Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 08:21 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magusat999 View Post
What your calling Suburban I'm calling rural. A house with a swimming pool in the backyard that has a fence, in a community of people who take care of their neighborhood is "Suburban" to me - a house, that might be nice, but has a backyard with no fence that leads to where Smokey the Bear lives, in an area that only has sidewalks where the houses are, is not "Suburban", I don't care how nice the area is - it's rural and countrified.
Whatever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 05:52 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times
Quote:
What your calling Suburban I'm calling rural. A house with a swimming pool in the backyard that has a fence, in a community of people who take care of their neighborhood is "Suburban" to me - a house, that might be nice, but has a backyard with no fence that leads to where Smokey the Bear lives, in an area that only has sidewalks where the houses are, is not "Suburban", I don't care how nice the area is - it's rural and countrified.
Your working definition doesn't make much sense when you take reality into account. However, even using your working definition the answer to your first question is no. The vast majority of areas within a 20 mile radius are very developed. Sewer lines, traffic lights, mass transit, etc... all the major trappings of modern developed populated towns and cities (though sidewalks are scarce in some of these areas).

There are areas with large tracts of undeveloped land within a 20 mile radius of the city, but almost none of these areas are easy to get to by just jumping on the highway, and few of them are left. The sprawl here is considerable. I would say that most 'rural' living is at least a 30 mile drive from the city.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:13 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Well there were reports of wolves in much of Northeast Atlanta a few years ago (Druid Hills, Virginia Highland, Morningside, etc) Perhaps everything even a block off of Peachtree Street is rural. How lovely: Atlanta, the best of the county AND the city ;0) Thank you Magusat999 for pointing out another wonder of Atlanta life.
We did have coyotes in Kirkwood last year.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:44 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I lived in midtown. We had racoons and coyotes.
I've seen opossums in Manhattan, and deer in DC. Wildlife has a way of not stopping when the concrete begins. In fact, urban areas can be more enticing for certain type of animals that scavenge like coyotes of foxes.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:28 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,982,315 times
To take a stab at the actual question:

Quote:
Is all the living outside of Atlanta rural (or close to it)? Are there any developed cities outside of Atlanta - places that actually have sidewalk and you don't live with the forest breathing down your neck? If so, are there affordable cities or do you have to pay a premium to live in a walkable city environment? I'm not talking all of Georgia - I mean at most a 20 mile radius around Atlanta Metro.
This is the confusing part. Do you mean outside of the City of Atlanta but within the Atlanta metro, or outside of the developed part of the metro, or outside of the actual defined limits of the metro area?

Since the Atlanta metro area is massive, the distinction is important. Do you want an "urban lifestyle" in the Atlanta suburbs (rural as you call them), or outside of the Atlanta suburbs?

Either way, it's gonna be slim pickins. Decatur Square is the best best outside of the city proper, with a metro station and thriving downtown area, but it's basically universally thought to be "in the city".

Outside of the perimeter, I would say Marietta Square (as others have suggested), but it's far sleepier than a real urban environment. It has more of a busy-small-town feel if that makes sense. In the rest of metro Atlanta, the historic railroad downtowns mainly function as commercial nodes for dining and leisure rather than bonafide urban areas.

Athens, which strictly meets the "within 20 miles of metro Atlanta" definition these days, is the safest bet for an actual urban experience not in Atlanta. It's a 70 mile haul from downtown--not exactly close. But there's a good 50 miles worth of suburbs between the two, and the exurbs spread all the way from city to city these days.

Welcome to the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta