Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 02:43 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm not suggesting we police such statues. I'm expressing the opinion that they are insulting and obnoxious.

Whether they are "bullying" is a slightly different issue, and I agree that it depends on context.
Absolutely, and as I think you know -- but just in case -- my comment wasn't directed at you or your opinion of this particular form of expression. It was directed at the linked article suggesting it constituted "bullying."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 02:44 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Absolutely, and as I think you know -- but just in case -- my comment wasn't directed at you or your opinion of this particular form of expression. It was directed at the linked article suggesting it constituted "bullying."
Right, understood.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:54 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Shows us what the Moral Standards of the Leftists are.
Hi there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Atlanta's the city too busy to hate, even on Trump. That man's body isn't even in the top 10 most disgusting things about him. Instead of playing in the sewer with attacks on physical appearance, I'll remain focused on the many ways he is intellectually and emotionally unfit to serve as the leader of any government, much less as President of the United States.

I'm choosing to follow Michelle Obama's advice; "When they go low, we go high."
There you go. Moral standards from a leftist.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:57 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
Quote:
That'd be nice, but I have a viscerally negative reaction to people who want to police or nanny political expression. Elevated debate is great. Satire, caricature and mockery also have their place. I wouldn't personally make such a statue (or mural), but I'll gladly defend whoever did from charges of "bullying."

Punching down is bullying; punching up is righteous.
okay, here's why it's bullying. you're tying donald trump's awful, terrible viewpoints to a body type: implying that being overweight or being born intersex, makes you an *******. it's funny unless you're overweight, or born intersex. how do you think the 2% of the population who is intersex feel about the statue? or those who have been struggling with weight for years? the only reason you don't see it as bad is because our society says it's still okay to make fun of *those* types of people, whereas it wouldn't be funny to make fun of someone's physical appearance based on their race anymore, but it probably would have been funny to a lot of people 50 years ago. it's cruel and is exactly the type of body-shaming behaviour trump engages in.

also, let me make a point about freedom of speech and political correctness: i am not saying you should be locked up or censored for free speech; neither are 99% of the people who advocate what the alt-right calls 'the PC culture'. but you can't say and do things that are discriminatory and not expect any type of criticism for it; i have the right of free speech also, and expecting immunity from criticism is not being an advocate of free speech... it's asking for those that disagree with you to be censored. more orwellian logic from the far-right.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:36 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,599 times
I think Cameron's point is probably that bullying generally implies a power imbalance—a stronger or more powerful person using that advantage to hurt or intimidate a weaker person. That's not true for a billionaire who's one of our two major political parties' candidates for president. Saying it's bullying implies that the target needs to be protected. That's not the case here. It's not Donald Trump's feelings anyone's concerned about.

But bryantm3 is right—it's problematic because this kind of criticism based on physical appearance can end up harming (or bullying) a lot of unintended targets. Innocent people who aren't as powerful as Donald Trump, who see characteristics of their own body being mocked and ridiculed. I think this is what people are thinking of when they say it's bullying.

Just trying to spread a little peace, love, and understanding.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:39 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
yeah, definitely. i don't have a problem beating up on donald trump, it's when you drag all the other people under the bus along with him that i've got a problem with.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:07 AM

1,160 posts, read 713,249 times
More hate from the "tolerant" and "enlightened" left...

Old 08-23-2016, 07:16 AM

Yeah, only "the Left" would use such hateful and also really mean imagery to mock their political opposition.

Quote:
In the build-up to the American Revolution, literally hundreds of satirical caricatures of King George were published,. Those images were part of the new American press. They depicted King George as what he was, a moronic, obese ruler who cared about nothing with regard to the American colonies other than money. Those who drew them were deemed to be "traitors" and enemies. Satirical images have been used politically since politics existed.
Satirical Images and the American Revolution - Democratic Underground

Old 08-23-2016, 11:05 AM

643 posts, read 571,754 times
Quote:
Yeah, only "the Left" would use such hateful and also really mean imagery to mock their political opposition.

Satirical Images and the American Revolution - Democratic Underground
Sure this is within free speech, but it doesn't mean it is any less ignorant but tell yourself whatever you need to in order to make yourself feel better about supporting this.

If this was done to Hillary, how loud would you be screaming out in outrage?

'Oh the war on women!'

Old 08-23-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHonchoATL View Post
Sure this is within free speech, but it doesn't mean it is any less ignorant but tell yourself whatever you need to in order to make yourself feel better about supporting this.

If this was done to Hillary, how loud would you be screaming out in outrage?

'Oh the war on women!'
Quote:
No, it's something a satirist would do. Trump and Clinton are public figures. It's our god-given right to mock and ridicule them.

This tradition dates from at least the second century (look up "Juvenalian satire"). Puppets are timeless, but statues and murals are also fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: