Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 10:57 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Evidently it works on some but how can you tell?
Otis brand elevators have some funky button press functions that may work across many models.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 11:09 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I agree that we need more trees, but what does that have to do with the inadequate pedestrian crossing signals. I'm not gonna be any happier waiting in the shade than in the sun.
I would be.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:23 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I would be.
Sustained!!!

I didn't even read the history of this conversation, but I can assure you shade trumps no shade. I went downtown today and stepped outside the building to wait on my ride and thought I might die. It's one thing to be hot but another altogether to be broiled.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:50 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Sustained!!!

I didn't even read the history of this conversation, but I can assure you shade trumps no shade. I went downtown today and stepped outside the building to wait on my ride and thought I might die. It's one thing to be hot but another altogether to be broiled.
And yesterday wasn't even that hot.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:07 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,699,116 times
It happened again yesterday afternoon, as regards something that I wrote about here earlier.
On my way home I got to my closest intersection that has a push button activated signal crossing light & got there a split second too late to push the button but I walked across anyway because I know the signal length & I'm not going to stand there for 2 minutes for the next opportunity to cross the street on "walk".
As I got to the other side of the street, there was a young man there not paying attention but waiting to cross who I spoke to & said, "You won't get a walk signal here unless you engage the button."
In response he gave me sort of a bemused look & shrugged. If he had not had his head buried in his device, he would perhaps have been cognizant of the signal button or at least been able to cross when I had.
There is obviously a learning process for pedestrians that also involves them paying attention.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:29 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Sustained!!!

I had to remind myself to read "shade" as literal shade and not slang for "disrespect."

Old 08-16-2016, 04:00 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I had to remind myself to read "shade" as literal shade and not slang for "disrespect."

Lol I even felt funny using the literal meaning. Let's just say I would not have been upset with some retractable awnings or even some bedroom sheets propped up on sticks - any port in a storm.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:10 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times
Marietta Square area is another place where push buttons are just for decoration nowadays. There's a couple places on side-streets where they still work. Otherwise, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Yes, it's illegal, but if the roadway is clear, I cross. I'm not going to stand around for nothing, especially in the summer heat.
I've done it in front of policemen before (in Atlanta). Luckily they must have reached their quota for the month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta