Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2017, 07:13 PM

16,731 posts, read 29,628,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
We should call all of South Downtown "Terminus". Sort of like how Philly's Downtown is Center City, it could be something historical and unique to Atlanta.
Good stuff, demonta.

Yes--I do think "South Downtown" needs another name. Terminus would be good. Even though I think Terminus would be better as a name for the area in and around Downtown Atlanta if the City of Atlanta went to a borough system:

//www.city-data.com/forum/48070902-post64.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta#History

For "South Downtown," I like the name Marthasville. And Garnett would be re-named Marthasville Station.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marthasville,_Georgia

For the Omni/Stadium/West of Olympic Park Area, I think the area should be christened Thrasherville. Stretching from around the former AJC building along Marietta Street up to and through the GWCC (and west of Olympic Park). The crazy-named (GWCC/Omni/Phillips Arena, etc., etc.) station would be re-named Thrasherville Station.

Historical Markers by County - GeorgiaInfo

https://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=59670

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Thrasher

Last edited by aries4118; 08-04-2017 at 07:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 07:47 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,905,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Good stuff, demonta.

Yes--I do think "South Downtown" needs another name. Terminus would be good. Even though I think Terminus would be better as a name for the area in and around Downtown Atlanta if the City of Atlanta went to a borough system:

//www.city-data.com/forum/48070902-post64.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta#History

For "South Downtown," I like the name Marthasville. And Garnett would be re-named Marthasville Station.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marthasville,_Georgia
The Gulch is on the edge mostly serving as one of the boundaries of South Downtown. The MMPT should not share a name with that area as the MMPT should be named as something that identifies it as a central station for the whole city.

South Downtown is a good name for that area. There have been multiple attempts to rebrand the area with other terrible names such as "Government Walk" and the "Railroad District". But those thankfully those never stuck. Lets stick with South Downtown, the key point of a name is that people know what / where you are talking about and "South Downtown" does that well.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
The Gulch is on the edge mostly serving as one of the boundaries of South Downtown. The MMPT should not share a name with that area as the MMPT should be named as something that identifies it as a central station for the whole city.

South Downtown is a good name for that area. There have been multiple attempts to rebrand the area with other terrible names such as "Government Walk" and the "Railroad District". But those thankfully those never stuck. Lets stick with South Downtown, the key point of a name is that people know what / where you are talking about and "South Downtown" does that well.

I'm not totally understanding, but to some of what you said--No.

The MMPT should be named Grand Five Points Station/Grand Five Points Terminal or Five Points Station/Five Points Terminal. Perfect names for the central station for the whole city.

"South Downtown" should be called Marthasville.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:25 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,905,514 times
Quote:
The MMPT should be named Grand Five Points Station/Grand Five Points Terminal or Five Points Station/Five Points Terminal. Perfect names for the central station for the whole city.
Those names are fine.

Quote:
"South Downtown" should be called Marthasville.
I don't see that happening short of you selling Newport on calling their project and the area that. I stay fairly connected to the area and everyone seems fine calling it South Downtown even though there are still signs in the area labeling it "Government Walk".

Old 08-04-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Those names are fine.

I don't see that happening short of you selling Newport on calling their project and the area that. I stay fairly connected to the area and everyone seems fine calling it South Downtown even though there are still signs in the area labeling it "Government Walk".
ok.

There's a lot that we can describe as "don't see happening," but cities become great when they think outside of the box.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:32 AM

653 posts, read 530,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I guess I somewhat agree, and somewhat disagree.

To be fair, South Downtown is going to be on the rise soon, which along with other projects could pull the center of gravity southward- though, yes, the center of activity will likely always be north of Five Points.

Lindbergh would be a great 'North Hub' to complement Five Points as 'South Hub'. But, the problem is how do you get trains from Cobb to there, without a super expensive $$$ billions tunnel, that would take decades before it opened.

And Midtown doesn't have any railroad corridors. Downtown has all the corridors, all converging there. So it makes some sense as a passenger railroad hub.
If it's expensive now it'll be even more so in the future. If it takes decades now it'll take decades in the future. If those are the reasons to not start that project today then you just have to write it of entirely.

But put me down on the record as saying that not having a northern hub will doom any large scale transit overhaul to being suboptimal and viewed by the public as a failure. Maybe it's in Lindbergh, maybe it's elsewhere - I'm not an expert so I cannot say for sure.

I appreciate all the great views expressed by the people here who are way smarter than me. But I honestly do think many transportation enthusiast operate in an echo chamber. Don't take that as mean spirited - I'm only trying to help. If you want to sell non enthusiasts on transit design something they want - something that is optimal to lower traffic and commute times. Large groups of people in Cobb, in Gwinnett, in Alpharetta; they don't care about density, central stations, or anything along those lines. They just want to get home from work to see their family.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:00 AM
bu2

24,136 posts, read 14,977,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Oh, have to add this tasty little quote from the bottom of the $140 article -

Whoa. That's a Georgia Republican talking
Stupid mindless drivel. When I hear a phrase like "we need to do this to become world class" you know they haven't thought through the justification for it. You do things because they are useful to your city, not simply because you want to copy other cities.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:06 AM
bu2

24,136 posts, read 14,977,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I guess I somewhat agree, and somewhat disagree.

To be fair, South Downtown is going to be on the rise soon, which along with other projects could pull the center of gravity southward- though, yes, the center of activity will likely always be north of Five Points.

Lindbergh would be a great 'North Hub' to complement Five Points as 'South Hub'. But, the problem is how do you get trains from Cobb to there, without a super expensive $$$ billions tunnel, that would take decades before it opened.

And Midtown doesn't have any railroad corridors. Downtown has all the corridors, all converging there. So it makes some sense as a passenger railroad hub.
There's actually more office space in the Perimeter area than in downtown. The center of employment and population is well north of downtown. That needs to be considered in any planning. You shouldn't get stuck on a plan based on how Atlanta was 50 years ago.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Stupid mindless drivel. When I hear a phrase like "we need to do this to become world class" you know they haven't thought through the justification for it. You do things because they are useful to your city, not simply because you want to copy other cities.
True this.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:08 PM

9,815 posts, read 7,978,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
There's actually more office space in the Perimeter area than in downtown. The center of employment and population is well north of downtown. That needs to be considered in any planning. You shouldn't get stuck on a plan based on how Atlanta was 50 years ago.
True, and it's been this way for a while now. Downtown & Midtown combined however have over 48 million sq ft of office space, a pretty impressive number.

Most commercial real estate types consider Peachtree & 14th to be the center of gravity for the Metro market currently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta