Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 06:06 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,421,906 times

Advertisements

Tunnels can quickly become a huge albatross with delays and costs that spiral out of control.

Look at Seattle's recent experience.

Bertha's had a hard time in Seattle | The News Tribune

Also of course there's Boston's big dig and New Jersey's recently cancelled effort.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dig
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/28/ny...ype=collection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 07:34 AM
bu2

24,118 posts, read 14,909,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Exactly.

I say leave the trucks and the buses (and the carbon-emitting cars) up on the surface freeways. With buses given the HOV/HOT lane system at the surface, to take over as their own regional bus-only lane network.

Then build an intricate network of underground tunnels for electric cars only (with therefore less ventilation required), preferably for autonomous cars or at least with autopilot anti-crash features.

With a controlled access system, where your electric vehicle has to be pre-registered for access, and when you pull up a green meter light and the gate opens to the tunnel, allowing one car at a time, maybe with a few queue lanes. This gated flow effect would also speed up traffic in the tunnel.

And upon access you're charged a variable toll based on current congestion levels in the tunnel system.

I think I'd rather see something more like that, than these crazy sleds, where the car's wheels aren't even moving. Seems kind of redundant/inefficient, to me.

"Yo dawg, we put a car in your car, so you can drive while you drive".
I think the sled idea is to reduce the problems with driver error. Of course, you could also have self driving cars.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:36 AM
bu2

24,118 posts, read 14,909,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Thank you!!! The most sensible post today . I read the article on BBC UK. Elon Musk would be better off looking for mass transit solutions, instead of his foolish idea. SMH.
You are assuming every place is like New York.

I doubt this idea will be economically feasible, but if it is, it provides vastly more flexibility than mass transit and much better fits any American city not named New York or San Francisco.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:41 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,009,875 times
I don't get it. If it were this easy or cost effective to bore that many tunnels, why not just build subways?

Old 05-01-2017, 03:44 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,243,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I don't get it. If it were this easy or cost effective to bore that many tunnels, why not just build subways?
Because I can leave directly from my house, whenever I want to leave. The worst part of transit is having to live life on a schedule. If you have money, there's a good chance you're gonna pay to do things on your own time.

I had this sled idea, in a slightly different setup, many years ago. Rather than tunnels, it would run in the inside lanes of highways and allow for super fast travel w/o the need for addtl ROW. This would have been suspended by a rail over the road.

I also get the feeling that the tunnel industry needs a healthy slap of disruption. Things are way too expensive and some competition would do infrastructure development well.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:01 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,272,203 times
If it were easy and cheap and fast to bore tunnels, we wouldn't need to sit here fight about whether to make them for cars or trains, as there could be plenty of tunnels for both modes.

The big breakthrough would be if tunnels became easy and cheap and fast to do, which is not at all the case in reality. So, that's the part that I'm not quite understanding what changed or how.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:19 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,698,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
If it were easy and cheap and fast to bore tunnels, we wouldn't need to sit here fight about whether to make them for cars or trains, as there could be plenty of tunnels for both modes.

The big breakthrough would be if tunnels became easy and cheap and fast to do, which is not at all the case in reality. So, that's the part that I'm not quite understanding what changed or how.
There hasn't been any break-through yet. Musk bought a 2nd-hand tunnel boring machine and dug a test trench at his SpaceX facility in California. Nothing's been changed, he's just playing with stuff and seeing if he can come up with something an entire industry hasn't found yet.

If he can, well I can't argue with that, but I am not holding my breath. Certainly not when seeing artists' renderings with so many implementation and operational loopholes like we've seen so far.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:16 AM

32,031 posts, read 36,818,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Because I can leave directly from my house, whenever I want to leave. The worst part of transit is having to live life on a schedule. If you have money, there's a good chance you're gonna pay to do things on your own time.
Exactly. Plus many of us have changing itineraries and the need to go places that aren't served by transit. We also have to carry things and other people.

Personally I also enjoy just rambling around and exploring things. When possible I often take the road less traveled, instead of racing to the bus stop.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:52 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,009,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Do we really need to add infrastructure to achieve something already possible today. The point of mass transit isn't that it's faster or provides privacy like an automobile, but that it can a massive amount of people in one instance while reducing over all congestion.

Transit will never ever be door to door for all people (or even a few), faster than driving, or a private experience. It doesn't need to be.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:54 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,243,171 times
Well, cheaper tunnels is just good for any mode of transport.

But I do think transit's future is going to be more personal in regards to routing and time as it blends w/ rideshare concepts over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta