Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 11:34 AM

5 posts, read 3,458 times

Advertisements

It's a great house but I know it's not cheap. It's actually what it costs to run. Centrally located near Emory, VA and CDC.
I missed the rental season in April/early May and now it seems that even though the market is apparently tight, there are so many listings that it is easy to have yours buried if you aren't with an agent. I'm just starting so maybe I just need to be patient with the listing. In previous years, it rented within a week to the first person who saw it. Doesn't seem to be the case this year. I was told by an agent that people who can pay $3,000+ will just buy a house. Makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 12:53 PM

123 posts, read 152,936 times
Yeah, if I'm going to pay $3,000 towards a mortgage, it's going to mine, sure as hell not somebody else's. That's steep! I would think that you're having trouble renting because there are much more affordable rentals in the area you described. $3,000 a month to rent is a huge waste of money, I can't imagine why anyone would do that. Maybe you should consider dropping the price to even $2,500 if possible. I'm assuming you're trying to make a little extra though.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:06 PM

994 posts, read 1,541,027 times
Maybe do vacation rental or executive housing?

Old 05-25-2016, 01:09 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Just kind of wondering, what's the target market?

All I can think of is a resident that may want rent instead of buy because the program is only 3 years long....but I don't know any resident that can afford $3k a month.

Are you hoping to rent to visiting professors, or visiting physicians to the CDC or something like that?

Old 05-25-2016, 06:44 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricia43m4 View Post
It's a great house but I know it's not cheap. It's actually what it costs to run. Centrally located near Emory, VA and CDC.
I missed the rental season in April/early May and now it seems that even though the market is apparently tight, there are so many listings that it is easy to have yours buried if you aren't with an agent. I'm just starting so maybe I just need to be patient with the listing. In previous years, it rented within a week to the first person who saw it. Doesn't seem to be the case this year. I was told by an agent that people who can pay $3,000+ will just buy a house. Makes sense.
Your agent isn't totally right. We owned at one point, but rent now because we want the flexibility to pick up and leave if necessary. No, we don't rob banks, but my husband once had a horrible boss who helped us see that by renting, we could just walk away from the craziness if need be.

Is the house off exit 89 in Tucker?

Alley

Old 05-25-2016, 07:43 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
I could possibly see a family who's moving to town and doesn't know the area well and doesn't want to commit to buying before getting to know the area (but probably only for a year). Otherwise, the only other option I see is renting to a bunch of college students (like 6-8 of them), which you probably wouldn't want to do, I'm guessing.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:01 PM

272 posts, read 271,836 times
There is no place in Atlanta worth $3000 a month rental. Zero.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:19 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
There is no place in Atlanta worth $3000 a month rental. Zero.
This is simply not true. There are plenty of people moving to Atlanta from LA, SF, or NYC metro and are used to paying $3k or much more to rent a full house. People moving from those areas that want to rent for a while before buying, and want a large home with a yard in a desirable area won't skip a beat paying that amount. A nicely done SFH in Virginia Highland residential bulkhead, etc could rent for much more than that.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:50 AM

150 posts, read 152,281 times
Why not list it on airbnb.com and see what kind of reservations you get? If you're flexible enough to manage it that way - maybe you can make some good cash in the interim while looking for a full time tenant?

Old 05-26-2016, 04:28 AM

1,160 posts, read 713,062 times
We contemplated renting a house before purchasing and would have been in the market for a 3000 /month rental. Maybe you do need an agent who works with an agency that also works with corporate relocations? i think your customer base is thin so you'll just need to be patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta