Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 11:42 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,970,648 times

Advertisements

The Trumpsters will deny it and bash it and hate on it and deginerate it and deflect it ... but there's an amazing amount of truth in this column by the AJC's Bill Torpy.

Why 'racist pig' remark makes Atlanta area official a raging goof
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 08:48 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,420,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I watched the live footage of the Gwinnett County Board of Commissioners' meeting on Tuesday afternoon....Interesting meeting to say the least.

Gwinnett County Commissioner Tommy Hunter probably said what he did about Congressman John Lewis because he likely felt inspired by President-elect Donald Trump's electoral victory that resulted from a successful strategy of doing and saying controversial actions and statements using both social and traditional media.
Yep. And since he posted his pathetic comments around the time of the Falcons' game, I feel sure alcohol was involved.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:17 PM

32,037 posts, read 36,874,486 times
Trump is still going after John Lewis.

Can we say thin-skinned? I've never known anyone who got so bent out of shape over somebody criticizing them. Whatever happened to saying, "I'm not worried about it, I'm moving on."

Quote:
Donald Trump will not let go of his tiff with Rep. John Lewis (D-GA) over the civil rights icon's decision to boycott Trump's Inauguration.

During an interview that aired Wednesday morning on "Fox and Friends," Trump noted that Lewis at first incorrectly stated that Trump's will be the first Inauguration he skips. Lewis' office has acknowledged that the congressman also skipped George W. Bush's swearing in.

"He conveniently doesn’t remember. How do you forget if you go to an inauguration?” Trump said on "Fox and Friends." “You don’t forget something like that. So, he got caught, and it’s pretty bad, and it’s making him look bad, frankly.”

"I think he just grandstanded, John Lewis, and then he got caught in a very bad lie, so let’s see what happens," Trump continued. "As far as other people not going, that’s OK, because we need seats so badly, I hope they give me their tickets."

More....Trump Continues To Go After John Lewis: 'He Got Caught In A Very Bad Lie'

Old 01-18-2017, 02:21 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,096,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Trump is still going after John Lewis.

Can we say thin-skinned? I've never known anyone who got so bent out of shape over somebody criticizing them. Whatever happened to saying, "I'm not worried about it, I'm moving on."

Because he's a petulant toddler in a septuagenarian's body.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:58 AM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,952,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
To an extent you have a point, but to an extent you're off base and it shows how Trump and Republicans were out to twist words and paint Clinton in an unfair light.

They succeeded in a campaign to sell the idea that Clinton was calling Trump and all his supporters deplorable.

She was, legitly, criticizing Trump for taking advantage of support from people who were overtly secists, islamaphobic, racists, homophobic, etc... and it was strumming up problems from people. That was a reality too. Some people at parts of this election were being really ugly and Trump was encouraging them, not stopping them. There is a reason white supremacist hate groups were coming out for Trump and Trump didn't seem to care.

When she made that quote she did mix up here words. Her speech was trying to say there were two baskets of supporters: one good and one bad and her actual quote even said herself she was being 'grossly generalistic.'

Her original intention was to actually draw attention to the good people caught up in the bad too.

Transcript: Clinton's full remarks as she called half of Trump supporters 'deplorables' - LA Times

But no... I have no problem with calling people who are overtly islamaphobic, homophobic, sexist, racist, xenophobic and are strumming up social problems in our society deplorable. While Clinton should have been more careful with the phrase she used, it was clear what the complete context of her comments were.

When we look at Commissioner Hunter, in comparison, it was clear what the entire context of his comment was. He had no other point that would misconstrue what he was saying.
She called half of Trump's supporters, 25% of the voters, a basket of deplorables. There is no spin away from that. Now maybe you believe 25% of the people fit into that category. If so, you need to get out of your bubble.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:12 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,798,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
She called half of Trump's supporters, 25% of the voters, a basket of deplorables. There is no spin away from that. Now maybe you believe 25% of the people fit into that category. If so, you need to get out of your bubble.
Like I said she made a mistake and she admitted as much and she even claimed it to be "grossly generalizing" as she said it.

It isn't spin. You need to look at the whole context of her remarks. It is right there for everyone to see. You can see what her larger point was, because outside of the sound bite Republicans were able to take advantage of she directly discussed what her point was.

But I do agree there was a very vocal segment of people liking Trump for xenophobic reasons and many hate groups were loudly coming out supporting him and he was very slow to acknowledge or deny how he felt about them.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:14 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,324,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I agree with bu2 here. That was horrible politics and gave the media something to talk about. Considering the double standard Hillary faces she should have known better. That said, it had little to do with her electoral loss because she was still 13+ points ahead in the polls shortly after and the ***** grabbing by Trump wiped that from most people's memories.

I don't agree that she was wrong however. There are plenty of very good people who support Trump, they voted because of economic fear, or because they believed he would really drain the swamp. But a good chunk of his supporters are some of the most hate-mongering bigots I have ever seen, and his candidacy and win as emboldened them. Regardless of what you think of Hillary Clinton, it should never be okay to create effigies of her being murdered or hanging from a tree, or using her face as a target practice at a gun range, or freely calling her a c*nt or a b*tch at political rallies. A good chunk of Trump's supporters voted for him solely because they loved the idea of a non PC culture where they could be crass and vulgar to women, minorities, etc. Deplorable describes them perfectly.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:37 AM

32,037 posts, read 36,874,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
I agree with bu2 here. That was horrible politics and gave the media something to talk about. Considering the double standard Hillary faces she should have known better. That said, it had little to do with her electoral loss because she was still 13+ points ahead in the polls shortly after and the ***** grabbing by Trump wiped that from most people's memories.

I don't agree that she was wrong however. There are plenty of very good people who support Trump, they voted because of economic fear, or because they believed he would really drain the swamp. But a good chunk of his supporters are some of the most hate-mongering bigots I have ever seen, and his candidacy and win as emboldened them. Regardless of what you think of Hillary Clinton, it should never be okay to create effigies of her being murdered or hanging from a tree, or using her face as a target practice at a gun range, or freely calling her a c*nt or a b*tch at political rallies. A good chunk of Trump's supporters voted for him solely because they loved the idea of a non PC culture where they could be crass and vulgar to women, minorities, etc. Deplorable describes them perfectly.
That was a real blunder on Clinton's part.

She could have said "10% of the people supporting Trump are deplorable" and I think many people would have agreed, including many Trump supporters.

Trump could have said the same thing about Clinton supporters with similar results.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:52 PM

937 posts, read 929,580 times
I think Clinton was using online comment boards as a measuring stick for that statistic.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:59 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,415,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Well first be a little careful.

As much as I will criticize them alot, it isn't the whole party or even the majority of the party. It is a large chunk of people, though.

You might find many Republicans are a bit nervous about who they must be allied with sometimes. I do blame many for not stopping it, but I also know they don't to keep the alliance together.

Sadly, he is in the one district in Gwinnett County where he might be safe. The Southern end of his district (Shiloh and South Gwinnett Clusters) is very heavily African American. I would expect a strong backlash, but the northern end of his district is the exurban fringe and it is far more white and full of people that want to move in and than become fearful of development after the fact. I can see them being resistant to this kind of comment more often.

Either way, this was a an extremely divisive comment for his county district, given the areas he represents. This was a sad mark as a public leader and I hope he owns up to his mistakes maturely and quickly.

MAP: https://www.gwinnettcounty.com/porta...rs/DistrictMap

He is district 3.
Kimbro,
No matter which side the fence the people are on, the Lewis incident has brought to light what an actual buffoon we are dealing with.

The past election Hunter only won by 2,100 votes. His challenger was Jasper Watkins III. If Watkins had a plan outside of what would be an overall fiscal disaster (unsustainable) for Gwinnett he would have sailed to victory.

Taking party affiliation aside, the current Gwinnett Commission is about as questionable as that of DeKalb and Clayton Counties. If you travel across District 3 (I live here) which also includes Chairman's Nash's residence all one needs to do is see who the pocket liners are. Long story short a full commission, controlled by developers, who seek to find ways to catch up (never happens) infrastructure by maniupulating the SPLOST to benefit not their district but themselves.

Just the other day I laughed when the front page of the Gwinnett Post talked about how "The Commission Members are distancing themselves from Tommy Hunter" Heck, outside of being RINO's they are cowards, as they are all so damn crooked WD40 could not straighten them up.

Remember, this is the illustrious Council that voted themselves a 51% pay raise while they screwed the county employees, the Fire, and Police Force. This is the Commission who once they registered themselves for the election they voted to double figure increase the filing fees for challengers.

Forget John Lewis, they need to investigate the entire group for ethics starting with the development nonsense. Gwinnett "WAS" Great is what all of us long term residents say today.

So yes, Hunter is out after this term for sure. Though I am not a fan of Lewis's antics as he is another life long congressman who should have term limits. But when you take the oath of a public office, sorry you have committed not to act like a dipstick as what you say. Well, I think we all know

Last edited by Georgia; 01-21-2017 at 01:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta