Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:58 PM

290 posts, read 1,159,667 times

Advertisements

I really enjoy both cities, But ATL seems miles ahead of Charlotte. ATL is like Charlotte's daddy.Yea 10-15 years Charlotte might overpass it, but who wants to live in a city because in 15 years or so it will reach itss full potential? I dont think anyone does. I can understand why you would compare the two, but Charlotte is truly not on Atlanta's level (especially for African-Americans). You often see ATL - DC - LA - CHICAGO - NYC as the world class cites of america, you never will see Charlotte in this category, doesnt even look right.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:22 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,095,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
I really enjoy both cities, But ATL seems miles ahead of Charlotte. ATL is like Charlotte's daddy.Yea 10-15 years Charlotte might overpass it, but who wants to live in a city because in 15 years or so it will reach itss full potential? I dont think anyone does. I can understand why you would compare the two, but Charlotte is truly not on Atlanta's level (especially for African-Americans). You often see ATL - DC - LA - CHICAGO - NYC as the world class cites of america, you never will see Charlotte in this category, doesnt even look right.

I dont think it will overpass i I can see charlotte growing to where minneapolis is. The growth in charlotte has been booming but it is the same growth trend Atlanta saw in the 80s. theres alot of things that CHArlotte would have to accomplish in order to get a certain status like Atlanta. In those 15 years charrlotte will have to gain over 4 million people in its metro area. Charlotte is on the level with nashville, columbus ohio, etc.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:28 PM

925 posts, read 2,607,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
There is no one Bashing Atlanta there is no competition between Charlotte and Atlanta if any we would be with Houston Dallas or other citys who have the same status Pop growth etc Charlotte is were Atlanta was 20 years ago It just has to grow alot more.
Charlotte is more or less at the same place where Atlanta was 25-30 years ago, not 20 years ago. Metro population wise, Charlotte is now where Atlanta was around the 1980-1984 time period.

Charlotte is a great city, though. It's got a beautiful, although smaller skyline. It's got great neighborhoods. Its quality of life is very similar to Atlanta's, in a smaller city sense.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:43 PM

14 posts, read 43,382 times
Comparing Chrlotte to Atlanta is like comparing Buckhead to the East Atlanta Village...they are not on the same page....not even in the same fing library...stay in Atlanta...Charlotte is the second largest banking town in the u.s. after New York...and then there are college kids...its reeling from the lost banking jobs and its terrible.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:53 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,281 times
Default t

childish. Evidently the guys in Atl don't really know to much about Charlotte because if they did they would know that charlotte is not that far behind.:

Charlotte stats:

fortune500 heaquarters: 10--- #5 in country
city population- 750,000 - 15th in country
2nd largest financial city in country
6th largest urban area in country--- 6.9 million people
10th largest airport in world
#1 place to live(relocate america)
2nd tallest building outside of chicago and new york

Old 04-27-2009, 07:05 PM

750 posts, read 2,276,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
childish. Evidently the guys in Atl don't really know to much about Charlotte because if they did they would know that charlotte is not that far behind.:

Charlotte stats:

I like both cities, my family has lived in Charlotte for many years now. From the website that you mentioned (Relocate America) I pulled these stats. I'm not sure where it mentions Charlotte though as being the number one place to live, or atleast in 2009. I pulled stats from both cites being that they were interesting.

~~The same qualities that appeal to visitors have made Charlotte one of the Southeast's premier places to live. More than 500,000 people reside within our borders, approximately 1.3 million within the metro area, and 6 million within a 100-mile radius. We're home to 292 of the top Fortune 500 companies and more than 340 foreign firms. Financial experts know us as the nation's second largest banking center (next to New York City), with more than $362 billion in banking assets. The nation's fifth largest urban region, Charlotte and environs have attracted more and more people who want to become part of our team.

~~Welcome to Atlanta - home of the world’s busiest airport and the third largest concentration of Fortune 500 companies in the nation. Our research universities are on the cutting edge, our quality of life is second to none, our cost of doing business is the lowest in the country, and we’re leading the nation in attracting the talented college grads companies want to hire. Combine that with the fact that Atlanta is ranked by national magazines as the best place to live, work and play, and the benefits of living and doing business in metro Atlanta - the business capital of the Southeast - are clear.

Atlanta is often considered a poster child for cities worldwide experiencing urban sprawl, economic development, and growth. Between 2000 and 2006, the Atlanta metropolitan area grew 20.5%, the highest percentage amongst the top-ten metro areas. The metro area has also had the most single-family housing starts for 13 consecutive years

Relocate-America's™ 2009 Top 100 Places to Live (http://top100.relocate-america.com/ - broken link)

Old 04-27-2009, 08:35 PM

294 posts, read 782,188 times
Quote:

Charlotte stats:

Is Charlotte really up to 750, 000?? It was just 650K last year. How did it grow so fast in one year!

Old 04-27-2009, 08:37 PM

198 posts, read 261,997 times
Atlanta is larger always has been. I now live in Charlotte. Just left the PGA at beautiful Quail Hollow Country Club. Now on Lake Norman enjoying some Jazz and the sunset over the lake. I am only a twenty minute scenic drive down Beatties Ford Rd to my uptown highrise condo. Hey mabe size doesn't matter. There is less of an Atl buzz in Charlotte than it was a few years ago. There was a time a calendar of events for the Atl was a Necessity. Nothing wrong with the Atl but just less reasons to visit since Charlotte has most of the same to offer and Greensboro, W/S and Raleigh have also been developing over the years and also have a lot to offer and they are a lot closer . This may be good for the Atl. When I visit in the future I my stay longer which means more money for ATL economy.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:53 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,095,059 times
Quote:

Charlotte stats:

Far behind

Atlanta Georgia, is the eighth-largest Metropolitan Statistical Area in the United States and consists of 28 counties in Georgia. Atlanta is the capital and the largest city in the state of Georgia with a population of 519,145.[1] Its metropolitan statistical area has a population of 5,376,285,[2][3] with a combined statistical area population of 5,626,400.[4] The city itself ranks as the 33rd-largest in the United States.
For media in Atlanta, it became the eighth-largest media market in 2008. According to the 2008 rankings of the ranking of world cities undertaken by the Globalization and World Cities Study Group & Network and based on the level of presence of global corporate service organizations, Internationally known as a top business city and transportation hub,[13][14] Atlanta is—along with its American counterparts Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Washington D.C.—a top tier Atlanta has the nation's third largest concentration of Fortune 500 companies, and more than 75% of the Fortune 1000 companies have a presence in the Atlanta metropolitan. Atlanta is also home to the fastest growing millionaire population in the United States. The number of households in Atlanta with $1 million or more in investable assets, not including primary residence and consumable goods, will increase 69% through 2011, to approximately 103,000 households.[113

Transportation

Marta is 7th most used system in USA and the ninth largest system in USA
Buisest Airport in the World.

Charlotte Lynx is Tiny Charlotte/Douglas International Airport is the 30th busiest airport in the world, as measured by traffic[45

Tourism
6th Most visitied city
37 million visitors; 21.5 million rooms sold; score: 3.05 Atlanta attracts the thirteenth-highest number of foreign tourists of any city in the United States, with more than 478,000 foreign visitors

List Of major events hosted in Atlanta

OLympics
2 super bowls and 2 NBA allstar games
NHL all star and more

Sports
4 major sports teams that have been around longer than anything in Charlotte

Education

Atlanta has more than 30 institutions of higher education, including the Georgia Institute of Technology, a predominant engineering and research university that has been ranked in the top ten public universities since 1999 by US News and World Report, and Georgia State University. The city also hosts the Atlanta University Center, the largest consortium of historically Black colleges and universities in the country. Its members include Clark Atlanta University, Morehouse College, Spelman College, and the Interdenominational Theological Center. Adjoining the AUC schools, but independent from them, is the Morehouse School of Medicine. The Savannah College of Art and Design opened a Midtown Atlanta, campus in 2005 and shortly thereafter bought out and closed the Atlanta College of Art. Also in the city are the John Marshall Law School (Atlanta) and the Reformed Theological Seminary.

The Key Tower in Cleveland is taller than Bank of america building in charlotte, and the Suntrust building in Atlanta is the same hieght as the bank of America building . There is a ton of retail and Hotels that are not in the charlotte market. I can go on and on and on but Charlotte has alot to catch up to get to Atlantas status. I dont have anything against Charlotte and this may seem childish but qc pushed me too it

Old 04-28-2009, 12:05 AM

722 posts, read 3,316,843 times
no, bofa tower is taller. its the tallest building in the US outside of NYC or Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta