Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 11:00 AM
bu2 bu2 started this thread

24,119 posts, read 14,921,281 times

Advertisements

Businesses evacuated for suspicious package investigation | 11alive.com

Suspicious package. Underground Atlanta is also being evacuated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 11:05 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,404,286 times
Any update on this situation, bu2? I couldn't find an update on various local news websites.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:14 AM

7,360 posts, read 6,538,614 times
All this mess for something the size of a SUITCASE!? It's either too small to cause damage outside a limited radius, or it's a NUKE and they need to evacuate the ENTIRE REGION! Why do we have the keystone cops running all the agencies? I mean seriously, WHY!?

Old 05-19-2017, 11:38 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,309,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
All this mess for something the size of a SUITCASE!? It's either too small to cause damage outside a limited radius, or it's a NUKE and they need to evacuate the ENTIRE REGION! Why do we have the keystone cops running all the agencies? I mean seriously, WHY!?
Yeah, they should just ignore it and hope for the best.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:41 AM

7,360 posts, read 6,538,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Yeah, they should just ignore it and hope for the best.
Really? I mean seriously? That's your response? You do know there's something in between total shutdown of a huge area and ignoring it right? Your attitude tells me that you really think they should actually evacuate the whole region just in case it actually IS a nuke!

Old 05-19-2017, 11:51 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,404,286 times
Quote:
I believe that we should proceed with great caution when human life may be in jeopardy. It is simply not worth taking the risk. Hopefully it is nothing, but even a pound of C4 can blow up a truck. Imagine if the suitcase contains 10 or 20 pounds of the stuff.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:51 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,309,801 times
Quote:
Really? I mean seriously? That's your response? You do know there's something in between total shutdown of a huge area and ignoring it right? Your attitude tells me that you really think they should actually evacuate the whole region just in case it actually IS a nuke!
You obviously know more about this situation which you are viewing from afar than the police who are actually on the scene. Oh wait, no, you don't know $h!t, so knock off the chest thumping.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:28 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,699,987 times
Quote:
A suitcase nuke is too complicated for a terrorist group, or most (if not all) rouge nations. The engineering is just too demanding. They're also too small and do too little damage for any normal nation to real consider them for a sneak attack.

What you'd really want to worry about would be dispersal bombs. They don't usually do a good job of throwing whatever (chemical, biological, or nuclear) very far, but wind / ventilation systems can complicate containment, so you evacuate for that.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:01 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,887,224 times
Just came through there. It is open now. No mention of it.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:21 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,833,008 times
Quote:
If you're in charge I think you have no choice but to take the safe option. What if it were sarin or anthrax or some other ultra toxic substance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: