Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 02:09 PM

7,583 posts, read 10,831,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
"Basket of deplorables" ring a bell? Trump is hardly the only one who is impolite and lacks respect for others. And all the nasty language they used about Trump, you can find examples of the Democrats saying the same thing about Romney, McCain and both Bushes.

You can even read it on the "non-political" section here with the stereotyping of anybody who doesn't tow the Democratic line.
To an extent you have a point, but to an extent you're off base and it shows how Trump and Republicans were out to twist words and paint Clinton in an unfair light.

They succeeded in a campaign to sell the idea that Clinton was calling Trump and all his supporters deplorable.

She was, legitly, criticizing Trump for taking advantage of support from people who were overtly secists, islamaphobic, racists, homophobic, etc... and it was strumming up problems from people. That was a reality too. Some people at parts of this election were being really ugly and Trump was encouraging them, not stopping them. There is a reason white supremacist hate groups were coming out for Trump and Trump didn't seem to care.

When she made that quote she did mix up here words. Her speech was trying to say there were two baskets of supporters: one good and one bad and her actual quote even said herself she was being 'grossly generalistic.'

Her original intention was to actually draw attention to the good people caught up in the bad too.

Transcript: Clinton's full remarks as she called half of Trump supporters 'deplorables' - LA Times

But no... I have no problem with calling people who are overtly islamaphobic, homophobic, sexist, racist, xenophobic and are strumming up social problems in our society deplorable. While Clinton should have been more careful with the phrase she used, it was clear what the complete context of her comments were.

When we look at Commissioner Hunter, in comparison, it was clear what the entire context of his comment was. He had no other point that would misconstrue what he was saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 02:09 PM

10,741 posts, read 13,462,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
"Basket of deplorables" ring a bell? Trump is hardly the only one who is impolite and lacks respect for others. And all the nasty language they used about Trump, you can find examples of the Democrats saying the same thing about Romney, McCain and both Bushes.

You can even read it on the "non-political" section here with the stereotyping of anybody who doesn't tow the Democratic line.
bu2, I agree with you. But Mr. Trump is soon to be our president. Our PRESIDENT. That office leads the free world. So, no. There is absolutely no excuse for his demeanor. Does not matter what other folks have said and done no matter their political leanings. There is still no excuse. None whatsoever.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:23 PM

32,050 posts, read 36,975,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
bu2, I agree with you. But Mr. Trump is soon to be our president. Our PRESIDENT. That office leads the free world. So, no. There is absolutely no excuse for his demeanor. Does not matter what other folks have said and done no matter their political leanings. There is still no excuse. None whatsoever.
Exactly. At some point you just suck it up and assume the dignity of the office. It's ridiculous for the leader of the free world to be engaging in adolescent Twitter battles with actresses, the SNL cast, our own CIA, reporters and everybody else he feels has stepped on his widdle toesies.

For Pete's sake, man up and be the president!

Old 01-17-2017, 02:33 PM

10,741 posts, read 13,462,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Exactly. At some point you just suck it up and assume the dignity of the office. It's ridiculous for the leader of the free world to be engaging in adolescent Twitter battles with actresses, the SNL cast, our own CIA, reporters and everybody else he feels has stepped on his widdle toesies.

Yep. For as much as I cringe at his words and at his Tweets, I do hope that once in office he will show a bit of decorum. And, while I did not vote for him, I do hope that he has a wonderfully successful presidency and that the country, which is already great, will be even better. As I did with all of my Republican friends who called President Obama so many ugly things, I will tell all of my Democrat friends who might do the same thing that they are out of line.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:10 PM

32,050 posts, read 36,975,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Yep. For as much as I cringe at his words and at his Tweets, I do hope that once in office he will show a bit of decorum. And, while I did not vote for him, I do hope that he has a wonderfully successful presidency and that the country, which is already great, will be even better. As I did with all of my Republican friends who called President Obama so many ugly things, I will tell all of my Democrat friends who might do the same thing that they are out of line.
I completely agree, Ansley.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:43 PM

937 posts, read 931,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
John Lewis was in the wrong. People start fights and think the fight will go their way. The things Lewis said didnt need to be said, he should have just left that fight alone. Stop telling the world your intentions and just do what you were going to do.
Nah.

More people in higher positions need to stand up to Trump and be aware that plenty of people back the theory of Trump being a 70-year old man child and who's presidency will forever be tainted by the theories of foreign interference in US elections... It should be. His actions are an encroachment on US sovereignity and contradictory to his own views on NATO.

Maybe Trump going through dementia.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:00 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,153,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
Nah.

More people in higher positions need to stand up to Trump and be aware that plenty of people back the theory of Trump being a 70-year old man child and who's presidency will forever be tainted by the theories of foreign interference in US elections... It should be. His actions are an encroachment on US sovereignity and contradictory to his own views on NATO.

Maybe Trump going through dementia.
Was it the election itself (i.e. screwing up votes) that was interfered with or DNC emails?

Old 01-17-2017, 05:02 PM

13,704 posts, read 22,029,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

He is incapable of doing that. Trump is the most emotionally insecure and vulnerable person to occupy the White House since Nixon, and we know how that turned out.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:12 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,742,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Oh cool.... so all you have to do to justify lying and staying stupid **** on the global stage is to say you were trying to get a rise out of people....

I fear he might ruin respect for the institution of the presidency beyond that of Nixon....
Pretty much.

If you missed the video of his statement

Gwinnett commissioner won't resign after 'racist' Facebook comments | WAGA

FF to around 1:12

Old 01-17-2017, 08:36 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,634,409 times
I watched the live footage of the Gwinnett County Board of Commissioners' meeting on Tuesday afternoon....Interesting meeting to say the least.

Gwinnett County Commissioner Tommy Hunter probably said what he did about Congressman John Lewis because he likely felt inspired by President-elect Donald Trump's electoral victory that resulted from a successful strategy of doing and saying controversial actions and statements using both social and traditional media.

The problem for Commissioner Hunter is that he is not an established high-profile media celebrity and wealthy real estate magnate like Donald Trump was before he ran for president. Commissioner Hunter is a low-level elected local official in a municipal government post who does not have anywhere near the same type of financial resources and security apparatus as President-elect Donald Trump.

Because of his status as a media celebrity and as a wealthy real estate magnate with a large protective apparatus around him, Donald Trump does not necessarily always have to answer for his controversial statements and actions and has even been able to benefit from them to the point of being elected to the presidency.

But Gwinnett County Commissioner Tommy Hunter as a low-level elected local official in a municipal government post has no such celebrity-fueled protective apparatus around him and is quite exposed to the consequences of posting highly-controversial and provocative statements on social media platforms like Facebook...a Facebook page that Commissioner Hunter had not even set to private when news of this controversy broke on Monday in both the local and national media.

In his statement saying that he thought that his "racist pig" epithet would get Congressman John Lewis' attention, it seems that Gwinnett Commissioner Hunter most likely thought that he would receive the same type of favorable results for his provocative social media comments that someone like Donald Trump has so far seemingly received for his provocative public comments.

But while Commissioner Hunter is obviously no Donald Trump in terms of public celebrity, Hunter's provocative public comments on social media have made him a very high-profile target for the part of the public that dislikes (and despises) Donald Trump. Since that part of the public cannot necessarily inflict the type of damage that they would like on Donald Trump, they are going to turn their ire on someone like Gwinnett Commissioner Tommy Hunter who is much more accessible and whom they can get to much more easily than Donald Trump.

Because he seemed to have appointed himself a proxy for Donald Trump, the part of the public (media included) that despises Donald Trump is basically going to go after and abuse Gwinnett Commissioner Tommy Hunter like he is Donald Trump. Many of the speakers at the Gwinnett County Board of Commissioners' meeting on Tuesday afternoon, particularly the higher-profile speakers, made it abundantly clear that they plan to make an example out of Commissioner Hunter who did not seem to know and/or understand the political hornet's nest he was getting into when he made those provocative comments on his Facebook page over the weekend.

The bigger problem for Gwinnett Commissioner Tommy Hunter is that it is not just local anti-Trump interests who are targeting him, but it is also national anti-Trump interests who are going to be targeting him to be made an example out of in a continuing quest by the anti-Trump interests to inflict damage on the Trump movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta