Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 07:58 PM

108 posts, read 285,958 times

Advertisements

Hello, all.

I'm moving to Downtown Decatur. Atlanta is where I primarily grew up (outside of the perimeter in a suburb) before living in the northeast, but now I'm coming back. After making rounds to both Midtown and Buckhead, I fell in love with the area. I've researched the area quite a bit, but I was recently told by some relatives that it's not exactly the safest. How unsafe are we talking here? Could I walk my dog out in the early evenings/mornings? Decatur Marta station is just a few blocks from where I'm moving. I see young children walking around all the time to go to school.

So, what do you ATL natives think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 08:05 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,534,071 times
Downtown Decatur is fine. You should never lose situational awareness anywhere, but avoid the dark alleys (like any place) and you'll be just fine that close in. There are some places with Decatur addresses that can be a bit sketchy at times, but if you're a few blocks from downtown, that doesn't apply.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:24 PM

Great, I didn't think it was dangerous. It might also be my family is the definition of paranoid. What are the more sketchy places that I should be aware of?

Old 12-14-2016, 08:57 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNative View Post
Great, I didn't think it was dangerous. It might also be my family is the definition of paranoid. What are the more sketchy places that I should be aware of?
Whoever told you this is crazy. Downtown Decatur is one of the safest most affluent areas in the Atlanta metro. I've walked around Decatur square at midnight and there were still families with children sitting outside having ice cream. Homes near that area go for a fortune.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Whoever told you this is crazy. Downtown Decatur is one of the safest most affluent areas in the Atlanta metro. I've walked around Decatur square at midnight and there were still families with children sitting outside having ice cream. Homes near that area go for a fortune.
Ah, okay. Glad to hear it's pretty safe. Plan on taking many walks.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:41 AM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times
I lived in downtown Decatur for years (Oakland Ave in the Great Lakes neighborhood), and never had a problem. I also felt perfectly comfortable with my (then) teenaged daughter wandering the downtown area with her friends. One of Decatur's many assets is its' police department.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I lived in downtown Decatur for years (Oakland Ave in the Great Lakes neighborhood), and never had a problem. I also felt perfectly comfortable with my (then) teenaged daughter wandering the downtown area with her friends. One of Decatur's many assets is its' police department.
That's good to know. I was never worried in the first place. I've lived in sketchier neighborhoods in Connecticut. I'm excited about finally living in the perimeter.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:23 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,903,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNative View Post
That's good to know. I was never worried in the first place. I've lived in sketchier neighborhoods in Connecticut. I'm excited about finally living in the perimeter.
You're getting a rosy colored view. Downtown Decatur is not "sketchy." But you definitely have to be aware. A couple of years ago there were a mass of armed robberies in downtown Decatur with people stealing cell phones. There was a murder about 10 pm one weekend, someone just walking to her car. My wife actually knew her. If you are walking at night, be alert. Stay around other people or well lit areas. I try not to be there after about 9 pm or so with my family as the crowds thin out and there tend to be a few "sketchy" people around.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:36 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,632,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I try not to be there after about 9 pm or so with my family as the crowds thin out and there tend to be a few "sketchy" people around.
o_O

Really?

Old 12-15-2016, 09:58 AM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
You're getting a rosy colored view. Downtown Decatur is not "sketchy." But you definitely have to be aware. A couple of years ago there were a mass of armed robberies in downtown Decatur with people stealing cell phones. There was a murder about 10 pm one weekend, someone just walking to her car. My wife actually knew her. If you are walking at night, be alert. Stay around other people or well lit areas. I try not to be there after about 9 pm or so with my family as the crowds thin out and there tend to be a few "sketchy" people around.
As a resident, that was never my experience. In fact, that time period was when the police presence downtown was at its' most palpable.
The woman who was shot was a total fluke. The shooter had been driving all over the metro seeking victims (his other two were found over in Atlanta); he just happened to land in Decatur. It certainly doesn't make it a nest for such activity.
Cell phone theft? Like that doesn't happen all over the metro? You'll have to come with a better example than that to build a case against Decatur.
Bottom line is, I would have felt more at ease walking in Decatur at 10pm than I would have when I lived in suburban Sagamore Hills or North Buckhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta