Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 06:39 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'll be glad to modify my observation, fourthwarden. As soon as we see the city offering billions in financial support for projects in this area, like it does for Midtown.

Unfortunately the city has allowed this area to languish for half a century so there's a lot of catching up to do. I guess we'll see.
Maybe the city is willing to give money to developers to open things there...but they just don't want to. Why open something in a blighted area that no one would want to visit or work in? Sometimes you have to follow the interest. New York gives tons of money for Manhattan projects because that's where people want to build. Can't force then to build in the ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 07:40 PM

153 posts, read 164,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Bankhead isn't dangerous. If you think Bankhead is dangerous I'd hope you never step foot in East Cleveland or South Chicago, or parts of New Jersey.
The OP did not mention crime. I'm sure you like to argue northern crime over Atlanta's. In threads to try here? Not a vs. crime thread.

But still Atlanta can do what Chicago did on its Parts of its Southside that had blight from past decades of Radical Racial change from Southern African-Americans moving in mass to Northern industrial cities. Then White-Flight came and de-industrialization to firms moving to Suburbs to Japan, Taiwan and then China.

60s Racial strife was bad. Riots and then blight, neglect, absentee landlords lost retail and businesses etc. With many High-rise Housing Projects that Failed Big Time. Chicago then chose in the 90s and onward to TOTALLY REMOVE THIS TOTAL BLIGHT AND ABANDONMENT. Leveling homes, housing complexes and businesses. Returning the property to Grass Lots with trees left if it had some. Some housing complexes as the OP's streetviews also and taking over ownership I suppose. The Huge High-rise FAILED Housing projects 50s 60s are ALL GONE TODAY. They took the longest over a couple decades. The LAST one about 5 years go.

Though not getting gentrification much yet as most are closer to downtown Chicago and Oldest Dense stock of housing. It will eventually come. These areas still loose the bulk of the population the census shows. So that then is WHAT ATLANTA CAN DO AS A ANSWER TILL RE-DEVELOMENT COMES. Today in Chicago still in these nighbrhoôds even with most of its housing intact. If a property gets abandoned and then condemned by the city? It gets the SCOURGE OF THE RED X and boarded up.

A Southside predominately African-American neighborhood of North Lawndale. Some parts have lost removed housing, but most has blocks intact though my have seen better days.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8534...7i13312!8i6656

A house down the block with the RED X the city put on it and boarded it up and tree removed.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8534...7i13312!8i6656

Another
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8566...7i13312!8i6656

Same neighborhood area of lost housing.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8643...7i13312!8i6656

This neighborhood is/was full of the OLD CHICAGO GREYSTONE HOUSING. Some lost same more elaborate then others. Many are lovely old styles of a era. These neighborhoods were not poor at one time. I morn the lost ones that were built with quality for a urban city that did not need to be NYC.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8553...7i13312!8i6656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Maybe the city is willing to give money to developers to open things there...but they just don't want to. Why open something in a blighted area that no one would want to visit or work in? Sometimes you have to follow the interest. New York gives tons of money for Manhattan projects because that's where people want to build. Can't force then to build in the ghetto.
Manhattan does have Harlem virtually all gentrified and Brooklyn is fast going there, and Manhattan, Brooklyn and the Bronx are ALL ONE NYC. They are just different Boroughs with neighborhoods, just to a degree different. A city like Chicago has Precincts that go past neighborhoods. But even neighborhoods are to a degree separate in ONE CITY.

My point for the thread is still the city can take control on defaulted in taxes on and abandoned. But too bad cities can't FIX ALL THESE OTHER ISSUES INCLUDING CRIME AND BROKEN FAMILIES, DRUGS GANGS AND POVERTY DESPITE AID.

Last edited by UScityUrbanCores; 12-12-2016 at 07:48 PM..

Old 12-13-2016, 08:29 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,529,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Bankhead isn't dangerous. If you think Bankhead is dangerous I'd hope you never step foot in East Cleveland or South Chicago, or parts of New Jersey.

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ated-home.html

You were saying?

Old 12-13-2016, 09:55 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,852,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
I stand corrected. The old virtually defunct Atlantic Steel Mill with contaminated soil was there before Atlantic Station. Are you saying that is just as good? Techwood Homes was replaced with Centennial Place. It is a great improvement in both scenarios in my opinion.

It seems like your point is that the bad areas on the Westside will never, ever, change... ever. But these are two of MANY examples of just that.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I stand corrected. The old virtually defunct Atlantic Steel Mill with contaminated soil was there before Atlantic Station. Are you saying that is just as good? Techwood Homes was replaced with Centennial Place. It is a great improvement in both scenarios in my opinion.

It seems like your point is that the bad areas on the Westside will never, ever, change... ever. But these are two of MANY examples of just that.
Well my point is historically THE Westside has no anchor to the west. Humorously enough you mentioned that lake pit, which is something I discovered by accident when browsing google maps. Im kinda a map nerd. Its just too many hoods on the The Westside. The Eastside and Southsides are pretty bad too, but I feel the west has the least potential. From the rail yards, to Six Flags to all the landfills. It just seems the westside is destined to be the dump of the metro. Id love for Bankhead marta station to get many TODs. Im a fan of the westside stops getting development. Sadly many would rather have commuter rail to come to their suburbs vs filling in the dead zones of H E Holmes, Bankhead, Westlake, Ashby and Vine City. In their words not mine. "THERE IS NO DEMAND"

Old 12-13-2016, 11:15 AM

A few more examples...

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7660.../data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7643.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old 12-13-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Well my point is historically THE Westside has no anchor to the west. Humorously enough you mentioned that lake pit, which is something I discovered by accident when browsing google maps. Im kinda a map nerd. Its just too many hoods on the The Westside. The Eastside and Southsides are pretty bad too, but I feel the west has the least potential. From the rail yards, to Six Flags to all the landfills. It just seems the westside is destined to be the dump of the metro. Id love for Bankhead marta station to get many TODs. Im a fan of the westside stops getting development. Sadly many would rather have commuter rail to come to their suburbs vs filling in the dead zones of H E Holmes, Bankhead, Westlake, Ashby and Vine City. In their words not mine. "THERE IS NO DEMAND"
Yet. But you don't think there would be demand after the Westside Trail is complete and this Bellwood Quary is under way? I assume that a day would come when someone will come in and demolish all these complexes and make them something better. Maybe even just houses or townhomes (similar to what they are doing in Mechanicsville, which some have written off as unsalvagable in the past). But now with GSU buying Turner Field, that is changing.

Edgewood Courts is still a huge section 8 housing complex on the eastside, but just outside the gates are $400+ homes. You don't think demand will ever come between W. Lake Ave. and Northside Dr.? In not necessarily against the homes or the poorer residents, I'm just referring to abject blight -- street after street of sprwaling, crumbling, abandoned housing projects and empty dilapidated buildings all nestled within residential neighborhoods.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:44 AM

down right depressing

Old 12-13-2016, 12:17 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,362,539 times
Quote:
Yet. But you don't think there would be demand after the Westside Trail is complete and this Bellwood Quary is under way? I assume that a day would come when someone will come in and demolish all these complexes and make them something better.
I guess it remains to be seen, but I just don't see major development spurring that far south on the Westside, even with the trail. I think south of Joseph E. Boone will be one of the last areas to turn around.

But I think more development will be happening north of the park. West Highlands if the start, and it'll go up Marietta Blvd. towards where several mixed use projects are being started right now.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Yet. But you don't think there would be demand after the Westside Trail is complete and this Bellwood Quary is under way? I assume that a day would come when someone will come in and demolish all these complexes and make them something better. Maybe even just houses or townhomes (similar to what they are doing in Mechanicsville, which some have written off as unsalvagable in the past). But now with GSU buying Turner Field, that is changing.

Edgewood Courts is still a huge section 8 housing complex on the eastside, but just outside the gates are $400+ homes. You don't think demand will ever come between W. Lake Ave. and Northside Dr.? In not necessarily against the homes or the poorer residents, I'm just referring to abject blight -- street after street of sprwaling, crumbling, abandoned housing projects and empty dilapidated buildings all nestled within residential neighborhoods.
You have a lot of faith man. Keep up the good fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta