AJC does features like this! Here they highlight 11 (yes eleven!) long defunct Atlanta amusement parks. Some of them you've heard of, but a few are like "whu?!"

I still remember the creepy old "Funland" ruins on Stewart Avenue. "White City" amusement park?! Not so much! And how many people living in Atlanta today know we once had a Lion Country Safari?!

Exploring Atlanta's lost amusement parks | www.myajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 03:58 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,256,042 times
So this is more of an OTP memory, and I'm trying to remember the name, but I know there was an amusement park- with rides and I think even a roller coaster, in Lawrenceville. Around the corner of 120 and Riverside Pkwy, next to that little lake.

When we moved out to the area in 1995 it was still open, and I think it must have closed a year or 2 later.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:16 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,944,468 times
I vaguely remember Sun Valley in Roswell. It was at the end of Sun Valley Dr near the Honda dealership.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:21 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,299 times
I love the exploration of abandoned places. Fascinating information and photos. Seems every area has an old amusement park story. Back growing up in Virginia we had one amusement park within driving distance to my little town. It was called Lakeside in Roanoke. We always heard growing up they closed it due to a man getting beheaded by the roller coaster. We found out later it really happened. No trace of Lakeside remains today but they are thinking of reviving it. Roanoke could use a boost due to an economy languishing because of several company closures and the downsizing of the locomotive works and rail yard.

This pic shows the coaster that killed him:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6217/6...f319ba95_b.jpg

Old 05-17-2016, 04:29 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,256,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
I love the exploration of abandoned places. Fascinating information and photos. Seems every area has an old amusement park story. Back growing up in Virginia we had one amusement park within driving distance to my little town. It was called Lakeside in Roanoke. We always heard growing up they closed it due to a man getting beheaded by the roller coaster. We found out later it really happened. No trace of Lakeside remains today but they are thinking of reviving it. Roanoke could use a boost due to an economy languishing because of several company closures and the downsizing of the locomotive works and rail yard.

This pic shows the coaster that killed him:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6217/6...f319ba95_b.jpg
That also happened at Batman: The Ride at Six Flags. But it was some dumb kid who jumped a fence and was in a restricted area.

And I remember when someone died on the Z-Force, so they tore it down after only a couple years in GA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incide...s_Over_Georgia

Old 05-17-2016, 04:48 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
That also happened at Batman: The Ride at Six Flags. But it was some dumb kid who jumped a fence and was in a restricted area.

And I remember when someone died on the Z-Force, so they tore it down after only a couple years in GA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incide...s_Over_Georgia

I remember that!

Old 05-17-2016, 09:19 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,523 times
I remember The World of Sid and Marty Krofft in the Omni International Complex. An indoor theme park. At that time, I believe the escalator there led to it and it was the world's longest.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:15 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,154,529 times
Anyone remember American Adventures, right next to Whitewater? Good place to take the kids, but a bit pricey.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:28 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
I remember The World of Sid and Marty Krofft in the Omni International Complex. An indoor theme park. At that time, I believe the escalator there led to it and it was the world's longest.
I am not originally from here but remeber it as well. There was definitely a long escalator (not sure if it was the world's longest) because my dad does not care for heights and was not fond of it lol.

I took crap for years when I told my friends back home that I had gone to an amusement park called Omni. I was very young and didn't know it was also a hotel.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:55 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,972 times
With all the movies stuff happening in the city. I would to see Universal Studios come here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta