Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 09:26 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
MARTA said it’s open to re-branding as “The ATL.”

https://www.wabe.org/chairman-says-m...n-calling-atl/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 09:32 AM
bu2

24,104 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Don't be fooled, the State is only interested in the "ATL" and what is symbolizes to the Nation and world. The State ultimate goal is still political control, as the State don't have any other choice but to inadvertently admit that Atlanta is the engine that keeps Georgia going. As a result, the the pimping of "ATL" name-brand.

I also think politicians are realizing that OTP is pretty much screwed, as ITP communities will continue to attract corporate relocations and grow in political and economic power organically. Furthermore, it is absolutely nothing that ATL haters can do about it, but align, and support the root (Atlanta) that feeds the State. The State should remember that a lot of us remember how they always tried to throw Atlanta under the bus, because it was politically the popular thing to do. However, ATL can now shout aloud, how you like me now, as you try to court me again, after dumping me years ago.

Henceforth, I don't think the State have the grit or guts to go through with comprehensive transit. I see things two things happening in the future, once this bill stalls. I see a push for City of Atlanta excluding itself from OTP communities when recruiting new business by promoting transit only ITP areas. I also thin it will be Marta expansion beyond North Springs and Indian Creek Marta stations, which is well within its means, since Marta is already supported by Fulton and DeKalb Counties residents. This will be the final push that will probably turn the political power in the 2022 Governor election.
The highest % of job growth and greatest % population growth continues to be OTP, no matter how much you repeat urban legend.

All that has happened is that the inner core isn't turning into an abandoned jobless dump with only government and law firms. Its actually growing again. But not as fast as the areas OTP.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:34 AM

1,180 posts, read 984,482 times
So do the citizens within the current MARTA jurisdiction get to vote as to whether we now become a part of "The ATL"?

Old 02-07-2018, 09:56 AM
bu2

24,104 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
So do the citizens within the current MARTA jurisdiction get to vote as to whether we now become a part of "The ATL"?
The ATL governing board is basically the same as MARTA. It only changes if more counties join.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:26 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Chairman Ashe is on board with it:

Chairman Says MARTA Is Open To Calling Itself ‘The ATL’

Quote:
MARTA said it’s open to re-branding as “The ATL.”

It’s an idea introduced by Sen. Brandon Beach, the main sponsor of a bill introduced this week to create a regional transit system. It would include MARTA as the main operator and have a governing board called the Atlanta-Region Transit Link “ATL” Commission.

“Everybody knows there’s some places in the metro-Atlanta region where the MARTA name still has some historic baggage and there are also some parts where it’s a valuable brand,” MARTA Chairman Robbie Ashe said. “Working through how we best deliver transit and what we call those buses is certainly an important part of the conversation. At the end of the day, the name on the side of the bus isn’t the most important thing.”

Cobb County has opposed MARTA expansion multiple times.

So far, the commission would include the city of Atlanta, DeKalb, Fulton and Clayton counties, where MARTA currently operates. Other jurisdictions can join if their voters approve referendums to adopt a one penny sales taxes to fund MARTA expansion.
He's just being honest and real about it. If the only thing they need to do is slap a different livery on the vehicle, and in turn they can finally become a truly regional and comprehensive transit operator for the whole metro area, not a huge loss.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:28 AM

Not sure what "Cobb County has opposed MARTA expansion multiple times" means, though. When was this?

Maybe confusing Cobb with Gwinnett?

Old 02-07-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
Nope. Your representatives on the ATL board and on the MARTA board (and MARTA's leadership) should have a say in it, though.

Basically, from what I can tell, this is how it's looking right now (possibly subject to change):

-MARTA as an agency will stay the same, and will still be called MARTA. Same board, same people, same everything. I presume its logo and etc will not change.

-All existing, and future public transit within the 13-county area, including all of MARTA's trains and buses, and GRTA's, CCT/CobbLinc, GCT, etc, will all be re-branded together as one unified ATL transit system (with I assume increased coordination also), regardless of operator(s). Re-branding of the product itself, and all the front-facing anything. The entire end user experience of it, I'm presuming. Would become ATL.

-All of these metro counties will now have the legal ability to raise long-term 1% sales taxes for transit if/when they choose to, that would be eligible for federal funding and etc. But they have to agree to let MARTA operate it, as a contractor, replacing their existing contractors/whatever county agencies. So they would not have to join MARTA to get MARTA.

-MARTA would operate the regional transit system. ATL would be the planning and governance side.

-I guess GRTA will still operate Xpress in all 13 counties (which will probably now be called ATL Xpress), but it will look the same as MARTA-operated transit, and all function as part of the same system. Same thing with Cobb and Gwinnett's existing transit- it will be one system with Fulton/DeKalb regardless, but in order for more and better transit they'd have to pass a sales tax, in which MARTA would take over operations side.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:17 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
-MARTA as an agency will stay the same, and will still be called MARTA. Same board, same people, same everything. I presume its logo and etc will not change.

-All existing, and future public transit within the 13-county area, including all of MARTA's trains and buses, and GRTA's, CCT/CobbLinc, GCT, etc, will all be re-branded together as one unified ATL transit system (with I assume increased coordination also), regardless of operator(s). Re-branding of the product itself, and all the front-facing anything. The entire end user experience of it, I'm presuming. Would become ATL.
Did you just contradict yourself? In the first line you talk about the logo, etc, not changing. Then on the next line you say all MARTA trains and buses will be rebranded. What logo, etc. is staying the same?

Old 02-07-2018, 11:20 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Hummm, it's great to finally see this happening and the state finally taking notice that Transit is important to a Metro area the size of Atlanta, out of all these years the State has stalled Transit and never once cared 2 cents for it and making individual counties fend for them selves on that note.. The ATL name is my irritant in all of this though, but hopefully it will be a different name. Idk though, Still smelling a rat in all of this, seems to me the chance that Atlanta could possibly lose this Amazon deal has been the biggest wake up with this Transit Unification thing, as though the Republicans and the State of Georgia have all of a sudden Woke up realize the Great Glory of Transit!!! Interesting if you ask me.. The things they won't do for money, even change a political view of how they see things...Interesting to say the least

Old 02-07-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Did you just contradict yourself? In the first line you talk about the logo, etc, not changing. Then on the next line you say all MARTA trains and buses will be rebranded. What logo, etc. is staying the same?
I didn't contradict myself. MARTA will be the operator. MARTA will stay the same.

The transit that they operate will no longer be branded MARTA. It will be branded ATL. That's the product itself.

But I'm sure if you look hard enough you will still see some MARTA logos in a small font down at the bottom corner or something. Since MARTA will still be the operator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta