Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2017, 10:02 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
I agree. Cops shouldn't even be in the same ballpark physically as civilians. If it's your job to be in the streets all day everyday, then a skinny college kid should not be able to stand any chance of squaring up with you, tiny knife or not. Not to mention that you should be able to think quick on your feet in situations like these, If I can look at the way a guys shirt is hanging at his waist and tell if he has weapon, then "professionally trained" officers whose job it is to be in the streets should be able to discern the same as well. Police are a problem, and it's not a race thing in my eyes, it's a problem of poorly trained morons with too much power and no street smarts. And in a job where you have the power of life and death, thats probably the worst combination you can have.
How do know if they are poorly trained? Or are you assuming that because they didn't handle it like you think they should. Have you had professional training? If so what how should it have gone down if done professionally?
I saw his picture, he didn't look so skinny. I don't agree that you should ever make assumptions based on how someone looks versus how dangerous they could be.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:17 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
The kid had a knife AND TOLD THE POLICE HE HAD A GUN TOO. They couldn't ignore the threat.
Then why do cops carry pepper spray, if the appropriate response to any perceived threat is "shoot to kill"?

Old 09-19-2017, 11:36 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,354,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Then why do cops carry pepper spray, if the appropriate response to any perceived threat is "shoot to kill"?
LOL pepper spray is not going to be the answer when you received a call that there is a person with a gun. Talk about bringing a butter knife to a gun fight.....

This person knew exactly what they were doing by calling the police and saying there was someone with a gun and knife on campus. They wanted to die.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:17 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,892 times
Question for those that always make the excuse that cops had no choice but to shoot. How is it that so many other modern countries are able to have law enforcement officers that are SO much better at handling situations like these? I mean like, you're just not going to sit there and convince that a dude standing there holding a pocket knife posed too much of a threat to taze or pepper spray. Its pretty pathetic really.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:19 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,878,536 times
Cops are almost never convicted, he might be charged but close to zero chance of a conviction. Family has a good chance at a lawsuit that is about it. Cops are taught to shoot to stop the threat and that is what the cop did.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Question for those that always make the excuse that cops had no choice but to shoot. How is it that so many other modern countries are able to have law enforcement officers that are SO much better at handling situations like these? I mean like, you're just not going to sit there and convince that a dude standing there holding a pocket knife posed too much of a threat to taze or pepper spray. Its pretty pathetic really.

What countries are you talking about for comparison?

I would argue it is pretty pathetic to call the police and tell them there is someone out there with a gun and a knife where the police could mistakenly kill or injure someone else all because you want to commit suicide by cop.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Cops are almost never convicted, he might be charged but close to zero chance of a conviction. Family has a good chance at a lawsuit that is about it. Cops are taught to shoot to stop the threat and that is what the cop did.

They have no chance after it came out that he is the one that planned this out and called the cops.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:30 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
The assclown that pulled a knife, wouldn't back down, and told the police, "Kill me."
I'm glad police in building jumper suicide scenarios don't shrug their shoulders and tell the sad sack to go ahead and jump.

Somehow they manage to put thought into what they're doing and figure out a way to reach an outcome in which everyone lives. They get that from training.

On a college campus, it should be assumed that there will be a lot of students experimenting with drugs and alcohol, dealing with psychological issues, breakup issues, sex issues, the stress of school work and taking care of themselves away from home for the first time in their lives. As a result of this, erratic student behavior should be expected from time to time, and it's totally reasonable to expect law enforcement and campus security to have training in dealing with these situations. Frankly, it's totally UNreasonable that they don't. Shoot to kill should be only for the most extreme scenarios. This scenario doesn't come close to approaching that level of danger. This situation could have been ended with one smartly placed whack of a nightstick.

Cop 1 shines his flashlight in the perps face, cop 2 takes a swing while he's blinded. Everyone lives.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:30 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
This guy could have easily gotten a truly innocent person killed with his false 911 call about a gunman. Death should never be celebrated but better it happened to this individual then an innocent person because of the deceased's reckless behavior.
That happened, I think in Lawrenceville in the last year or so. There was a 911 call about hearing shots. Police came about 2 am, but to the wrong house. A 60 year old ex-vet heard people around his house in the middle of the night, stepped out with his gun and was shot and killed. They think the 911 call was just a prank. (and to answer the obvious question-he was white)

Old 09-19-2017, 12:31 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
It is amazing to me that people can't see this. When someone calls the police and says there is someone with a gun it has to be taken seriously. This was a mentally deranged person who wanted this result to happen as evidenced by Them calling the cops and leaving the suicide notes. They got the end result that They wanted. This isn't the fault of the GT Police.
I don't think anybody is claiming that the GTPD is definitely in the wrong and Scout was definitely in the right. What I'd like to see is how we can raise awareness for suicidal tendencies, particularly for those who are not gender binary, like Scout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta