Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 02:29 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
The term "minority" for non-white people still makes sense, especially on a national scale. The USA is about 60% white, which is more than double the numbers of either hispanic or black people, which are the next 2 largest ethnicities.

Atlanta metropolitan area (which is a lot of counties) is about 55% white. And I think that number is dropping closer to 50%. When it dips below 50%, the metro will be majority-minority, but I believe the answer right now is, no, it isn't.

But even when the area is majority-minority, white people will still make up by far the largest group.
Let's just call ourselves white folks, African Americans, Hispanics, etc. Lots less confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 02:59 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Demographics change very quickly, as we've seen from the huge changes experienced in Metro Atlanta in recent years. It's really hard to predict the racial and ethnic makeup of such a large region years down the road. I expect that by 2020 it will be somewhat similar to what it is today, but like other metros around the country we are still seeing a large increase in Latino residents so who knows. Black and White folks could start having lots of babies in the future and take things the other way.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:14 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Demographics change very quickly, as we've seen from the huge changes experienced in Metro Atlanta in recent years. It's really hard to predict the racial and ethnic makeup of such a large region years down the road. I expect that by 2020 it will be somewhat similar to what it is today, but like other metros around the country we are still seeing a large increase in Latino residents so who knows. Black and White folks could start having lots of babies in the future and take things the other way.
How are Millennials doing on the baby front? I read a few years ago that they were not having that many babies but maybe they have turned it around.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:24 PM

630 posts, read 1,265,373 times
Quote:
Interestingly, after looking at the data from metro counties I found that the latino growth has really slowed down in a lot of areas or even decreased in places (like Dekalb). Asian growth is taking off though (Forsyth county now 10% Asian) and African Americans are spreading out a lot more into the suburbs.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
Interestingly, after looking at the data from metro counties I found that the latino growth has really slowed down in a lot of areas or even decreased in places (like Dekalb). Asian growth is taking off though (Forsyth county now 10% Asian) and African Americans are spreading out a lot more into the suburbs.

Exactly...I think Asians may become the Latinos of the future, growth-wise. Demographics can change on a dime.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How are Millennials doing on the baby front? I read a few years ago that they were not having that many babies but maybe they have turned it around.

I'm not sure...I can't stand Millennials. Just kidding, but I do get tired of hearing everything revolve around them. Anyway, aren't the oldest of them in their early 30s? I know many women (girls) are having babies very young, but the bulk of Millennials are just getting into traditional child-bearing years where they are starting families. I'm sure there is some research out there on this subject.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:31 PM

134 posts, read 185,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Interesting statement. You must have not matriculated at a very good college if all you learned was a small minded, short sighted bias along with an insular world view.

As poorly worded as this statement was, nick4242's post does illustrate a level of segregation in the Atlanta metro area that is not present in other large US cities of Atlantas size.

There are areas within the city that are ~90% caucasian (Morningside comes to mind) and it is very possible to exist in a small, frightened bubble.
Have you read this article about how "segregated" Atlanta is?

Chicago is 3rd-most segregated big city in US: report | WGN-TV

Old 07-06-2016, 01:38 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
Quote:
I'm not sure...I can't stand Millennials. Just kidding, but I do get tired of hearing everything revolve around them. Anyway, aren't the oldest of them in their early 30s? I know many women (girls) are having babies very young, but the bulk of Millennials are just getting into traditional child-bearing years where they are starting families. I'm sure there is some research out there on this subject.
i'm a millennial and it gets annoying; when someone says 'millennial' in the media they are almost never referring to me and anyone i know that are my age. they're talking about the trust fund kids and corporate ladder-climbers. maybe they look for those types of millennials because they're the only ones of us who worship money like the boomers did (anybody remember yuppies?), they can see something familiar in that. i think that's the only subsection of the millennial cohort that's going to continue along the old American dream path of getting married, having kids and moving to the suburbs.

a lot of millennials are realizing now that the whole social construct of the American Dream was a government-promoted one-size fits all lifestyle choice to maximize productivity with a proverbial carrot on the stick of personal home ownership. and that is quite frankly exhausting and fundamentally ageist in its conception; you've now got older residents living in these houses miles away from health care options, grocery stores, and even sidewalks, and they've still got plenty of life to live, but are forced into a sedentary lifestyle by the american dream they followed.

/rant

Old 07-06-2016, 04:58 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i'm a millennial and it gets annoying; when someone says 'millennial' in the media they are almost never referring to me and anyone i know that are my age. they're talking about the trust fund kids and corporate ladder-climbers. maybe they look for those types of millennials because they're the only ones of us who worship money like the boomers did (anybody remember yuppies?), they can see something familiar in that. i think that's the only subsection of the millennial cohort that's going to continue along the old American dream path of getting married, having kids and moving to the suburbs.

a lot of millennials are realizing now that the whole social construct of the American Dream was a government-promoted one-size fits all lifestyle choice to maximize productivity with a proverbial carrot on the stick of personal home ownership. and that is quite frankly exhausting and fundamentally ageist in its conception; you've now got older residents living in these houses miles away from health care options, grocery stores, and even sidewalks, and they've still got plenty of life to live, but are forced into a sedentary lifestyle by the american dream they followed.

/rant

Gen X is best.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:49 AM

994 posts, read 1,541,318 times
Most of the babies being born and toddlers today are non-white, so even if Atlanta is not there yet, it will be in 15-20 years. Plus, the world is "majority minority." People need to stop the tacit belief that white is the default.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta