Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 11:05 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times

Advertisements

Well back to the topic, Confederate Avenue's name should be up to the residents. There is no Confederate Veterans Home there anymore and hasn't been for probably close to a century. Sounds like it was simply used as a descriptor for the street. The residents are the ones who will have to bear the cost of changing their addresses and stationary. The cost will be biggest to anyone with a business.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:12 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
No.
Well the zip codes it is in were 56% and 63% Black in the 2010 census. Whatever the population on the specific street, it is almost certainly pretty mixed and not some lily white enclave as implied in the post I was questioning.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:20 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Well the zip codes it is in were 56% and 63% Black in the 2010 census. Whatever the population on the specific street, it is almost certainly pretty mixed and not some lily white enclave as implied in the post I was questioning.
There is an apartment complex that is mostly black. The rest of the street is single family homes occupied almost entirely by white people.

This is about as lily white as you can possibly get. On Confederate: larkandsparrownails

Old 08-18-2017, 11:43 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The motives behind these monuments were mixed. Obviously many of them were intended to honor and glorify the Confederacy and it's heroes. The "Lost Cause" hagiography had become very popular in the south and,to some extent, even in the north.

But it's equally obvious that the predominant cause of the Civil War was the preservation of slavery. In the late 1800s and early 1900s Jim Crow and white supremacy were resurgent and it's impossible to disassociate these monuments from that. And during the Civil Rights era they clearly became symbols of the opposition.

I don't like the idea of sterilizing history but I have no problem with putting these statues in a museum instead of displaying them in the public square.
After the civil war half the CSA were nearly half black, they put them up in the first place against wishes of the black population in which they didn't care about and had poltical goal and discriminating against the black population.

In 1870 the black made this percentage of following states.

AL 47%
GA 46%
MS 53%
LA 50%
SC 58%

these monuments where put up against the wishes on the black population as they ignore they black population and disfranchised them, with Jim Crow laws which cause the great migration.

After the civil rather then take on idea that South was wrong... they continue the notion the South was right.

Their nothing noble either they are one of the bluntly racist leaders or they follow the racist leaders and committed treason fought and killed there follow Americans for terrible cause.

And let's not kid ourselves they were not put up in shame to "learn a lesson " they was put up for the opposite to paint them as heroes. In there racist world they couldn't imagine people not being racist, now modernity it's out of place since America doesn't have those racist values to why they were put up.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:45 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Agree it should be up to the residents.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:18 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
After the civil war half the CSA were nearly half black, they put them up in the first place against wishes of the black population in which they didn't care about and had poltical goal and discriminating against the black population.

In 1870 the black made this percentage of following states.

AL 47%
GA 46%
MS 53%
LA 50%
SC 58%

these monuments where put up against the wishes on the black population as they ignore they black population and disfranchised them, with Jim Crow laws which cause the great migration.

After the civil rather then take on idea that South was wrong... they continue the notion the South was right.

Their nothing noble either they are one of the bluntly racist leaders or they follow the racist leaders and committed treason fought and killed there follow Americans for terrible cause.

And let's not kid ourselves they were not put up in shame to "learn a lesson " they was put up for the opposite to paint them as heroes. In there racist world they couldn't imagine people not being racist, now modernity it's out of place since America doesn't have those racist values to why they were put up.
I don't remember in school learning what a high % of the population was slave in certain states. It was lower in the upper south. It certainly demonstrates how large the great migration was. The % of slaves in the 1860 census was a little lower (but in the same ballpark) but that did not include free blacks.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:21 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I guess we need to start brainstorming new names for the nation's capital, the Evergreen State and the Mississippi, Texas and Missouri state capitals while we're at it.
Isnt it just getting juicy LD? Isnt it just a FUN FUN time?

Old 08-18-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
And Memorial Drive. And Gwinnett County. And Henry County. And Covington. And Spalding Drive. And Roswell. And Roswell Road(both of them!). And any street with 'Pace' in it. And Clayton County. And Grant Park.
I'm exhausted.
Very interesting. Doing my GOOGLES.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I love that the old main route (US 1) through all of SE Florida from Palm Beach to Homestead is called DIXIE HIGHWAY. It's like a spike through the hearts of all those obnoxious South Floridians who insist that Florida is NOT southern in any way, shape or form. FYI this is NOT an endorsement of the confederate South or the concept of DIXIE. It's just an amusing observation that Florida, despite arguments to the contrary, is still a Southern State.

Floridians never calls US 1 Dixie Highway. NEVER

Old 08-18-2017, 01:14 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,478,601 times
What affect will the this have on my all time Favorite Kids TV show of all Time, " The Dukes of Hazzard" Based and filmed right here in the Atlanta Metro. Me even being a black Male is Highly sadden by this. I in no way ever felt as though the Show was racist but reminded me more of the good times and my Child hood here in Georgia and the good ol days!! The dukes, heading into Atlanta from Hazzard County off to catch boss hogg In his tricks and end up having to save him.. Always family friendly but never have I picked up on any racism!!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/362181...anned-history/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta