Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 10:32 PM

19 posts, read 19,664 times

Advertisements

Hello guys,

I am living in Seattle right now, working for IBM. I got a job offer in Atlanta area (Alpharetta) to work with a big company there, but that would mean accepting a pay cut of 10k.
Adjusting COL, I would end up with almost same free money, it seems.

I am thinking about the position, as it is a stable company (unlike IBM, not laying off, etc) with a better technology stack (VMware, AWS and OpenStack).

The only thing that makes me think it's the area, would it be wise (from career to quality of living perspective) to leave Seattle, a tech hub to move to Atlanta area?

So far I didn't like Seattle winter, and COL is super high too (2k for rent a one bedroom). Not to mention if I move I could afford a house in the future.

I am making 105k in Seattle, making 95k in Alpharetta.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:40 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
GO for it! I am a software developer who is also planning on leaving Seattle, myself, because the cost of living and ever increasing taxes and fees are making it unbearable to live here. THis is coming from a Northwest native who lived over three decades here. You simply cannot make a good living and even think about long term retirement goals living in Seattle. Just like San Francisco Bay Area now, your software salary gives you the luxury of living in a glorified over-sized box. Many people rave at people who can afford their own 800 sq foot apartments in the city. EVen the suburbs of Seattle are costing a pretty penny. Less desirable towns like Lynnwood , Federal Way and Tacoma are even becoming very expensive. Supposedly Atlanta has a more booming tech market than Seattle and the cost of living is probably (realistically) about 30-40% less of Seattle. Georgia does have state income tax, so you have to think about that, but the high sales tax, car fees, gas tax, property taxes, liquor taxes and other taxes will offset some of the benefits of Washington's no income tax.

The only thing you will have to deal with is high heat and humidity in the summer and be aware there is a much higher crime rate. I am told that you will have to pay decent money to get into the safer areas of Atlanta which I believe Alpharetta would be from what some posters have told me.

I am very new to the Atlanta forum and only starting to learn more about Atlanta and its opportunities.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:41 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzamot View Post
Hello guys,

I am living in Seattle right now, working for IBM. I got a job offer in Atlanta area (Alpharetta) to work with a big company there, but that would mean accepting a pay cut of 10k.
Adjusting COL, I would end up with almost same free money, it seems.

I am thinking about the position, as it is a stable company (unlike IBM, not laying off, etc) with a better technology stack (VMware, AWS and OpenStack).

The only thing that makes me think it's the area, would it be wise (from career to quality of living perspective) to leave Seattle, a tech hub to move to Atlanta area?

So far I didn't like Seattle winter, and COL is super high too (2k for rent a one bedroom). Not to mention if I move I could afford a house in the future.

I am making 105k in Seattle, making 95k in Alpharetta.
Sure you would be taking a pay cut of $10k, but $95k still goes a long way in Atlanta and most likely would go noticeably farther in Atlanta than $105k would go in Seattle.

No need to worry about leaving a tech hub in Seattle....That's because Atlanta is an exploding tech hub in its own right in the Southeastern U.S.

(...As an aside, Atlanta is also an exploding national and international hub for television and film production in addition to already being a dominant hub of music production for the entire Sunbelt, Southeastern and East Coast regions.)

That $2k/monthly that you are currently spending on a one-bedroom apartment in Seattle also will in most cases most likely get you at least two (or more) bedrooms in Alpharetta and the Northern suburbs of Atlanta.

If you are open to adjusting to life in the Southeast, come on down and see if you like it. I think that you might.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:54 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Sure you would be taking a pay cut of $10k, but $95k still goes a long way in Atlanta and most likely would go noticeably farther in Atlanta than $105k would go in Seattle.

No need to worry about leaving a tech hub in Seattle....That's because Atlanta is an exploding tech hub in its own right in the Southeastern U.S.

(...As an aside, Atlanta is also an exploding national and international hub for television and film production in addition to already being a dominant hub of music production for the entire Sunbelt, Southeastern and East Coast regions.)

That $2k/monthly that you are currently spending on a one-bedroom apartment in Seattle also will in most cases most likely get you at least two (or more) bedrooms in Alpharetta and the Northern suburbs of Atlanta.

If you are open to adjusting to life in the Southeast, come on down and see if you like it. I think that you might.
B2r is correct. I moved here about a year and a half ago from an area that's much more expensive than Seattle. I came from the San Francisco Bay area. I rent a three bedroom house in a nice safe neighborhood and pay 1650 in rent. The same house back in California in an equivalent neighborhood will run about $24,000 a year more.
You might take a $10,000 pay cut, but take a look to see how the tax situation works for you. The pay cut you take can easily be a wash when it comes to your housing. Your current salary doesn't make it easy to buy house but here you certainly will be able to.
The areas around Alpharetta are extremely safe so don't worry about the crime at all. Also there are so many transplants hear that you should fit in pretty easily. I would say take a trip out here and you might be pleasantly surprised how nice it is.
Every so often I think about moving back to California, but I look at how much money I save living here and quite frankly it just isn't worth going back there to me.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:39 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
A bit off topic and I don't know the OP's situation, but what would living in one of these northern suburbs be like for a single , non-married person without kids? Is there any nightlife, activities, social infrastructure accommodating to those who don't have kids and families. It seems so many suburbs of many cities (including Seattle) are pretty dull and boring for a non-family person. The typical suburban lifestyles seem to revolve around church, family or going shopping at the malls, etc.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:11 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
A bit off topic and I don't know the OP's situation, but what would living in one of these northern suburbs be like for a single , non-married person without kids? Is there any nightlife, activities, social infrastructure accommodating to those who don't have kids and families. It seems so many suburbs of many cities (including Seattle) are pretty dull and boring for a non-family person. The typical suburban lifestyles seem to revolve around church, family or going shopping at the malls, etc.
That's a good question.

In regards to Alpharetta, there are local nightlife options as well as festivals and community events in the nearby historic village area of Downtown Roswell as well as in the upstart village area of Downtown Alpharetta and at popular mixed-use developments like Alpharetta's Avalon.

There will also be local nightlife options at neighborhood bars and pubs throughout North Fulton County.

But like in any major metropolitan area that is anchored by a major city, much (if not most) of the nightlife and social activity will likely consist of commuting to bars, festivals, social events, cultural events and sporting events in nearby Atlanta.

Also, like has sometimes been suggested in the past on these relocation threads, there likely may be opportunities for a robust level of social opportunities and social exchange through the Atlanta chapter of one's alumni association of their post-secondary (college) alma mater of favorite college sports team, if their alma mater and/or college sports team has an active alumni club chapter in the Atlanta area.

Being active in the local/regional alumni club chapter of one's alma mater or of one's favorite college sports team can often be a very good way to integrate into a new community socially, culturally and emotionally.

That's because those local alumni club chapters often meet up on a frequent basis to watch football and basketball games, attend local sporting events, go to social and cultural events, fundraisers, volunteer in community projects, etc.

Local alumni club chapters of one's alma mater and/or of one's favorite college sports teams can be really good ways (and a really good starting point) to meet people and make friends after moving to a new community, especially in large transient-dominated communities like Atlanta.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:16 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
Alpharetta was a little too 'family-oriented' for me. Then I moved to Sandy Springs and was much happier. Felt like I fit in much better, as a single guy. Lots more fun stuff to do, and just plain closer to town.

I'd say live in Sandy Springs if you work in Alpharetta. It's a good location compromise- offers you the reverse commute pretty quick up 400 to work, then also offers you easy access to anywhere you like in the city for nights and weekends. And you have MARTA access.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:12 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Visit for a while first. Don't come and then be one of those people who is constantly complaining that Atlanta is not as good as (insert city I moved here from here). I've never been to Seattle, but I imagine the culture is much, much different. See if you dig ours. If not, having a bit more money isn't going to do diddly squat in the life satisfaction department. Also, if you have a lot of friends there, why would you leave them behind and move to a place where you have to make all new friends? Not so easy in your 30s.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:13 AM

821 posts, read 726,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Quick answer, no. It's very family oriented. If you want fun move ITP.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:10 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,035,578 times
Do you have any savings? What kind of lifestyle are you looking for? How old are you? Any family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta