Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 06:02 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Good question. Maybe you need a critical mass. But you can't get the critical mass until it is safe.

I know some people will go apoplectic over this, but someone who worked in the area told us (about a week ago) a lot of the people breaking into cars were using the Beltline to get there and then to escape.
This isn't surprising. That's why crime infested areas can't have nice things. They always abuse it. Give them public parks, they meet to sell drugs. Give them public art, they deface and "tag" it. People are always complaining that tax money always goes to improving the wealthy areas, but that's because they know how to take care of it and not abuse it. The beltline is no different - create something nice, and some "bright" thugs will figure out a way to use it to con/rob someone and spoil it for everyone else.

The only solution is just to continue gentrfication. The beltline may create a new way to commit crime, but it is also pushing up home values throughout the city and will eventually push the criminals further out into the exburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 07:18 PM

70 posts, read 68,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
Crime is so high in America because the underclass of low income and poorly educated properly males from areas with little to no opportunities will always continue to be a problem the more we have income inequality.
In Hong Kong you dont see citizens with guns walking around everywhere.Why is that?For the same reasons in which I have said above.
Hong Kong is an extremely dense city.People everywhere see everything.
Also Hong Kong being apart of China can make people disappear without so much as a fair trial.

As far as a woman walking around robbed or harassed in Hong Kong,is not Hong Kong one of the top cities for sex trafficking of women and slavery?
If I was a woman and had the choice,I think Id go with being robbed.
The only comment I have for your above response is now I understand why your response to reputation ratio is so out of whack.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:40 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
This isn't surprising. That's why crime infested areas can't have nice things. They always abuse it. Give them public parks, they meet to sell drugs. Give them public art, they deface and "tag" it. People are always complaining that tax money always goes to improving the wealthy areas, but that's because they know how to take care of it and not abuse it. The beltline is no different - create something nice, and some "bright" thugs will figure out a way to use it to con/rob someone and spoil it for everyone else.

The only solution is just to continue gentrfication. The beltline may create a new way to commit crime, but it is also pushing up home values throughout the city and will eventually push the criminals further out into the exburbs.
Well this was someone who worked in Virginia Highlands. Its quite "gentrified."

Old 01-21-2017, 08:49 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty and out View Post
The only comment I have for your above response is now I understand why your response to reputation ratio is so out of whack.
If there's one thing I've noticed after using forums pretty heavily for about 12 years, it's that the people who are the rudest, cockiest, and downright most vitriolic posters tend to have high reputations. Why? Because people like them rep them for everything they say, whereas I don't rep people for just posting general stuff.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:01 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Encouraging the death of other humans? You are a grade A a**hole. Killing criminals is not why Hong Kong is the way you are observing, they invest a lot in their people than we do in America.
People need to be scared to ever try to cause harm to someone else in a criminal act. It goes against everything of a civil society where people can live and prosper without fear. In Hong Kong and many countries in Asia the penalty for even posessing an illegal fireman can be life in prison, yet alone using it in a crime. Criminals here aren't scared of our laws and there are too many people like you who bend over and just take it which only encourages such crimes because it is easier than working a job.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:17 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What is the best way to combat crimes like this?
An inclusive booming economy that reaches all social sectors of American society that puts livable wage money in people's pockets.

And public sector & private sector policies that discourage the welfare mindstate and the effects thereof. All at the same time.

Right off bat that's my feeling.

I don't see that happening with this government though. But it never really happened with any government in this country...at all.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:09 AM

70 posts, read 68,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
If there's one thing I've noticed after using forums pretty heavily for about 12 years, it's that the people who are the rudest, cockiest, and downright most vitriolic posters tend to have high reputations. Why? Because people like them rep them for everything they say, whereas I don't rep people for just posting general stuff.
I see your rep to post ratio is out of whack too. Try to post comments that make sense instead of drivel. Quality not quantity.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:24 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty and out View Post
I see your rep to post ratio is out of whack too. Try to post comments that make sense instead of drivel. Quality not quantity.
Attacking two posters that are consistently reasonable in what they assert in this forum.
Who are you, anyway, the Reputation Gestapo?

Old 01-22-2017, 08:15 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
An inclusive booming economy that reaches all social sectors of American society that puts livable wage money in people's pockets.

And public sector & private sector policies that discourage the welfare mindstate and the effects thereof. All at the same time.

Right off bat that's my feeling.

I don't see that happening with this government though. But it never really happened with any government in this country...at all.
I wonder what immediate changes we could make locally to move us in that direction? Obviously the ATL can't fix the whole country or the rest of the world.

Last edited by arjay57; 01-22-2017 at 09:08 AM..

Old 01-22-2017, 09:03 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,430,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
If we can't make the Beltline safe to walk on late at night, doesn't that rather defeat the purpose for bars and restaurants to be located along it?
No.Once it becomes more developed,it will have more crowds.More crowds will equal less crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta