Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2017, 10:16 AM

13 posts, read 54,516 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm considering a possible relocation to the Atlanta area for work. I would probably work initially in Johns Creek and then within a few years transfer to the Dunwoody or Perimeter area.

So I'm looking for neighborhoods that are no more than a 45 minute commute to either location, because I don't want to move twice.

1. Budget max $470,000
2. Single family 4 bedroom house
3. Low crime
4. Very good public schools, especially high school
5. Suburban area
6. Prefer to drive to work but would consider public transit

Thanks for your help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 10:29 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,561,005 times
Peachtree Corners sounds very much like the ideal place for you. If you were to draw a straight line from Johns Creek to Perimeter Center, it would go right through Peachtree Corners. It pretty much hits each of your requirements [having no kids, I couldn't tell you very specifically how good the schools are, though].

Old 04-21-2017, 12:12 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,932,450 times
Peachtree Corners would be zoned to Norcross HS which is an OK school.
Take a look at Roswell. Just across the river and should have good homes in budget.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:38 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,489,724 times
With a location that is about halfway between Johns Creek and Dunwoody, DJDeadParrot's suggestion of Peachtree Corners is an excellent one that matches all of the criteria that you are looking for.

Peachtree Corners is a nice suburban community with good housing stock in an area of great public schools (particularly in the attendance zones for Simpson Elementary and Pinckneyville Middle schools) in the cluster/feeder zone for Norcross High School where a maximized amount of parental and community involvement has spurred a large donor base, a focus on academic support and highly-competitive athletic teams that often contend for state titles (particularly in boys basketball, girls basketball and football).

Peachtree Corners also has many retail amenities along GA 141 Peachtree Parkway starting with the Forum on Peachtree Parkway, an upscale open-air shopping mall that includes a Trader Joe's grocery store.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:21 PM

13 posts, read 54,516 times
Thanks everyone!

In our situation, school quality is probably our number one priority. I checked Greatschools.org and Norcross High is rated only 7, so that concerns me. I noted that Roswell High School is rated a 9, but Johns Creek High and Northview High School are both 10's.

I'm aware that traffic is an issue. How bad would my commute be from the Johns Creek High School area to the Perimeter area, or from Roswell High School area to the Perimeter area?

Thanks again!

Old 04-21-2017, 02:28 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,658,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcog View Post
Thanks everyone!

In our situation, school quality is probably our number one priority. I checked Greatschools.org and Norcross High is rated only 7, so that concerns me. I noted that Roswell High School is rated a 9, but Johns Creek High and Northview High School are both 10's.

I'm aware that traffic is an issue. How bad would my commute be from the Johns Creek High School area to the Perimeter area, or from Roswell High School area to the Perimeter area?

Thanks again!
Johns Creek and Northview student populations are almost exclusively from affluent families. While there is some ethnic diversity, there is little economic diversity. Norcross High has much more diversity which impacts test scores, but likely not the educational experience your child would have.

Are you familiar with IB?

Old 04-21-2017, 02:29 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,283 times
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/John...7!2d33.9240035

30 minutes now, from JC HS to Perimeter

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Rosw...7!2d33.9240035

25 minutes from Roswell HS to Perimeter

Have you thought about living in Dunwoody?
Dunwoody High School - Dunwoody, Georgia - GA | GreatSchools
8/10. As long as you're involved, you should be fine at Norcross HS. It is 35/447 in Georgia.
https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...orgia/rankings

To me, you get a good in between commute and a good house in Peachtree Corners with a decent school.

Or a smaller house but great commute for your future employment with a good school. I don't think it's worth it to be out in JC or Roswell just for the school, especially when traffic flares up.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:04 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/John...7!2d33.9240035

30 minutes now, from JC HS to Perimeter

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Rosw...7!2d33.9240035

25 minutes from Roswell HS to Perimeter
Double+ those times during rush hour! At least an hour for each.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:12 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,258,301 times
Peachtree Corners is your best value all around. Gorgeous large homes in your range:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...27_rect/12_zm/

Norcross High is a 7/10, Pickneyville Middle is 8/10. That's not bad.

Most importantly it's an easy commute to Johns Creek, and a reasonably easy commute to Perimeter Center, using all back roads. Commute time is going to make or break your enjoyment of your life in this metro, so I would not stray more than a few miles outside I-285. And I would not go with Roswell if you need to commute to Perimeter in the mornings, because 400 traffic is a total nightmare. Roswell is also more expensive and has higher property and sales taxes than Gwinnett.

Also you have Doraville MARTA park&ride station as an option over there in Peachtree Corners, so you can access downtown and the airport when you need to, without all the traffic and headache.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:59 PM

46 posts, read 47,148 times
Norcross is a school of excellence so I wouldn't read too into the school ratings. It's like picking between Acura and Lexus. Neither are a Lamborghini nor are they Kias.

The overall decision is a coin-flip in terms of Johns Creek, Roswell and Peachtree Corners. I would go with PC. Probably end up with a slightly larger property too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta