Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 06:22 AM

14 posts, read 18,104 times

Advertisements

What's best place of these to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 06:25 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Starbucks in those areas? There is a DD and Krispy Kreme on RDA in West End.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:05 AM

371 posts, read 456,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Starbucks in those areas? There is a DD and Krispy Kreme on RDA in West End.
I think he's asking what's the best place between:

1. West End
2. Westview
3. Cascade Rd near Starbucks

I'm very interesting in seeing the responses! I've got my eye on all these areas.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:32 PM

14 posts, read 18,104 times
Too many factors to give a straight answer

My ranking

West End and Cascade Heights are on par one though is 90 percent African American and the other is fast gentrifying and closer to downtown

Westview brings up the rear

Old 05-22-2016, 04:51 AM

787 posts, read 969,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry3 View Post
Too many factors to give a straight answer

My ranking

West End and Cascade Heights are on par one though is 90 percent African American and the other is fast gentrifying and closer to downtown

Westview brings up the rear
West End/Westview not 90+% black?

Old 05-22-2016, 04:53 AM

Depends on what type of person you are. I currently live on Fairburn Rd near Starbucks on Cascade and in transition moving to Westwood near Westview.
From my perspective the people who live near Starbucks on Cascade are more of the middle class black professional Church going bougie type. The people in Westview seem to be your poorer ghetto type, the people in West End are the black conscious type, vegan, Pan African, Nation of Islam, Hebrew Israelites types. Of course all these areas have each type of people innermixed too. IMO can't go wrong in any of these areas just depends on the type of crowd you prefer.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:57 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,444,619 times
Housing pricing is significantly less or more in certain areas. You question is to general.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:44 AM

371 posts, read 456,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
Depends on what type of person you are. I currently live on Fairburn Rd near Starbucks on Cascade and in transition moving to Westwood near Westview.
From my perspective the people who live near Starbucks on Cascade are more of the middle class black professional Church going bougie type. The people in Westview seem to be your poorer ghetto type, the people in West End are the black conscious type, vegan, Pan African, Nation of Islam, Hebrew Israelites types. Of course all these areas have each type of people innermixed too. IMO can't go wrong in any of these areas just depends on the type of crowd you prefer.
I love the cultural diversity that currently exists in the West End with the various black conscious folks. I hope that this culture is not lost with the influx of new residents. I definitely lean toward holistic/spiritual/afrocentric/hippy and enjoy the vibe in certain West End spots (Tassili's!). Some of this culture spills over onto Cascade Rd too (Yeye's Botanica).

But really, you can live in Westview or down along Cascade and still be a short ride to the cultural scene in the West End. I don't need to live in West End proper (although I'd like to!), I just want to be close by. I've noticed that you can get larger lots as you go west down the Cascade corridor.

Also, I think public schools matter, even if you don't plan on using them. It's a reflection of your neighbors. Cascade Elementary near Adams Park has decent ratings. West Manor Elementary closer to 285 has good ratings.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuiOui View Post
I love the cultural diversity that currently exists in the West End with the various black conscious folks. I hope that this culture is not lost with the influx of new residents. I definitely lean toward holistic/spiritual/afrocentric/hippy and enjoy the vibe in certain West End spots (Tassili's!). Some of this culture spills over onto Cascade Rd too (Yeye's Botanica).

But really, you can live in Westview or down along Cascade and still be a short ride to the cultural scene in the West End. I don't need to live in West End proper (although I'd like to!), I just want to be close by. I've noticed that you can get larger lots as you go west down the Cascade corridor.

Also, I think public schools matter, even if you don't plan on using them. It's a reflection of your neighbors. Cascade Elementary near Adams Park has decent ratings. West Manor Elementary closer to 285 has good ratings.
True, did you attend the Malcolm X Festival this weekend? I went both days, my favorite ATL Festival.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:20 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
On the three neighborhoods, I also think it depends on the perspective and what you are looking for.

I think that both West End and Westview are similar, which the comment below kind of made me giggle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
I know quite a few people who live in Westview who fit the description of both the West End folks and Cascade folks above.

And FWIW, many of the people described as living in West End actually are kind of poor (black conscious types, Hebrew Israelites, NOI, Pan African, etc.).

I think you find all those types of people all over Atlanta.

Also, I know that West End is not 90% black, I'd say about 75-80% black but not 90% just as a guesstimate.

In regards to my own view of each of the areas described.

West End - close to a train station, has a decent commercial area that is developing. Has lots of parks for young families and is easy for commuting to downtown if you work down town or in the vicinity

West View - not as close to a train station ( a negative IMO). Usually has some cheaper homes versus West End with similar architectural interest. Is close to West End. Is more of a residential area versus a mix IMO of residential and commercial, though there is some commercial on RDA but not as much as West End.

Cascade Heights - as mentioned above, has better schools so IMO would be a better place to buy due to resale being better for families. Also is more of a residential area and is like a suburb in the city IMO. As stated above, more Christian/family types. IMO Cascade probably is 90% (or close) black. Has larger yards than West End/Westview. No close transit options other than the bus (a negative IMO). Has more larger commercial outlets that people frequent more often (grocery stores, Walmart, Home Depot, Starbucks, as mentioned)

If I were looking for a home in Atlanta, I'd personally look toward Westview first because it is cheaper and IMO is basically an extension of West End. Mostly because I always worked downtown and needed to be closer to downtown.

If locations weren't an big deal, I'd go with Cascade due to the natural beauty of the area, close to the nature preserve and there are some small lakes in some of the neighborhoods (Niskey Lake comes to mind). There are also some nicer subdivisions that are newer if I wanted newer construction.

West End was actually my preferred neighborhood when I was looking for a home nearly 10 years ago, but that was back when too many sellers were trying to be too sheisty so I had to look outside the area. At that time, I was a student and could walk to the AUC from West End, which is the primary reason we wanted to buy there. Plus I knew quite a few people in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta