Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 10:00 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
A better question should be why is the author just focused on 'black' people and not Hispanic, Asian, Indian, etc?

So so almost 44 years of Black leadership and he is not satisfied with the results? Would another 44 years make any difference?

There is much needed diversity in the city government because right now it isn't very diverse at all and that is where the problem lies. I remember an article in the AJC where they said 80% of elected and city government employees were black. Where is the diversity? How did that happen? You have to fix that first.
City govt is pretty diverse, have you ever been down to 68 Mitchell St during the day?
Used to work for COA almost a decade ago and there were quite a few white, Indian and Hispanic people working for COA even back then. My direct supervisor was Indian and her boss was White and about 30% of my team wasn't Black. Can't speak for all departments, but the racial makeup in my office did not reflect the racial makeup of the city. And we're talking pre gentrification ATL, early to mid 2000's. I'm sure it s even more diverse now. The city leadership may be majority Black but I assure you the regular folks workin for COA are all shades and colors. I'm sure quite a few of y'all would be astounded at the number of Indians that work for COA.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:06 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,519,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
City govt is pretty diverse, have you ever been down to 68 Mitchell St during the day?
. I'm sure quite a few of y'all would be astounded at the number of Indians that work for COA.
In I.T.?

Old 08-11-2017, 10:09 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Christ, could you imagine an editorial titled "The Dangers Of A Black Mayor In [City]"? The social media response would bend the time-space continuum.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:10 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Hmm. A bit exaggerated, but he does have some interesting observations. However, I don't think any mayor can solve his "top down growth" conundrum.
And Mary Norwood doesn't strike me as a conservative Republican, although she is white.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:12 AM

But how will Moesha and Darnel get a city job if their is a white mayor?

Old 08-11-2017, 10:14 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
We've had some excellent black mayors and some not-so-good black mayors. We've had some excellent white mayors and some not-so-good white mayors.

In a truly progressive city one would hope that at some point we can move beyond characterizing our politics in racial terms.
If you are classifying Kasim and Andrew and Maynard as "excellent," then "horrible" would be a much better description than "not-so-good" for Mayor Reed's two immediate predecessors. Getting thrown in jail and nearly bankrupting the city don't qualify you as "not-so-good."

Old 08-11-2017, 10:17 AM

Wasn't Andrew Young the mayor that hated all the historical buildings because he thought they symbolized racism? Itseems like under his tenure that Atlanta suffered teh greatest loss of historic architecture since Sherman

Last edited by AUGnative; 08-11-2017 at 10:37 AM..

Old 08-11-2017, 10:38 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,478,601 times
This is highly interesting to me and Sounds kinda Crazy/ racist Too!! What sounds even crazier is how we stereo type Atlanta, I had to shake my head... What is even Crazier is how we describe our Black culture,,, ATL of Box Chevys and FreakNik...What we fail to realize is that Atlanta is really just a very small Area of around 134sq. miles with about 470,000 in a Red state that to be honest the Mayor has very little control over... Only with in his 134sq Miles. Suburbs and everything else in the state are not his Jurisdiction.. The state it's self is ran by a White Republican Governor and that's all that really matters and controls a majority of the Laws, Over all rule... What if the Title was dangers of a Black Governor in Georgia.,, now that will never happen... Interesting one too... I know some don't want to hear it but When it comes down to it, this is still Georgia/ Heart of Dixie, no matter how much we want to blacken it up. We have our districts and that's pretty much it... Just being honest.. Really wish we could get past all this Chocolate City/White majority rule/ who's in charge this, who's in charge that... Why cant we just be a United American City of Atlanta that embraces all Races and Cultures.. Turns my stomach every time

Last edited by oobanks; 08-11-2017 at 11:04 AM..

Old 08-11-2017, 11:05 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
And Mary Norwood doesn't strike me as a conservative Republican, although she is white.
Nor is she in favor of unchecked gentrification. Quite the contrary.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:08 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,486,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
This is highly interesting to me and Sounds kinda Crazy/ racist Too!! What sounds even crazier is how we stereo type Atlanta, I had to shake my head... What is even Crazier is how we describe our Black culture,,, ATL of Box Chevys and FreakNik...What we fail to realize is that Atlanta is really just a very small Area of around 134sq. miles with about 470,000 in a Red state that to be honest the Mayor has very little control over... Only with in his 134sq Miles. Suburbs and everything else in the state are not his Jurisdiction.. The state it's self is ran by a White Republican Governor and that's all that really matters and controls a majority of the Laws, Over all rule... What if the Title was dangers of a Black Governor in Georgia.,, now that will never happen... Interesting one too... I know some don't want to hear it but When it comes down to it, this is still Georgia/ Heart of Dixie, no matter how much we want to blacken it up. We have our districts and that's pretty much it... Just being honest.. Really wish we could get past all this Chocolate City/White majority rule/ who's in charge this, who's in charge that... Why cant we just be a United American City of Atlanta that embraces all Races and Cultures.. Turns my stomach every time
Bingo...

Atlanta is ultimately in the same boat that Birmingham, Memphis, New Orleans, and Richmond (to a certain extent) currently are in when it comes. All of these other places are known just a much as Atlanta for their long line of "black" mayors and leadership, but these places are still in socially conservative (except maybe Richmond in Virginia) states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta