Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2006, 01:08 PM

13 posts, read 153,522 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about attending Georgia State University in the fall and want to know more about downtown Atlanta where GSU is located. I've been to downtown Atlanta once and it was beautiful (I did see a good amount of bums though). How is the area around Georgia State University at night. Are there more crimes at night? Are college students victims of crimes in this area? Any info would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2006, 08:29 PM

31 posts, read 149,230 times
GSU is a pretty good school especially the business school. It is very spread out in downtown and the current dorms are not very close to where your classes will be, you will have to take MARTA if you live in those dorms. Tons of bums down there especially in one of the parks near there (i forgot the name of it). Every once in a while I hear about crimes against students down there but not too often. Mainly bc GSU is a commuter school and most students dont stay downtown at night. It is smart of you to investigate the city of atlanta as well bc GSU is truly part of the city with little defined campus like Ga Tech has. I know that few kids right out of high school (18) go there bc they are looking for a more traditional college atmosphere which GSU simply can't provide. I would recommend living in another part of Atlanta near a marta station and taking that to class rather than living right near the campus (if you dont plan to live in the dorms).

Old 12-08-2006, 09:54 PM

85 posts, read 505,498 times
There are certainly a fair amount of homeless. I almost went to grad school at GSU (found the school too cocky for my taste however) and checked it out pretty thoughly. I also went downtown ATL on business once a week while I lived there.

I found that although there are a lot of homless they don't seem to be as aggressive as some other cities. Basically, if you just keep walking they don't seem to take much note of you. I never felt unsafe even at night, and personally never had a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta