Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 12:16 PM

4,249 posts, read 4,765,913 times

Advertisements

Lived in ATL for about 14 years...I moved from there in 2012 to Chicago. My current job has the potential of me working remotely. So I naturally just assumed I'd move back to ATL.

However, I've been priced out of the area I used to live in by Emory...the rents are so high there that I wonder if I would come out paying the same price in ATL as in Chicago. Yes, in Chicago the rents are a little higher, but in ATL the rents have gone up so much in the past 4 years...although it's not quite as high as Chicago, I'd still have to purchase a vehicle (I don't own a car in Chicago).

What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 12:22 PM

8,488 posts, read 15,025,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post

What gives?
High demand, lack of supply.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:28 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,286,792 times
Because they can charge whatever for the best ITP locations, and people will pay it. Especially if it's a nice apartment.

I think Atlanta used to be kind of a secret. That's why rent was so relatively low for so long. Now, everybody knows about Atlanta. And, the city just keeps on getting better, and adding a lot of good jobs as well.

Rent should probably flatten at some point, after all these tons and tons of under construction apartments are open. But, it will probably never go down.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:32 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,760,629 times
You know that there are plenty of areas OTP that are not expensive right? You know Emory is higher because its near Emory right? ?

People act like Midtown, Inman Park. Emory,etc are the only places to live in Atlanta.

If you work from home and want cheaper rent live in Smyrna, Marietta, Vinings, Sandy Springs, Tucker, the southside, etc. Anywhere near 285. Now im not talking about new upscale apartments. I recommend Promove because they will give you all the apartments that arent new and upscale

Last edited by fieldm; 08-28-2016 at 12:44 PM..

Old 08-28-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
You know that there are plenty of areas OTP that are not expensive right? You know Emory is higher because its near Emory right? ?

People act like Midtown, Inman Park. Emory,etc are the only places to live in Atlanta.

If you work from home and want cheaper rent live in Smyrna, Marietta, Vinings, Sandy Springs, etc. Anywhere near 285. Now im not talking about new upscale apartments.
Well of course I know that.

I worked at Emory for nearly a decade so living close to there in a place like Atlanta was an obvious good choice considering how horrible traffic is in Atl. Especially since I was only paying in the 600s at the time.

Yes I do realize I can look at other areas but when I left I thought I'd be coming back to the area I used to live in since I left paying in the mid 600s in rent but now that same old mediocre apartment is going for close to $1k.

As far as the south side though...been there...done that, no way I'm going back there.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Because they can charge whatever for the best ITP locations, and people will pay it. Especially if it's a nice apartment.

I think Atlanta used to be kind of a secret. That's why rent was so relatively low for so long. Now, everybody knows about Atlanta. And, the city just keeps on getting better, and adding a lot of good jobs as well.

Rent should probably flatten at some point, after all these tons and tons of under construction apartments are open. But, it will probably never go down.
I guess I'm just wondering how everyone is affording the skyrocketing rent prices...I guess many people are being forced to move further out is my guess. Atl may be adding new jobs but I don't see peoples' salaries keeping up with the rents there (I'm speaking of myself and those people I know personally).

Old 08-28-2016, 01:05 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,324,255 times
Quote:
I guess I'm just wondering how everyone is affording the skyrocketing rent prices...I guess many people are being forced to move further out is my guess. Atl may be adding new jobs but I don't see peoples' salaries keeping up with the rents there (I'm speaking of myself and those people I know personally).
The new people moving in are from the Northeast mainly and used to higher rent. Also salaries are rising and Atlanta is adding more high paying tech and business jobs. Demand is there, so the price point is going up.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:05 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,760,629 times
Quote:
Well of course I know that.

I worked at Emory for nearly a decade so living close to there in a place like Atlanta was an obvious good choice considering how horrible traffic is in Atl. Especially since I was only paying in the 600s at the time.

Yes I do realize I can look at other areas but when I left I thought I'd be coming back to the area I used to live in since I left paying in the mid 600s in rent but now that same old mediocre apartment is going for close to $1k.

As far as the south side though...been there...done that, no way I'm going back there.
When you left Atlanta we were still in a recession so things were cheaper. Things are still cheap but not in high demand areas such as Emory, Midtown, Atlantic Station, etc.

If you want to stay in that general area try out around the N Dekalb Mall, Clairmont Rd (West of 85), Northlake area, etc.

I would recommend apartments in Smyrna off Akers Mill rd, apartments off Cumberland Parkway in Vinings, Atlanta Rd/S Cobb Dr outside of 285, etc. Good luck

How much you want to pay per month? How many bedrooms you want?

Old 08-28-2016, 02:55 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,828,683 times
There's a lot of new construction in progress. I think the older places are getting all they an while they can. It won't be long before they cannot compete So the prices for the will drop. Just got to wait it out.

Also, the demand for being in town is trendy right now so demand is very high. It's not as high with families but with young singles. It's difficult to outspend someone who has absolute control of how much is left to be considered disposable income.

I remember in the early 2000s when they were almost giving houses away and rentals I had liked for a while we're dropping by $300 - $500 per month. This is a little similar and just requires patience.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
When you left Atlanta we were still in a recession so things were cheaper. Things are still cheap but not in high demand areas such as Emory, Midtown, Atlantic Station, etc.

If you want to stay in that general area try out around the N Dekalb Mall, Clairmont Rd (West of 85), Northlake area, etc.

I would recommend apartments in Smyrna off Akers Mill rd, apartments off Cumberland Parkway in Vinings, Atlanta Rd/S Cobb Dr outside of 285, etc. Good luck

How much you want to pay per month? How many bedrooms you want?
Ideally no more than $1k and I'm good with a one bedroom. I could pay more but the point is to move back and spend less on things such as rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta