Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 10:39 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times

Advertisements

Everyone has a reason. That reason is seeing what's there!

I mean, that's the whole idea behind travel in general, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 11:19 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Well, yes, folks like you and me are the curious type. We want to see things just to see them.

But many people feel like if they've got everything they need within a few miles, why bother?

Old 05-04-2017, 12:00 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Who has the free time to drive to the far reaches of the metro area just to have a look around?

I go to various parts of the metro area (Kennesaw, Marietta, Buford, Lawrenceville, Grayson, Tucker, Douglasville, Villa Rica, Norcross, etc.) somewhat often to visit family or friends, and while I thought some of these places had their charms (Lawrenceville and Marietta's downtowns were nice, for example), I don't recall there being anything in any of those places that would merit a special trip.

But, I'm the type of person who would rather go to a state I've never visited for a concert rather than going to see that same band when they come here. So I guess my curiosity extends a little farther than 30 miles away.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:05 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,248,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Who has the free time to drive to the far reaches of the metro area just to have a look around?
People who like to spend time in nature. The Big Creek Greenway in Forsyth starts on McFarland. Sawnee mountain is a few minutes north of there and is a beautiful hike, with great views at the top. There are plenty of things to do that don't require buildings or people, or even infrastructure. You are missing out if you don't go to places that are not developed. That's just my opinion though.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:18 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhammer View Post
I mean, my girlfriend is a highway engineer and works on projects around Atlanta, lives in Chamblee, and wouldn't be able to tell you where the Mall of Georgia is.... I think it really comes down to residents ITP may have never had much reason to go outside of 285, so as a result are unaware, if that makes sense.
That makes complete sense, Stormhammer. On the flip side, most of the folks out here in the burbs don't need to go into town, except, perhaps to work. It always amazes me when someone out here asks where the Atlanta Botanical Gardens are. Now, most do know where Lennox and Phipps Malls are, or the bar at the St. Regis...

Old 05-04-2022, 10:29 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Default Halcyon’s second phase is fully leased

Quote:
RocaPoint Partners Wednesday announced the finalization of three new office leases in Halcyon’s Building 1100: Success Factory, Incident IQ, and Design District, all set to open later this year. With these leases, Halcyon’s second phase is fully leased.

This announcement comes on the heels of other recent signings including the planned opening of the Tutu School at Halcyon, as well as the addition of office and retail clients such as BBQGuys, Eclipse Di Luna, Il Bottegone, Playa Bowls, and Alimera Sciences.
Second Phase of Halcyon Office Fully Leased With Addition of Success Factory, Incident IQ, Design District
Alpharetta mixed-use is in its second year.
(What Now Atlanta)

Old 05-05-2022, 02:05 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I really don't understand why Curbed feels it necessary to feed into the division of Atlanta by starting such an article with:

I mean, how provincial are they? I was a diehard ITPer for a long time, but I still knew about Exit 12 on GA 400. In fact, I made regular trips up 400 to go to Walmart because the intown Walmarts closed at midnight and I often needed something at 2 in the morning.

I just think it isn't helpful at all, and Curbed should be ashamed of itself.

I guess they were oblivious to all the major companies with offices up at Windward Parkway, who employ thousands.

Old 05-05-2022, 06:43 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I guess they were oblivious to all the major companies with offices up at Windward Parkway, who employ thousands.
I just saw the permit hearing sign on Windward for the new Continuum mega-development. It will be interesting to see how they try to differentiate from Avalon and Halcyon.

Old 05-05-2022, 06:48 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
From what I've read Continuum is going to be state of the art.

Old 05-07-2022, 03:48 PM

415 posts, read 972,067 times
Looks like 2 minutes up the road from Avalon on the same side of 400 (West). Should attract lots of restaurants and (hopefully) interesting retail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta