Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2017, 01:28 PM

9,007 posts, read 14,115,086 times

Advertisements

Commissioners approve

Just wondering what you all think of this.

I think that work is progressing to create some of that "drive-to" walkability that is discussed here. And I think that for a while, this may seem a bit out of place.

But since I believe it is inevitable that Gwinnett Arena will SOMEDAY be a mass transit node with a MARTA station, I think it makes sense to create all the infrastructure that will support that, so long as they leave room somewhere to actually make a station.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 02:16 PM

347 posts, read 382,877 times
Some may lament, as you say, about it being "drive-to", but I look at it this way - hopefully, it's laying the foundations/an anchor to where the surrounding areas develop in a similar fashion.

Of course, there will still always be a bit of a "drive-to" to it, in the same manner that it can be in Atlanta itself. However, businesses will locate themselves there, people will move in, the surrounding area will develop in a similar fashion.

What would be cool is if they connect to the greenway up by the Mall of Georgia and it's mixed use they're building. Maybe have Suwanee Town Center as another waypoint.

Plus, with how populated Gwinnett county has become, I think it's a great thing.

tl;dr - it's going to start out as almost an "outdoor mall" like the Avalon is, but as a result, the surrounding area will develop itself to compliment the mixed-use lifestyle.

Last edited by Stormhammer; 04-26-2017 at 02:34 PM..

Old 04-27-2017, 10:32 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,573,440 times
Duluth sure is building out a lot of high[er] density residential.

- There's a $64m development of Brookhaven-style apartments, 375 units in all, going up on the old Proctor Square shopping center adjacent to downtown Duluth.

- 330 apartments opened last year at the newly completed Sugarloaf Market.

- Actual buildings are being constructed at Berkeley Village, which is located on Pleasant Hill between Buford Hwy and Shorty Howell Park.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:08 PM

32,040 posts, read 36,947,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Commissioners approve

Just wondering what you all think of this.

I think that work is progressing to create some of that "drive-to" walkability that is discussed here. And I think that for a while, this may seem a bit out of place.

But since I believe it is inevitable that Gwinnett Arena will SOMEDAY be a mass transit node with a MARTA station, I think it makes sense to create all the infrastructure that will support that, so long as they leave room somewhere to actually make a station.

Thoughts?
It looks good to me. I don't get these complaints about "drive to urbansim."

Old 04-27-2017, 04:11 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,335,120 times
These places make Disney World look like a hipster's quirky paradise.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:42 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,260,696 times
Tear the entire thing down so the glads have to move to Phillips. That's the only good option

Old 04-27-2017, 10:53 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,822,120 times
Well admittedly if I was a commissioner I would have voted yes in that sometimes we have to take what we deem good opportunities where developers will put them, especially when they keep wealth in the county.

But I actually echo the warning of Gwinnett's planners.

The problem with the project is what's around it, not just how it's individually built. There are other areas that are intended to general more commercial growth in the future. Ie. Walkability isn't all about building design, but how neighboring properties interact.

As far as density goes, this isn't all that dense compared to other things in the county. Many people ignore just how dense existing 90s era apartment buildings are.

The real reason this project has traction is the proximity of well paying jobs to this area, but there is a problem that planners don't see too much commercial growth next to this development, compared to other nearby areas.

Other problems gwinnett currently has is we need more apartments in less trendy areas that likely won't be walkable, but will give workers short drives. That is key sometimes too. For example the 124 corridor is lacking enough housing for the very retail workers that work there. This promotes longer 10-15 mile drives over 2 mile drives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta