Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 01:42 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Really. And I believe the source you refer to is NBC Latino, a division of NBC News. I'll let others draw their own conclusions.
Except the source you're so quick to disparage quotes actual figures from nonpartisan sources. Your source says "Well, Wikipedia says that most people jump the border" and comes from an anti immigration website.

Again, though, this is really exhibit A of the problem we have in America right now. It's one thing to disagree, but it's another thing to have alternate facts, which is what the entire GOP operates on now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 02:34 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Except the source you're so quick to disparage quotes actual figures from nonpartisan sources. Your source says "Well, Wikipedia says that most people jump the border" and comes from an anti immigration website.

Again, though, this is really exhibit A of the problem we have in America right now. It's one thing to disagree, but it's another thing to have alternate facts, which is what the entire GOP operates on now.
That damn GOP. Must be why those squeaky-clean Dems are in control now. Oh, wait...

Old 04-07-2017, 04:38 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Really. And I believe the source you refer to is NBC Latino, a division of NBC News. I'll let others draw their own conclusions.
Several things

1. So you think it having "Latino" means there a bias?

2. But Not only that but bias enough for you to compare an overtly agenda sources literally using Wikipedia as source you could use on a collage essay...... Over NBC wow

3. The the sounce you use doesn't even prove it's on premise. It litteally use the "we assume" a couple of times. And states that most illegal comes from Mexico.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
That damn GOP. Must be why those squeaky-clean Dems are in control now. Oh, wait...
Since bill their have been a thing where the country vote a party to max power than vote them right back out

Basically the country just blames who ever in power. Now since dems are out that is why all the criticism is now on republicans.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Oh, right, I forgot everything other than Fox and Brietbart is fake news.

I'm an openminded person, and I know biased news. For example, I'd never quote Huffington Post or Mother Jones. But NBC news? The GOP anti-intellectual campaign is really destroying the foundation of our country. I guess you believe the NY Times is fake too, as Trump proclaimed? Where do we draw the line?

It's like the GOP gave up on trying to talk their way out of bad press and decided to just label any non right wing news source as fake news. It's amazing.
It's actually politically brilliant and sad

Now truth and facts don't exist..... and anything that says anyone's is wrong can never be right but bias.

The earth is not round it just those bias liberal

Old 04-07-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Several things

1. So you think it having "Latino" means there a bias?

2. But Not only that but bias enough for you to compare an overtly agenda sources literally using Wikipedia as source you could use on a collage essay...... Over NBC wow

3. The the sounce you use doesn't even prove it's on premise. It litteally use the "we assume" a couple of times. And states that most illegal comes from Mexico.
1. Yes, entirely plausible

2&3. Can I get a translator?

Old 04-07-2017, 10:53 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,320,875 times
Quote:
Also...did you seriously supplement your argument by providing a source from a website against immigration?
That's really dishonest and frankly offensive to mischaracterize his post like that. The data come from Wikipedia which is citing official government reports.

Notice how the people who want to flood our country with illegal aliens react to the wall? They hate it! That's a strong clue that the wall will be effective.

Another benefit of the wall is psychological. It tells us that our government is protecting us against the hordes of exploiters who want to prey on our trust and sympathy. It reminds Mexicans that they are not Americans. They have their own country and we have ours. The Bushes and the Clintons resent that, but most Americans who have given the issue some thought appreciate that those two dynasties were rebuked in our last election.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:18 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
That's really dishonest and frankly offensive to mischaracterize his post like that. The data come from Wikipedia which is citing official government reports.

Notice how the people who want to flood our country with illegal aliens react to the wall? They hate it! That's a strong clue that the wall will be effective.

Another benefit of the wall is psychological. It tells us that our government is protecting us against the hordes of exploiters who want to prey on our trust and sympathy. It reminds Mexicans that they are not Americans. They have their own country and we have ours. The Bushes and the Clintons resent that, but most Americans who have given the issue some thought appreciate that those two dynasties were rebuked in our last election.
That data came from an anti immigration website. That's like posting stats on autism and vaccines from an anti vaccine website. The stats I posted clearly show that most new illegal residents are visa overstays. The wall does nothing.

Second, why is this "psychological' wall more important than Healthcare? Why is it okay to tax our citizens for a wall that helps no one and was used as nothing more but a way to rally the racist vote to win an election, but not tax our citizens to provide Healthcare? Again, how many citizens are killed annually by illegal immigrants who ran the border...and how many are killed by lack of Healthcare?

The GOP is just too hypocritical. Unborn children must be protected...but only until born, then they don't deserve Healthcare or social safety nets. We need to build a wall because illegal immigrants are dangerous, but we should make buying a gun as easy as possible even for the mentally incompetent. Or how about...the "beautiful children" of Syria who must be avenged by missles, but Trump won't let a single one of those children into the country to escape that violence. It's all so ridiculous sometimes I can only laugh to keep from crying at the joke of a party running this country.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:

I really don't all the hubbub over the article that I posted. Obviously the publisher is coming from a position of pro-immigration reform, but there's nothing particularly inflammatory about what they're asserting, except perhaps for the idea that data may be manipulated to assuage the fears of those that support immigration reform.

On the other hand, the NBC Latino article contains this headline:

"Visa Overstays Outnumber Illegal Border Crossings, Trend Expected to Continue"

Fine, make your case like the headline says, and move on... but no. In addition, you have this:

"The majority of immigrants settling in the U.S. without authorization are first coming to the country legally, raising questions about the effectiveness of President Donald Trump's plan to build a wall on the U.S.-Mexican border."

"Trump's plan to build a wall had already been widely criticized, not only for its estimated cost of $21 billion, but for necessity, given the enforcement tools already in place, amongst other reasons."

"Widely criticized". By whom? And how widely? What are the numbers that support this nebulous contention? And what other reasons?

So what you really have is criticism of Trump's wall proposal, which is fine, but be honest about it and indicate that this is direction you're taking in your headline. Sloppy, agenda-driven (what passes for) journalism.

Then there's the pesky little problem of the Vox Populi.

Poll: Support for immigration reform - POLITICO

Poll: 71 percent of Fla. voters back immigration reform | Miami Herald

https://www.immigrationdirect.com/im...Fp=106400.html

Poll indicates support for immigration reform - New American Economy

Old 04-08-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
1. Yes, entirely plausible

2&3. Can I get a translator?
1. Not saying you are but that train of thought is racist....... I seriously didn't know being Latino itself was agenda or bias, to even have that thought you must hasty generalize Latinos as having the same view, as well as believe there views are against you. this is why Trump was criticizing for his comments of the judge for his Trump U scandal simply because he's Mexican American.

2. The source you linked used Wikipedia as a source, you couldn't use it a collage essay,

It's not creditable The danger of the internet people can just make something up and post it in a blog, web page or something and someone may read it believe it true or credible.

Yes News networks has bias or spin, they will try to frame the truth as half full/half empty to the left or right but not changing the truth that the glass is the middle.

If trump rating was at 42 and rose to 43 MSNBC would report Trump numbers are below 50, while FOX would report Trump are raising neither are actually false they just spun it.

If some post a link of CNN, FOX, MSNBC you can't just say I don't like it That called a ‎Confirmation bias only accepting information that support your already had beliefs.

3. Your link didn't prove it's on premise......... I read the whole thing it kept using the phrase "we assume" which is already red flag......... data from the 90's.........and the article seem to seek to prove most immigrates are coming from Mexico, which doesn't conflict with the idea Mexicans can fly in and other stay visas.

Last edited by chiatldal; 04-08-2017 at 12:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: