Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 09:33 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,381,401 times

Advertisements

Our readers write: This is another installment of Across the Divide, in which the AJC solicits first-person stories from readers in response to the prompt: Talk about a time when you felt like an outsider. Melton Bennett’s observations on race aboard the north-south MARTA train, published two weeks ago, drew a loud and angry reaction, and he has written a follow-up article below. The Across the Divide feature is part of the AJC’s new RE:Race project, which is covering the dramatic racial and ethnic change sweeping Georgia..."

Full Story: Riding on MARTA: AJC readers on race and ethnicity in Atlanta

Original Story: First person: How we experience race in Georgia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 09:55 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
I'm a 50 year old white woman and I've been mistaken for the employee at many places, and as a nanny at my grandchildren's school.

When I ride the train, I don't shrink back from black people. I look them in the eye and I admire their dance moves. I might ask what artist they are listening to, if I like the beat. I don't care about the cussing, I can curse with the best of them myself. So what if the blacks want to sit together? But if this is all going through your head, no wonder they said, "These crackers don't like that ****." Because your judgmental white tail was staring down at them.

The old white lady who got upset that no one came to give them a table? And the whiny "We went home and ate a bag of chips." Oh puhlease. Martyr much?

Just excuses for people to be offended.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:53 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
I sit with my suitcase in between my legs, leaving space for someone to sit next to me.
Why can't Airport-Only riders put their carry-on under the seat or in the luggage area?

Old 05-09-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Why can't Airport-Only riders put their carry-on under the seat or in the luggage area?
Fear of it getting stolen?

Old 05-09-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Fear of it getting stolen?
Who is gonna steal luggage from underneath a seat?

Old 05-09-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I'm just saying, from that guy's perspective, as he was talking down about the blacks cursing and giving him the side-eye, that it might be an issue to him.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I'm just saying, from that guy's perspective, as he was talking down about the blacks cursing and giving him the side-eye, that it might be an issue to him.
'the blacks'?!

Old 05-09-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
'the blacks'?!
Well, which is it for you?

I've called them blacks, I've called them African-Americans, and both ways people get pissed.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:23 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Quote:
What do you care? If they're only taking up one seat it's no problem.
Quote:
An opportunist. All they have to do is wait till the doors are beeping to close, grab it and squeeze off the train. Personal Safety 101.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:58 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,062,786 times
Quote:
Under the seat is tough because you may want to leave that open for the person behind you to stretch their legs. Also, many bags won't fit there. And I really don't blame people for not wanting to leave bags in the front unattended and then go sit down.

Here are a couple of tips I learned in Japan that we could benefit from:

All subway cars have storage areas directly above the seats. They are great and everybody uses them.

The Narote Express, which goes to the airport, has these luggage compartments. You put your bag in, then tie a little string thing around it and put it back in. You select your own 4-digit code so nobody can take it. Then you go get it and the code automatically resets. It's ingenious. Even in a country like Japan where theft is really not a problem, people don't want to leave their bags completely vulnerable and unattended on a train.

So maybe instead of asking why people don't want to leave their bags unattended, a better question might be what is MARTA doing to enable people to separate from their belongings while feeling comfortable about it? (Answer: NOTHING)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: