Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 08:57 AM

477 posts, read 594,152 times

Advertisements

"Hey look, a thread about The Stitch!"

(reads latest)

"The Stitch goes all the way out to Avondale?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 10:29 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
What did everyone have for lunch today? I'm thinking either Willys or the salad smorgasbord at WF. What do you guys think I should get?

Old 04-24-2017, 10:33 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
Alright, I'll talk about The Stitch and directly related topics.

So, obviously, Peachtree-Pine shelter must close. That's one pre-requisite to the development of this area.

Capping the Connector between Spring St and Piedmont Ave, would be great. You could put a park on there, water features, ampitheatre for concerts and festivals, restaurants and shops, outdoor market/plaza, whatever. All kinds of possibilities. And it would all be integrated directly with MARTA station which already exists there.

And of course there would be a lot of TOD development projects along with it, including some towers, and building rehabs and whatever. And mid-rises. And also Alexander St would be connected to Peachtree St to the north, improving the grid. And Currier St would also extend to Peachtree. Whole thing would really stitch together Downtown/SoNo/Midtown.

Now, here's my suggestion, tie in Old Fourth Ward to the project. Redevelop the Civic Center property (which is in O4W) into something awesome. Fix/straighten the Peachtree St/Pine St intersection, and convert Pine St to a 2-way. Then give Pine St/Angier Ave protected and green colored bike lanes, all the way between the MARTA station and Historic 4W park and the east Beltline. Then develop/redevlop/gentrify along that whole corridor, at least as much as possible.

Then perhaps rename the Civic Center MARTA station to Old Fourth Ward (doubtful, but just a suggestion.)

And then convert this existing Emory deck into shared public (paid) MARTA parking:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7672...7i13312!8i6656

Just a thought, that would give in-towners a park&ride option to get to the airport or other destinations.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:36 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Alright, I'll talk about The Stitch and directly related topics.

So, obviously, Peachtree-Pine shelter must close. That's one pre-requisite to the development of this area.

Capping the Connector between Spring St and Piedmont Ave, would be great. You could put a park on there, water features, ampitheatre for concerts and festivals, restaurants and shops, outdoor market/plaza, whatever. All kinds of possibilities. And it would all be integrated directly with MARTA station which already exists there.

And of course there would be a lot of TOD development projects along with it, including some towers, and building rehabs and whatever. And mid-rises. And also Alexander St would be connected to Peachtree St to the north, improving the grid. And Currier St would also extend to Peachtree. Whole thing would really stitch together Downtown/SoNo/Midtown.

Now, here's my suggestion, tie in Old Fourth Ward to the project. Redevelop the Civic Center property (which is in O4W) into something awesome. Fix/straighten the Peachtree St/Pine St intersection, and convert Pine St to a 2-way. Then give Pine St/Angier Ave protected and green colored bike lanes, all the way between the MARTA station and Historic 4W park and the east Beltline. Then develop/redevlop/gentrify along that whole corridor, at least as much as possible.

Then perhaps rename the Civic Center MARTA station to Old Fourth Ward (doubtful, but just a suggestion.)

And then convert this existing Emory deck into shared public (paid) MARTA parking:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7672...7i13312!8i6656

Just a thought, that would give in-towners a park&ride option to get to the airport or other destinations.
Why would that station need parking? It's a very walkable area.
Honestly the ramp from NB Downtown Connector needs to be closed. There is no reason why speeding cars should be dumped onto Peachtree.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:42 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Why would that station need parking? It's a very walkable area.
Honestly the ramp from NB Downtown Connector needs to be closed. There is no reason why speeding cars should be dumped onto Peachtree.
I dunno, was just thinking there's not really any official park&rides for Midtown or surrounding neighborhoods.

Sometimes it's bad weather, or people just don't feel like walking or biking that day. Or maybe they physically can't walk or bike.

But I guess there is paid public parking decks around all of Midtown's and Downtown's MARTA stations (such as Colony Square, etc). So maybe that's good enough.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:11 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
How many more stations do you want to infill? The point of HRT is that it's fast, but every station stop costs time, especially when the stations are close enough that the trains can never get up to speed. <3/4 mile between platforms is what streetcar/dense LRT is designed for. What's the ROI here anyways? You're building on top of a rail yard and railroad line, on a very elevated structure so figure big bucks. How many people work in Avondale? Live in Avondale that could use the station? I live nearby, the answer to both is "not many," now how many of them could use transit? The answer is "even less." You're also only saving people about 1/2 mile of walking or riding a bus. Anyone who lives nearby is more prone to use the existing Avondale station and its park and ride facilities

I actually agree with you--we cannot have too many stations since it will hinder speed on the transit system. However, in the urban core+inside the perimeter I do think a few more infill stations are needed. And I think a new station at Avondale Estates's town center (and converting the current Avondale station to the Sycamore Station) would be just right.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:35 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,695,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I dunno, was just thinking there's not really any official park&rides for Midtown or surrounding neighborhoods.

Sometimes it's bad weather, or people just don't feel like walking or biking that day. Or maybe they physically can't walk or bike.

But I guess there is paid public parking decks around all of Midtown's and Downtown's MARTA stations (such as Colony Square, etc). So maybe that's good enough.

Last-mile connectivity via local buses, bus rapid transit, light rail transit, and streetcars should handle any need for this kind of thing, in addition to the local decks / lots that you mentioned.

I agree with Matt on this in general. We should be keeping heavy rail spacing pretty well as is inside the BeltLine, with a few exceptions for new interchange stations at the BeltLine. For everything else, we can use effective last-mile connections.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:37 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,695,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH82 View Post
"Hey look, a thread about The Stitch!"

(reads latest)

"The Stitch goes all the way out to Avondale?"
Well, it's just that we merged the Stitch, capping the connector, capping I-20, and some other greenways into the same project now!

Old 05-08-2017, 11:06 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I actually agree with you--we cannot have too many stations since it will hinder speed on the transit system. However, in the urban core+inside the perimeter I do think a few more infill stations are needed. And I think a new station at Avondale Estates's town center (and converting the current Avondale station to the Sycamore Station) would be just right.
If Avondale was serious about conecting it's business distrivt to MARTA, it could contract out to run a trolley-like bus.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:36 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
I like this, hopefully even if Amazon doesn't end up there these sort of conversations will help make bring the Stitch closer to reality. And of course even better if it does end up there. It is well placed right next to MARTA, future streetcar lines, Ga Tech, GSU, Midtown, Downtown.

Quote:
One big idea being considered [for Amazon's HQ2] is the Civic Center combined with “the Stitch” — a concept proposed last year by Central Atlanta Progress that would bridge the Downtown Connector and create a unique site directly connected to the Civic Center MARTA Station. Apparently efforts are being made to get commitments from state and local governments as well as companies and foundations to help pay for that big idea.
Business leaders go all out to help win Amazon’s HQ2 | Atlanta Business Chronicle (Paywall)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta