Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 01:30 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,541,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
1. It happened last week.
When? The only attack last week was the Orlando Nightclub attack where that nut used a semi-automatic rifle. Was there another one that didn't get the media coverage Orlando did?
Quote:
2. Muskets were the weapon of the day.
Emphasis on weapon of the day. The weapon of the day today is different.
Quote:
Do you think any of them envisioned automatic weapons?
I'm sure they did since they existed. Do you think any of them envisioned the internet? Cellphones? Even telegraphs when the first amendment was written?
Quote:
Of course they were referring to citizens owning muskets.
At the time, but now muskets are obsolete.
Quote:
3. We shouldn't have to wait until possible terrorist murder a bunch of people before we take weapons out of their hands.
So for what other reasons do you want to ignore due process?
Quote:
Making terroristic threats
Then he should have been arrested.
Quote:
and even just suspicion of terrorism is enough to make weapons illegal for those people.
What other things should people just be suspected of in order to lose their rights? Do you even know what "due process" means?
Quote:
If they are on the no fly list then they can be on the no gun list too.
He wasn't on ANY list, the FBI removed him after they investigated. Even if you somehow bowl over that kind of draconian nonsense on the country, all the lists in the world won't do any good unless someone is actually on them. Still though, restriction of rights without due process IS ILLEGAL!
Quote:
5. It should be impossible to get automatic weapons - not just difficult. An automatic weapon was a problem a few days ago when a crazy prick killed/wounded over 100 people with one.
You keep referring to this other incident where an automatic weapon was used. WHAT, WHEN, AND WHERE WAS IT!?
Quote:
What possible uses does anyone have for them outside of war time?
Hunting, self-defense, varmint control. If I'm in my house, and an intruder breaks in, a rifle is far superior to a handgun, it aims better, has higher capacity in case there's more than one of them.
Quote:
I want them to be banned. Period.
I want a private jet. Period. Doesn't mean it's going to happen either.
Quote:
6. LOL! "criminals out of innocent Americans" is a weak statement. These are people suspected of terrorist activity and ties to terror groups, not innocent Americans.
Well what's the criteria for being suspected? What due process is there to put someone on those lists? What's to keep these lists from being used to quash political opinion? Since you're here on the Atlanta forum, arguing against guns, I'm going to assume you're pro-transit (right wingers are anti, left wingers are pro. right wingers are pro-gun, left wingers are anti-gun, that's just how things typically are). So since the right wingers think that transit brings crime, and are not averse to using the word "terrorize" in such discussions, how about some right wing politician putting pro-transit people on the terrorist watch list? Don't say it won't happen, unless there's oversight via due process, it can happen.
Quote:
It's not like they are being thrown in prison for no reason, but making it illegal to own firearms is a no-brainer.
See above, why do you want people getting their rights restricted for arbitrary reasons without due process?
Quote:
Exactly what are you offering to address the problem? All you did was attempt to disagree with everything I said rather than making any suggestions, but that's pretty typical of people with your stance. Maybe a situation like Orlando will touch you one day...then you may see things differently. I'm pretty sick of these mass killings and we need to try something.
The solution is to allow people to defend themselves. We need to be going forward, not backward as you want us to do. Maybe a situation like Orlando where people were unable to defend themselves will touch you one day...then you may see things differently. I'm pretty sick of these mass killings and we need to try something other than the same tired rhetoric and do-nothing responses that can't address the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 05:02 PM

12 posts, read 8,124 times
Quote:
I didn't say that personal motivation and responsibility is all someone needs, but it has to be part of it...and pushing the blame on other people or institutions is just getting very old. Some of the onus must be on each individual.

There are SO many programs provided by both the government and by private or pubic neighborhood associations or even churches that are available to everyone that wants to take advantage of them. To say that they are "very limited" and/or that people need to qualify is just false.
I have been working in some capacity in the nonprofit social advocacy field since 1992. I can assure you what I said is not false. There are many programs in all the sectors you said, true. But not enough. Same as there are many people who want to work and simply not enough jobs to employ all, even in the most menial of positions.

(My emphasis in the quote.)

Last edited by Jasir; 06-18-2016 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: Fact correction

Old 06-18-2016, 05:09 PM

12 posts, read 8,124 times
Quote:
Try going to a country that doesn't have these programs to help those in need and you will really see despair with no help in sight, many times other than those coming from the U.S.
I am. I am in Colombia now, volunteering. I have been volunteering here since 2014, living here now in the most dangerous city in Colombia, living right in the midst in an impoverished barrio for almost a year. I see the despair and I experienced the despair in my youth. So I respectfully disagree with you based on personal experience, professional experience, volunteer experience, and research.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:18 AM

787 posts, read 970,563 times
Quote:
All people should take responsibility for their actions unless they are mentally incapable of doing so. I absolutely hate to hear anyone say something like this...are we not strong or smart enough to take care of ourselves without blaming others for our issues? Black people around the world have gotten the short end of the stick in many situations, but we have enough opportunities in 2016 to stop passing the buck and take some personal responsibility.

I hope you weren't serious about this.
Take a look at the wealth gap in 2013 for whites it was $134K (it use to be way more), for Hispanics 15K, for blacks only $11K! So you are comparing the decisions and actions of black people to a group of people who make 12x more money. And that's not even counting how during slavery we strippen of our culture, language, and religion. So not only are black Americans broke and powerless, we don't have any culture (except the one given to us by our oppressor, which is self hate), or value system to fall back on, that's a recipient for destruction.
Not saying pooky them shouldn't be punished, I'm saying I know how this racist capitalist system works, it reliant on a poor underclass and therefore the Government will never take serious measures to help the poor become self sustaining individuals. People say you shouldn't depend on the Government, I agree but if people don't make enough money support your family youre more likey to turn to crime. I don't understand why so many Americans think poor people to pull themselves up by their bootstrap, sure a few do but you are an exception, 70% of people born poor will remain poor throughout their life.

Last edited by Larry X; 06-19-2016 at 02:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta